U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 10:29 AM

6,224 posts, read 5,560,406 times

Advertisements

The run-down Granite Run Mall near Media was recently sold to an investment group owned by Toll Brothers.
Whether you like Toll or not, there will be some serious changes coming to the area. Hopefully this complex will again become a retail destination.

BET Investments buys Granite Run Mall for $24M - Philly.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 3,487 times
I spend a lot of time in the Media area but I don't give a damn what happens to the mall. While I admit the place is an eyesore, malls and shopping centers (and retail establishments themselves) will go downhill over the years, no matter where you live. As soon as one retail establishment or retail complex becomes "obsolete", it will become a dump if it stays open and is not redeveloped for a good purpose. The evolution of retail establishments is usually NOT a reflection of the health of the surrounding community.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:21 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,695,004 times
We went to that mall a few times. There was nothing wrong with it, it was just mostly empty.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:46 PM

4,743 posts, read 7,845,060 times
It will be interesting to see what BET does with this site. They have noted that their plans are for mixed-use, which is a good sign. It's in an area that has very little developable space, so it has a lot of potential for something transformative.

I think malls are increasingly become a vestige of the past (aside from "trophy malls," like King of Prussia, which have are a major, high-end draw). Many single-use retail structures are just not viable anymore. You will see much more development similar to Uptown Worthington in Malvern and Village at Valley Forge in King of Prussia that is designed with a "live, work, play" environment.

You actually find a lot of this type of development already in other areas of the country -- mostly in the Sun Belt -- but it will catch on in more mature/slow-growth markets like Philly as more re-development takes place.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:28 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,032 times
I was recently in the Oxford Valley Mall (Lower Bucks County)after an absence of a few years and while it is well maintained I was shocked at all the vacant stores including one of it's anchors. It was always one of the premier destination malls (unlike Granite Run)

Old 09-26-2013, 04:44 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Yes your average mall like Granite Run is a dying breed.

I don't necessarily believe Granite Run is rundown as much as it was outdated. Interestingly enough this mall is less than a mile from the Franklin Mint site that was to become a huge mixed use town center. That has turned into a debacle though between fueding development partners and nimbys.

Think Toll slips in here and hits a Home Run. Great location between Media/Concord/Chadds Ford. Ridley Creek State Park is only a mile away. Great opportunity for new residences and fresh retail. This area needs new apartments in the worst way possible. That general area is very nice but nearly all the apt communities are 30-40 + years old.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:49 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,752,720 times
I hope they'll do some serious traffic studies. As it is now, the area of Rte 1 is usually jammed between the Y and Riddle Hospital.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:23 AM

71 posts, read 71,745 times
About 5 years, while still living in Texas, I read about the dying big, indoor malls. The more popular way is the outdoor mall, where you can just drive up and park next to the store (if you can find a spot). There were many conversions from indoor to outdoor.

I don't know why it's better, given how HOT Texas weather can get.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:10 AM

4,525 posts, read 2,249,892 times
Even Trophy malls like KOP have many empty stores. I remember back in 1995 when the new portion of the mall opened that connected the high end court to the plaza with all its new stores. that new portion is almost all empty.
Shopping malls need to re-invent themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It will be interesting to see what BET does with this site. They have noted that their plans are for mixed-use, which is a good sign. It's in an area that has very little developable space, so it has a lot of potential for something transformative.

I think malls are increasingly become a vestige of the past (aside from "trophy malls," like King of Prussia, which have are a major, high-end draw). Many single-use retail structures are just not viable anymore. You will see much more development similar to Uptown Worthington in Malvern and Village at Valley Forge in King of Prussia that is designed with a "live, work, play" environment.

You actually find a lot of this type of development already in other areas of the country -- mostly in the Sun Belt -- but it will catch on in more mature/slow-growth markets like Philly as more re-development takes place.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:11 AM

4,525 posts, read 2,249,892 times
King of Prussia mall started as an outdoor one like Roosevelt mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITinCC View Post
About 5 years, while still living in Texas, I read about the dying big, indoor malls. The more popular way is the outdoor mall, where you can just drive up and park next to the store (if you can find a spot). There were many conversions from indoor to outdoor.

I don't know why it's better, given how HOT Texas weather can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia