U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2013, 03:22 PM
 
128 posts, read 485,354 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

I appreciate all the feedback everyone. Definitely gives me a lot more to think about and reconsider. Could I also ask then for those people who didn't think much of KOP, where would be a better alternative for me to consider? Someone had mentioned Wayne. I've been there before but don't really know much about it? Are there nice updated houses and nicer suburban communities and neighborhoods with less of that traffic but plenty of shopping and restaurants there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2013, 07:02 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
4,614 posts, read 6,271,014 times
Reputation: 7809
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
I appreciate all the feedback everyone. Definitely gives me a lot more to think about and reconsider. Could I also ask then for those people who didn't think much of KOP, where would be a better alternative for me to consider? Someone had mentioned Wayne. I've been there before but don't really know much about it? Are there nice updated houses and nicer suburban communities and neighborhoods with less of that traffic but plenty of shopping and restaurants there?
Wayne is completely different from KOP. First of all, it's on the Main Line and a lot more expensive. It has a very charming downtown with shops and restaurants. Taxes are probably a lot higher.

You are only minutes away from these towns -- why don't you just take a tour yourself so you can get a feel for these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2013, 05:25 PM
 
128 posts, read 485,354 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Wayne is completely different from KOP. First of all, it's on the Main Line and a lot more expensive. It has a very charming downtown with shops and restaurants. Taxes are probably a lot higher.

You are only minutes away from these towns -- why don't you just take a tour yourself so you can get a feel for these areas?
Yes I've been to Wayne before few times but not enough to say I know enough about it I suppose. It's been quite some time since my last visit there but I think I will try and take a stroll there next time I can.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 AM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,966,926 times
Reputation: 420
Apparently KOP (Upper Merion Twp) has some positives, since a lot of people live there. I'm sure Wayne is great, but it's also going to be a lot more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 01:27 PM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Reputation: 1586
I regret if I gave the impression that KOP is a bad place to live. It has it's faults, which have been listed here but there's nothing really that bad. I would object to being isolated in the western burbs because it's hard to get to but in a metro this large and sprawling that may be the case no matter where you land when you are so far from the center. So much depends on finding a house that you like and can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 01:33 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,966,926 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I regret if I gave the impression that KOP is a bad place to live. It has it's faults, which have been listed here but there's nothing really that bad. I would object to being isolated in the western burbs because it's hard to get to but in a metro this large and sprawling that may be the case no matter where you land when you are so far from the center. So much depends on finding a house that you like and can afford.
I wouldn't necessarily want to live in KOP either, due to the congestion. On the other hand, it is centrally located in the region, has good highway access, is a huge job center, is close to a number of nice towns, is reasonably priced, has decent schools, and needless to say has a lot of retail options. So, there are always pro's and con's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 01:59 PM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Reputation: 1586
I guess I still think of the city as the sun that the other planets move around and KOP is Pluto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 02:26 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I guess I still think of the city as the sun that the other planets move around and KOP is Pluto.
Naw, Pluto is somewhere around Thorndale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 02:39 PM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Naw, Pluto is somewhere around Thorndale.
They say now that Pluto isn't a real planet, which is appropriate because KOP isn't a real town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 02:48 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
They say now that Pluto isn't a real planet, which is appropriate because KOP isn't a real town.
But Pluto is also extremely remote. And most suburbs aren't "real towns."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top