U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 09-27-2013, 09:15 AM
1 posts, read 492 times
Reputation: 10


Hello all,

My brother was recently diagnosed with a mental illness (schizophrenia), after his last episode he realized he needed help and has asked us to take him to a mental health facility for medication, therapy and guidance. He is very motivated on getting better. He has been at the facility since Monday night. The average stay is 7-10 days, he probably will end up staying longer. But my family and I are looking into some sort of transitioning housing.

Once he gets discharged from this place, he won’t really have anywhere to go. He used to live with my Mother and my little brother and sister, but she doesn’t want him living with her anymore (because she doesn’t want the kids to be exposed to that), and my brother’s last episode involved her and my little siblings. And my brother told me he doesn’t want to go back there because my Mom and that house is a trigger to him and brings up bad memories.

Also, my wife and I are in the process of trying to have a baby. So we don’t want him living with us….I don’t want to risk him having any more episodes while my wife is pregnant and or when we have young children in the house. I know once he is on meds and in weekly therapy his episodes will be minimal or non-existent…but it’s still a risk. I also have a couple other siblings (I’m from a big family) that have families, and they have expressed not wanting to take him in. None of us want him to be homeless, and I won’t let that happen. But he does need some constant guidance for a while, while he gets on his feet. I also think it would be good for him to have some sort of independence. However, he currently isn’t a functioning person in society. He doesn’t have his driver’s license, a job, and has a hard time cooking, cleaning and remembering to do the necessities needed to live. He needs some guidance on how and when to do these things, and to remember to go to therapy and take his meds. I feel like once he is on his meds, some of these things will just come to him (when to eat and sleep,e tc). But are there nice halfway or transitioning houses where this type of guidance is possible? Once he gets these skills down, and in therapy and staying on proper meds, I feel like he could live alone in an apartment in the city.

We currently live in the Philadelphia area. It would be best if we could find him one of these transitioning housing options in the city. Me, my wife and my other brother work in center city, so we could check in on him and visit him often in this location. Does anyone know of or recommend a place that could work for him? We want somewhere safe. He isn't violent in any way.

Any guidance would be great, this is all new to me and I do just want what’s best for him. I don’t want him living on the streets, nor would I let that happen, so I’m trying to figure out his options.
I imagine he will be able to get social security checks once diagnosed, as well. And once he is on his feet and settled in his place, he mentions he really wants to get a job and have a purpose, so he won't be on soc. sec. for long. But until then, myself and my parents/siblings will help pay for his living expenses.

I saw online some Project HOME locations. One specifically that could be good for him is "Kate's Place" on 19th and Sansom. Not sure of the requirements needed to live here, but thought something like this could work. Does anyone have any info on this particular place?

Any help at all would be great, thanks.


Last edited by Roger22; 09-27-2013 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Location: Philaburbia
33,069 posts, read 61,890,891 times
Reputation: 55487
There should be social workers at his inpatient facility that will help him with discharge, continuing his treatment, and finding a place to live. They are an excellent resource.

Try this link:

Philadelphia Transitional Housing | Transitional Housing in Philadelphia PA

Another resource is the United Way's 211 service; just press 211 on your phone. Or go here:

211 SEPA - Online public information and referral portal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top