U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 03:20 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Erdenheim would be considered to be part of inner-ring suburbs of Philadelphia. To this end, it's a very mature, historic, and established area. I also would definitely would describe this as an area with character compared to more modern, endless tract-housing suburbia.

It's solidly middle-class and I think underrated, due to its proximity to the city.
This was my point. I wasn't trying to argue with other posters. The area is mature and established. Erdenheim does have character, but to Bryson's point, it is surrounded on some sides by tract-housing.

If the OP wants to dig a little deeper into the area's history, check this out. It's sad.

Whitemarsh Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Demolition of Stotesbury's Mansion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Eh, I think we're splitting hairs, here. I honestly don't always see the need to parse the differences between the all of little the municipal boundaries in the Philly area. The differences are often very miniscule, and it tends to mean nothing to people from outside of the area.

Erdenheim would be considered to be part of inner-ring suburbs of Philadelphia. To this end, it's a very mature, historic, and established area. I also would definitely would describe this as an area with character compared to more modern, endless tract-housing suburbia.

It's solidly middle-class and I think underrated, due to its proximity to the city.
I tend to disagree about the need to parse differences in neighboring communities. I also don't agree that Erdenheim is underrated, whether due to it's proximity to the city or not. After all it's proximity is to Chestnut Hill. Also no one expects to find endless tract housing suburbia anywhere near Philadelphia (this isn't Las Vegas) so that Erdenheim escaping that description doesn't translate in to character. I think your description of the larger area that contains Erdenheim in general is pretty accurate but incomplete, which limits it's usefulness.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'll split some more by saying that Erdenheim is nowhere near Glenside, but has a Glenside ZIP Code.

The boundaries of Erdenheim -- loosely -- are Stenton Avenue, Wissahickon Avenue / Haws Lane, and Paper Mill Road. It's surrounded by Chestnut Hill, Flourtown, and Wyndmoor (not Wyndmere).

Hope that helps.........
Thanks Ohiogirl......I tried to find those boundries on the map but somehow I am more confused then I was before. It's not your fault. It's mine. I had an Aunt who lived on Paper Mill Rd for 20 years (in a split level tract house) and my cousins went to Springfield schools so I do know something about the area. My poor brain doesn't work the way it used to (nor do my fingers) It's a good thing I retired when I did.

Last edited by bryson662001; 09-24-2013 at 10:16 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 04:26 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,752,720 times
If you're into Retro homes (I am, by the way), then Erdenheim, Wyndmore (sp) and Oreland have some of the coolest around. Drive through those three small town and see for yourself.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:58 AM

33,068 posts, read 61,890,891 times
There sure are some incredibly awesome tri-level houses and 1950s ranches in the area! I'm pea green with envy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Thanks Ohiogirl......I tried to find those boundries on the map but somehow I am more confused then I was before.
Well, since Erdenheim isn't a real place - meaning it's not incorporated as a separate town - it doesn't really have cut-and-dried boundaries anyway, right?

I bet I would have loved your aunt's house!

Old 09-25-2013, 07:23 AM
LHM LHM started this thread

204 posts, read 356,483 times
Thanks everyone. Sounds like there quite a variety of housing stock. Is it a safe area? How is crime? Is it walkable?

Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 AM

127 posts, read 261,425 times
Quote:
I'll split some more by saying that Erdenheim is nowhere near Glenside, but has a Glenside ZIP Code.

The boundaries of Erdenheim -- loosely -- are Stenton Avenue, Wissahickon Avenue / Haws Lane, and Paper Mill Road. It's surrounded by Chestnut Hill, Flourtown, and Wyndmoor (not Wyndmere).

Hope that helps.

Read about Erdenheim:

The Hill Was Not Amused Irked By A Nearby Amusement Park, Chestnut Hill Residents Had It Shut Down In 1912. - Philly.com

GC40J6K End of the Line (Traditional Cache) in Pennsylvania, United States created by rreynold

A Pond Passes Magic Through Generations The Erdenheim Site Has Been Jim Cisco's Project For More Than 40 Years. - Philly.com
It WAS frustrating living in Wyndmoor and having my zip pull up as Glenside. A utility/telecom company or two tried correcting me on my town of residence.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
There sure are some incredibly awesome tri-level houses and 1950s ranches in the area! I'm pea green with envy!

Well, since Erdenheim isn't a real place - meaning it's not incorporated as a separate town - it doesn't really have cut-and-dried boundaries anyway, right?

I bet I would have loved your aunt's house!
It's on the corner of Country Club Dr, expanded several times, new colonial windows, new siding, new roof etc. IMO it looks better then ever before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or