U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2013, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA.
4,530 posts, read 2,253,164 times
Reputation: 2172

Advertisements

so a church that is not Roman Catholic.
Roman Catholics don't have woman priests. and personally glad they do not since I have experienced them on the other side and not impressed. They are too divisive and it is politics that drives them to try to be priests, not a real calling.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Committed to social justice not dogma, diverse parishioners, very LGBT friendly, they've had services led by female priests, music and choir more lively, etc.

It's pretty well known and draws from a large area. I've personally left the Catholic Church but would not have a problem going to St. Vincent's once and a while. Also OP, check out Crest Park Rd. in East Mount Airy-all ranches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 PM
 
3 posts, read 1,623 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginbee View Post
I am a 74 year old white female living in a rural/small town community west of Philly, but I grew up in Philly & want to go back! My husband has Alzheimer's & after 10 years caring for him I had to place him in a nursing home. As long as he is alive I will probably stay in our home because I am close to him but when he passes, I would like to move back to the city. I very much want to live in an integrated neighborhood, preferably with liberal & active community groups & (miracle of miracles!) a progressive Catholic church. I grew up in West Philly (what I guess would be considered university city now) but I don't want to move back there. I was thinking West Mt Airy, but I need a small house & after months of looking online, I never see anything small or without lots of steps...like a 2 BR cape cod & I can't afford apartment living (I'm planning on sticking around awhile. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated...Thanks! Ginbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
whats a progressive Catholic Church?
mancat100 nailed it. By progressive I meant more like what Catholics are beginning to see in Francis. At age 74, I am what is often referred to as a "Vatican II Catholic", before the following two popes slammed the door on the changes that Vatican II began & many Catholics like me became so disillusioned. Another responder (2e1m5a) said it very well, too, with "committed to social justice not dogma." Thanks for the reminder about St. Vincent's; I was in there years ago for a couple of functions...it's nice to know they are still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2013, 05:12 AM
 
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA.
4,530 posts, read 2,253,164 times
Reputation: 2172
oh so you are a "spirit of vatican II" Catholic. What changes did the prior to popes slam the door on?
Are you pissed off because pope benedict did not eradicate the old form of the mass in latin?

You can't have social justice without dogma in the church. I think you liberals are terribly misguided if you really think this current Pope is not taking any of the church teachings seriously. In other words, pope francis did not "re-open the caferteria". I know there are liberals out there, especially liberal nuns who are frothing at the mouth waiting for gay marriage and women priests. Wont happen. Pope Francis already spoke about those topics and is against them.

I think too many people who grew up in the wake of VII are confused because many of the what we have today WAS NEVER mandated by VII. I know because I have a copy of the documents and read them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginbee View Post
mancat100 nailed it. By progressive I meant more like what Catholics are beginning to see in Francis. At age 74, I am what is often referred to as a "Vatican II Catholic", before the following two popes slammed the door on the changes that Vatican II began & many Catholics like me became so disillusioned. Another responder (2e1m5a) said it very well, too, with "committed to social justice not dogma." Thanks for the reminder about St. Vincent's; I was in there years ago for a couple of functions...it's nice to know they are still there.

Last edited by FKD19124; 09-27-2013 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,567 posts, read 2,664,586 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
oh so you are a "spirit of vatican II" Catholic. What changes did the prior to popes slam the door on?
Are you pissed off because pope benedict did not eradicate the old form of the mass in latin?

You can't have social justice without dogma in the church. I think you liberals are terribly misguided if you really think this current Pope is not taking any of the church teachings seriously. In other words, pope francis did not "re-open the caferteria". I know there are liberals out there, especially liberal nuns who are frothing at the mouth waiting for gay marriage and women priests. Wont happen. Pope Francis already spoke about those topics and is against them.

I think too many people who grew up in the wake of VII are confused because many of the what we have today WAS NEVER mandated by VII. I know because I have a copy of the documents and read them.
"I have never been a right winger" - Pope Francis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2013, 10:14 AM
 
3 posts, read 1,623 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
First, I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Caring for him for 10 years must have been an ordeal, "The Long Goodbye," indeed.
You're right about Mt Airy (both East and West). It would be a good fit, but you're also right about housing stock. Most of what I've seen is two+ stories, only a sprinkling of Cape Cod/ranch/one-level. If you want a realtor recommendation, please contact me privately (just following the forum rules here).
This was my first message on this site & I don't use social media & I don't know how to contact you privately. If you tell me, I'd like to get back to you. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2013, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA.
4,530 posts, read 2,253,164 times
Reputation: 2172
cite please? Even so, he is not the left wing liberal the media is making him out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
"I have never been a right winger" - Pope Francis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2013, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,567 posts, read 2,664,586 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
cite please? Even so, he is not the left wing liberal the media is making him out to be.
It's a quote from a recent interview he did in "America" magazine, which is a Catholic publication. If you google it, you'll see lots of discussion on it.

It's true he's not repudiating church teachings on social issues, but it's also true that he cares a LOT more about issues like poverty, greed, compassion, etc. He's also not the biggest fan of capitalism. So in some very important ways, he is a liberal/progressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top