U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 AM
 
20 posts, read 34,898 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Well im moving to Philadelphia to be closer to some family, which all lives in North Philly. Im moving there because several of them own businesses and I going to be provided a better job. Most of them live around the intersection of 5th and indiana. I've been there for a very brief time and dont know what to expect. Im 22, of Puerto rican decent. I've lived in Brooklyn NYC my whole life, and for someone whose familiar with Brooklyn, I've lived Brownsville and Bushwick throughout my life and now Im in East New York. So What do I expect with this move? Is north philly better or worse than the parts of brooklyn I've mentioned? Also I've heard everything is cheaper in Philly than in NY, is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2013, 09:22 AM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times
Reputation: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboymoe View Post
Well im moving to Philadelphia to be closer to some family, which all lives in North Philly. Im moving there because several of them own businesses and I going to be provided a better job. Most of them live around the intersection of 5th and indiana. I've been there for a very brief time and dont know what to expect. Im 22, of Puerto rican decent. I've lived in Brooklyn NYC my whole life, and for someone whose familiar with Brooklyn, I've lived Brownsville and Bushwick throughout my life and now Im in East New York. So What do I expect with this move? Is north philly better or worse than the parts of brooklyn I've mentioned? Also I've heard everything is cheaper in Philly than in NY, is this true?
Maybe not everything, but real estate definitely is (Of course, compared to NY, real estate is cheaper practically anywhere, so that's sort of a given).

As far as North Philly being "better" or "worse", I think that's a subjective question. Certainly parts of North Philly are booming with gentrification right now. Same goes for Bushwick.
Parts of North Philly are in pretty bad shape, with high crime rates, drugs, and other problems. Similarly, parts of ENY and Brownsville are some of the most troubled neighborhoods in NYC in those regards.

IMO Brownsville isn't going to see gentrification any time soon. East NY probably has it coming a little sooner. But is 'gentrification' even something you see as a positive?

One thing is that you will see is a lot more vacant & abandoned properties in North Philly than you will see in even those areas of Brooklyn, which can be a little jarring to someone not used to it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 AM
 
20 posts, read 34,898 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Maybe not everything, but real estate definitely is (Of course, compared to NY, real estate is cheaper practically anywhere, so that's sort of a given).

As far as North Philly being "better" or "worse", I think that's a subjective question. Certainly parts of North Philly are booming with gentrification right now. Same goes for Bushwick.
Parts of North Philly are in pretty bad shape, with high crime rates, drugs, and other problems. Similarly, parts of ENY and Brownsville are some of the most troubled neighborhoods in NYC in those regards.

IMO Brownsville isn't going to see gentrification any time soon. East NY probably has it coming a little sooner. But is 'gentrification' even something you see as a positive?

One thing is that you will see is a lot more vacant & abandoned properties in North Philly than you will see in even those areas of Brooklyn, which can be a little jarring to someone not used to it..
Gentrification does make the neighborhood safer and more desirable, but it also makes the neighborhood more expensive and takes away its character. I aint no b*tch, I've lived in "bad" areas my whole life, but at the same time I feel worrying about your life all the time is unnecessary. To be honest tho, Im more worried about cost of living than safety. I dont know many people in Philadelphia besides family, and Im not too good at meeting new people and making friends. So, I would rather live near family, which mainly live around 5th and Indiana in NorthPhilly. I mean I grew up in some of the worst areas of NYC, so how much worst can Philly be. I just wana know what to expect? Does Philly have a different feel to NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 11:11 AM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times
Reputation: 2051
Yes, IMO overall is it does have a different feel from NY. But that's neither positive or negative.
And 5th & Indiana has/had been considered one of the worst areas of Philly in recent years, in the heart of an area popularly referred to as The Badlands (google Philadelphia Badlands).

What do your relatives think about living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 05:51 PM
 
20 posts, read 34,898 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Yes, IMO overall is it does have a different feel from NY. But that's neither positive or negative.
And 5th & Indiana has/had been considered one of the worst areas of Philly in recent years, in the heart of an area popularly referred to as The Badlands (google Philadelphia Badlands).

What do your relatives think about living there?
Well the few times i have been in the area it felt like Bushwick Brooklyn. Based on what they say, I would think they have a neutral view of the area. They always pride on it having the highest concentration of hispanics in the city, however not too fond of the high crime and poverty present. However, Im more focused on low cost of living, and being around other Puerto Ricans, especially relatives, rather than crime and safety. My uncle does own a store down on 5th street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top