Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:26 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjav1234 View Post
I think what annoys me the most is that I have to explain why the city and zip don't match - like when someone puts my address in GPS or the dr's office computer defaults the address to the wrong city. It is just bothersome to keep explaining...
The city and the zip not matching is impossible.

Each zip code has a "preferred" city name, which is what the GPS and the doctor's office computer match with the zip code. Any mail that uses this preferred city name and the correct zip code will get to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjav1234 View Post
I think what annoys me the most is that I have to explain why the city and zip don't match - like when someone puts my address in GPS or the dr's office computer defaults the address to the wrong city. It is just bothersome to keep explaining...
Next time someone brings it up, just say "I don't know why, ask the post office".

Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 AM

154 posts, read 322,548 times
just go with what you know the computers will show. I'm in churchville, but almost every computer system has me in Southampton, even though we are closer to the Richboro post office. The Southampton one is the one that delivers our mail.

It's not just confusing to tell people. while your mail will show up as long as the zip is right, I've been in situations where credit card info was rejected because the addresses didn't match. which sucks, because then they look at you like you're trying to pull a scam.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padugan View Post
just go with what you know the computers will show. I'm in churchville, but almost every computer system has me in Southampton, even though we are closer to the Richboro post office. The Southampton one is the one that delivers our mail.

It's not just confusing to tell people. while your mail will show up as long as the zip is right, I've been in situations where credit card info was rejected because the addresses didn't match. which sucks, because then they look at you like you're trying to pull a scam.
Correct. Churchville is an "acceptable" city in 18966 (i.e. the mail will get to you with "Churchville" written as the city). The preferred city in 18966 is Southampton so this is what all of the computers will show.

I think this is similar to OP's issue. If you always use the "preferred" city, you will have no problems at all.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:32 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,017 times
Can I change my state?

Old 09-25-2013, 10:34 AM

154 posts, read 322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post

I think this is similar to OP's issue. If you always use the "preferred" city, you will have no problems at all.
The problem up here is that the "preferred city" is anything But Southampton. Only been here a year, but I assume this is the Buck's-county-suburban-snobbery I've heard about. Apparently, Southampton is the other side of the tracks as far as the locals are concerned and they don't want to be associated with it. Which is funny when we tell them we came from South Philly, they just get real quite......

Old 09-25-2013, 10:45 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,873,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
Can I change my state?

This thread is changing to the 'state' of confusion. lol

Old 09-25-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padugan View Post
The problem up here is that the "preferred city" is anything But Southampton. Only been here a year, but I assume this is the Buck's-county-suburban-snobbery I've heard about. Apparently, Southampton is the other side of the tracks as far as the locals are concerned and they don't want to be associated with it. Which is funny when we tell them we came from South Philly, they just get real quite......
Yeah, there is a lot of that in the Philly suburbs. If you really want to see sparks fly, tell someone who lives in Audubon that they actually live in Norristown (which is the USPS preferred city for that zip code).

Old 09-25-2013, 11:26 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Yeah, there is a lot of that in the Philly suburbs. If you really want to see sparks fly, tell someone who lives in Audubon that they actually live in Norristown (which is the USPS preferred city for that zip code).
Yardley is Morrisville, Penn Valley is Narberth, Rydal is Jenkintown, and the list goes on and on. The thing I find funniest is that an official "acceptable alternative" to 19083/Havertown is "Lower Merion." A full 0.20% of the zip code crosses into Montgomery County.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 09-25-2013 at 11:35 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
Can I change my state?
Why, do you live in NJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia