Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 PM

14 posts, read 46,243 times

Advertisements

We just moved from CA and had originally planned to live in South Jersey (near my husbands work). After learning about that area, we decided he would commute over the bridge, and we would live in Delaware. We spent a couple weeks in Delaware, and I've felt uneasy and unhappy there. The landscape is not pretty (my opinion) and I feel it is lacking a culture I crave. I thought the houses in Middletown were nice, but if I left my house....then what? We started migrating our search north and started loving the green landscape in PA. I know we are pushing the limit on his commute, but we both think it is worth it. We are currently looking in the Chadds Ford/Garnet Valley/Glen Mills area. I am drawn to the school districts and the shopping is up my alley. Finding a home is going to take patience as our budget is lower than many of the homes here. Right now I can find about 4 homes on the market within our range. Wondering if more options will become available to us when the winter season comes around. So my question is.... does anyone have opinions/insights about this area? Is it worth it? Are there other comparable areas (safe/pretty/great public schools)?

We also looked in Avondale at new construction, but the second we got out of the car, the smell almost knocked us over. Bummed because it would have been a beautiful home!

Is Landenberg another good area? Does that area get the mushroom farm smell too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 01:55 PM

434 posts, read 1,312,599 times
Could you share where you're commuting to in New Jersey (over the Commodore Barry?), and what your home requirements (including price range) are in Pennsylvania? That would help with recommendations.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:47 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
To piggyback on the previous request, if you would copy and paste the questions on the following link along with your answers, it will help us focus on the most appropriate suggestions.

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...some-maps.html

Notwithstanding the mushroom aroma you encountered, all the areas that you are considering are very good-to-great in typical suburban living. West Chester will be the closest "downtown" while King of Prussia offers the second largest mall complex in the country.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:41 PM

When are you moving?
Already moved! Temporary living in West Chester....close to Glen Mills area.
Where are you coming from?
San Diego CA
Why are you moving?
Job Relocation
Where will you be working?
Nuclear Power in Salem, NJ..... The commute is over the Del Mem Bridge
Have you been here yet?
A few weeks

Will you buy or rent?
Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
Single Family House.... $400,000-$575,000

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
PA Sub

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Married w/ kids
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Public that scores high on greatschools.org
Do you have pets?
Small pets, no cats or dogs
Do you want or need a yard?
Yes, isn't that a perk of moving away from CA?!
Are you keeping a car?
Would like a 2 or 3 car garage
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
Nothing too urban or too rural. Family community is preferred.

What do you want to be closest to?
Safe areas. I want to take my kids to the park without feeling afraid.
No more than one hour commute to Salem, NJ
Healthy food grocery, organic, etc
Shopping

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
I'm in my 30's with kids..... but most importantly I just want my kids to be in a safe area. People who are different from me do not offend me.

Coke or Pepsi?
Coke..... but usually just go with sparkling water

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/phila...#ixzz2frnXyfCf

Old 09-24-2013, 08:48 PM

Can someone specifically explain to me how Garnet Valley and Chadds Ford are different? Both are coming up with great school districts elementary through high. Thanks.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:35 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmovingfromca View Post
Can someone specifically explain to me how Garnet Valley and Chadds Ford are different? Both are coming up with great school districts elementary through high. Thanks.
Well...Garnett Valley is much more of a "new rich" area while Chadds Ford has a good bit of old money. I believe the taxes are lower in Chadds Ford, but you'd have to check to be certain.It's fun to watch the two cultures class in the shopping areas off Rte 1: older Volvos vs. new Beamer SUVs. You'd find many newer McMansions in Garnet Valley and older home stock in CF, I believe. Personally, I think the CF area is ten times nicer and more natural with more farmland, horses, etc.,

Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Salem NJ huh? The land that time forgot.

Unlike parts of California there is so much livable land here that Salem NJ and that little corner of NJ got completely forgotten about. Mainly an industrial/ post industrial neglected area in the Philadelphia region..

I will say there are some very nice towns in South Jersey but they would be 1/2 hr - 45 minute commute to Salem. The towns closer to Philly up 295. Haddonfield,Cherry Hill,Moorestown,Woodbury Heights,Voorhees etc etc..

Closer to Salem- Beckett,Mulica Hill and Swedesboro probably offer tremendous housing value compared to PA.. Much more modern area(compared to Salem) but still a bit too isolated for my tastes. Not sure about the schools. But this area is growing fast and might be worth a look.

As far as Chadds Ford or Garnet Valley? Imo there is not much difference at all. Separate local govt. that is pretty much it.I believe Unionville-Chadds Ford schools are more highly regarded. Top 5 in the Pa suburbs compared to Garnet Valley which might be top 12. Cant go wrong with either but if all things being equal I might lean towards Unionville-Chadds Ford.

Shopping in Del is tax free on everything so this is a nice bonus as these 2 towns border Del..

If you can stretch the commute a bit and really want a nice scenic area up on the northside of West Chester check out places like Pickering Valley,Charletown Township,Great Valley,Lionville,Chester Springs,Kimberton,East Vincent, Coventry Township.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia