Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 08:03 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,113,183 times

Advertisements

Aren't most suburbs considered to be nicer than Bensalem? Just lay out a map of the region, close your eyes, and place a finger. See where your finger is pointing and move there. Odds are, you'll be moving on up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,771,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Aren't most suburbs considered to be nicer than Bensalem? Just lay out a map of the region, close your eyes, and place a finger. See where your finger is pointing and move there. Odds are, you'll be moving on up.
How ironic that Money Magazine ( I know it's just a magazine) chose Abington and Bensalem as two of the best places to live. Most people know Bensalem by Street Rd and never see the nice parts.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,113,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
How ironic that Money Magazine ( I know it's just a magazine) chose Abington and Bensalem as two of the best places to live. Most people know Bensalem by Street Rd and never see the nice parts.
What were the criteria they used? Even with its nice parts, there's just no way that could be true. Best places in this entire, gigantic country? Bensalem? Nah. It's not even the best in Lower Bucks.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,771,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
What were the criteria they used? Even with its nice parts, there's just no way that could be true. Best places in this entire, gigantic country? Bensalem? Nah. It's not even the best in Lower Bucks.
//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...-abington.html

Old 09-20-2013, 04:08 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,859,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post

They picked Bensalem because of liberal thinking. Diversity wins big points and those two towns have it.. I can think of many areas better then Bensalem they could have picked.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:27 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,981,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
They picked Bensalem because of liberal thinking. Diversity wins big points and those two towns have it.. I can think of many areas better then Bensalem they could have picked.
Bensalem isn't even incredibly diverse.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:59 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,487,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1769 View Post
Hi everyone! My husband (28) and I (24) currently rent in Bensalem, and to be honest, we hate it we are really hoping to buy a home or at least get an apartment in a different suburb. We are working professionals and people who work seem to be few and far between in our apartment complex. Any advice? Would prefer NOT Philadelphia county because of the school district. I am from Johnstown, PA originally which is why I am unfamiliar.

When are you moving? Hopefully November-January
Where are you coming from? Bensalem
Why are you moving? We really do not like Bensalem. The area is certainly on the decline and is not particularly safe. The school districts also receive poor ratings.
Where will you be working? I work in Trevose, husband in South Philly
Have you been here yet? Yes

Will you buy or rent? Buy preferably
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Around 230 K
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? Prefer PA

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married but we plan to have children soon
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? Yes a cat
Do you want or need a yard. Would be nice
Are you keeping a car? Yes 2
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? No preference

What do you want to be closest to?
Work most important
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) yes
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? We are Jewish so it would be nice to live near a synagogue- diversity is fine but we do not want to stand out so much like we do here in Bensalem
The OP wants to move out of Bensalem. It doesn't matter what Money magazine said, or how they picked it as far as she's concerned. Please posters, don't derail this thread by talking about how diverse Bensalem is. The OP is clearly asking for another town to live in.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-20-2013 at 09:09 AM..

Old 09-20-2013, 12:23 PM

640 posts, read 1,294,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The OP wants to move out of Bensalem. It doesn't matter what Money magazine said, or how they picked it as far as she's concerned. Please posters, don't derail this thread by talking about how diverse Bensalem is. The OP is clearly asking for another town to live in.
Right DUH

back to the OP

I think the suggestions of jenkintown,elkins park and abington are really good.but the commute would be killer for your husband.

commute for your husband south jersey maybe best check out cherry hill,nj Or towns like cinnamision which is a good halfway point yet close to 95 for both of you.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:05 PM

22 posts, read 45,968 times
Thanks. I think he would be fine with it- he used to commute from Huntingdon Valley and was fine with it. Sounds like we still have a lot of searching to do- the houses that we've checked out in Abington so far haven't been on very nice streets, but the right one will come along

Old 09-20-2013, 01:48 PM

10,225 posts, read 16,796,725 times
where in south philly is the commute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia