U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2013, 09:52 AM
LHM LHM started this thread
 
204 posts, read 356,483 times
Reputation: 131

Advertisements

Anyone from that area or know anything about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2013, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
5,673 posts, read 10,245,988 times
Reputation: 9515
It's a suburban area just outside of Chestnut Hill, basically bisected by Bethlehem Pike. What do you want to know in particular?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 AM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,737,032 times
Reputation: 1586
Very small suburban pocket, Springfield Township schools are very good but the taxes are high, like most of the rest of eastern Montgomery County. It is sort of wedged in between Glenside and Oreland, Abington and Cheltenham. Huge variety of housing for such a small area. from a million(near Wyndmere) to a dump (near Glenside) Very nondescript and not much character. A good place to get lost.(which Springfield? LOL) Closest shopping in downtown Glenside or Cheltenham Ave.

Last edited by bryson662001; 09-24-2013 at 12:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Montco PA
2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Very small suburban pocket, Springfield Township schools are very good but the taxes are high, like most of the rest of eastern Montgomery County. It is sort of wedged in between Glenside and Oreland, Abington and Cheltenham. Huge variety of housing for such a small area. from a million(near Wyndmere) to a dump (near Glenside) Very nondescript and not much character. A good place to get lost.(which Springfield? LOL) Closest shopping in downtown Glenside or Cheltenham Ave.
Generally speaking, I wouldn't classify Glenside as being full of "dumps."

Also, I wouldn't classify Glenside as nondescript and not full of character. Same with Erdenheim. Those stone homes on oak-tree lined streets are full of character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2013, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
33,068 posts, read 61,890,891 times
Reputation: 55485
I lived in Erdenheim for about a year; it's a good location and we would have stayed if we'd been able to afford to buy there (Springfield Township taxes are relatively high). The residential streets are attractive and quiet, there are a few businesses along Bethlehem Pike and a nice park with an interesting history. More businesses etc. are nearby north on Bethlehem Pike in Flourtown, and it's close to Chestnut Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2013, 08:12 AM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,737,032 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Generally speaking, I wouldn't classify Glenside as being full of "dumps."
Nor did I. The least expensive properties (because they are dumps) that may or may not be in Erdenheim tend to be on the edge of Glenside and use a Glenside address.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Also, I wouldn't classify Glenside as nondescript and not full of character.
Nor did I. I never offered a description of Glenside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Same with Erdenheim. Those stone homes on oak-tree lined streets are full of character.
Again I didn't say that none of the houses (that may or may not be in Erdenheim) didn't have character. I was describing the community in general because there isn't enough of it to have a character. It's a little bit of everything.

READ BEFORE YOU POST!

Last edited by bryson662001; 09-24-2013 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2013, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Montco PA
2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Nor did I. The least expensive properties (because they are dumps) that may or may not be in Erdenheim tend to be on the edge of Glenside and use a Glenside address.

Nor did I. I never offered a description of Glenside.

Again I didn't say that none of the houses (that may or may not be in Erdenheim) didn't have character. I was describing the community in general because there isn't enough of it to have a character. It's a little bit of everything.

READ BEFORE YOU POST!
I did read your post. I found it a little more negative than it should have been. Oreland has very little character, and I agree with you that Erdenheim is too small to have much character, but overall the area is nice, if quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2013, 11:57 AM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,737,032 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I did read your post. I found it a little more negative than it should have been. Oreland has very little character, and I agree with you that Erdenheim is too small to have much character, but overall the area is nice, if quiet.
I said you could find a million dollar property in Erdenheim. That's negative? That isn't nice? Actually that may have been not accurate because it's very hard to pin down exactly what the borders of Erdenheim are. It kind of bleeds into Wyndmere the same way it bleeds into Glenside.

Last edited by bryson662001; 09-24-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2013, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,743 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Reputation: 4700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I said you could find a million dollar property in Erdenheim. That's negative? That isn't nice? Actually that may have been not accurate because it's very hard to pin down exactly what the borders of Erdenheim are. It kind of bleeds into Wyndmere the same way it bleeds into Glenside.
Eh, I think we're splitting hairs, here. I honestly don't always see the need to parse the differences between the all of little the municipal boundaries in the Philly area. The differences are often very miniscule, and it tends to mean nothing to people from outside of the area.

Erdenheim would be considered to be part of inner-ring suburbs of Philadelphia. To this end, it's a very mature, historic, and established area. I also would definitely would describe this as an area with character compared to more modern, endless tract-housing suburbia.

It's solidly middle-class and I think underrated, due to its proximity to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2013, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
33,068 posts, read 61,890,891 times
Reputation: 55485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Eh, I think we're splitting hairs, here.
I'll split some more by saying that Erdenheim is nowhere near Glenside, but has a Glenside ZIP Code.

The boundaries of Erdenheim -- loosely -- are Stenton Avenue, Wissahickon Avenue / Haws Lane, and Paper Mill Road. It's surrounded by Chestnut Hill, Flourtown, and Wyndmoor (not Wyndmere).

Hope that helps.

Read about Erdenheim:

The Hill Was Not Amused Irked By A Nearby Amusement Park, Chestnut Hill Residents Had It Shut Down In 1912. - Philly.com

GC40J6K End of the Line (Traditional Cache) in Pennsylvania, United States created by rreynold

A Pond Passes Magic Through Generations The Erdenheim Site Has Been Jim Cisco's Project For More Than 40 Years. - Philly.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top