Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 02:48 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie Beanie View Post
If you're in NY, you're a quick train ride away. Come down for the weekend, come down for a couple of weekends. Scout around. Walk everywhere and see what place makes your heart sing.
Good idea.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 10-09-2013 at 02:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 07:31 AM

512 posts, read 1,017,989 times
Wash Sq west is great. I currently moving there.... Close to restaurants (both cheap and expensive), reasonable rent, lots of community, close to food shopping, jobs, low traffic, very walkable, busy streets plus quiet streets.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 AM

192 posts, read 160,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
But yeah, I think that when you get into 21st Century Center City neighborhoods (which are great), there's not a HUGE difference in living in one vs the other.
CC is a relatively small area, and all of those neighborhoods are in close walking proximity to one another. No bad choice.
This is partially true. I live in Grad Hospital and whilst on the map Old City looks to only be about 1.5 miles away, it's like another world that i venture to only rarely. In fact, crossing broad sometimes seems like a massive mental moat. Visiting Fairmount? Fuhgetaboutit.

To the OP, I would look for the neighborhood that you love, with the amenities that you love, and a vibe that you're comfortable with--b/c you'll find yourself spending the vast majority of your time in it. Due to the lack of connective subways and easy-to-use RT, Philly is VERY neighborhood oriented.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 AM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,229 times
If you choose a neighborhood that doesn't have subway access then you should know that the buses run very frequently during commute times. So you should have no problem making it to work in most places.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:19 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
This is partially true. I live in Grad Hospital and whilst on the map Old City looks to only be about 1.5 miles away, it's like another world that i venture to only rarely. In fact, crossing broad sometimes seems like a massive mental moat. Visiting Fairmount? Fuhgetaboutit.

To the OP, I would look for the neighborhood that you love, with the amenities that you love, and a vibe that you're comfortable with--b/c you'll find yourself spending the vast majority of your time in it. Due to the lack of connective subways and easy-to-use RT, Philly is VERY neighborhood oriented.
I lived & worked in various neighborhoods in Center City for 10+ years, always walked to work, and very rarely ever took SEPTA to get around (unless going somewhere outside CC, or out of town), because walking was usually more convenient and quicker. Walking from one extreme diagonal to the other (ie: old city to fitler square) is a little bit of a hike, but that wasn't something that happened very often.

One down side of CC living that I can relate to is how I would sometimes without noticing it go literally for months without leaving a 10 block radius, which gave me this false boxed-in feeling.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm not looking to recreate a NYC experience elsewhere, so any NYC neighborhood is at least somewhat irrelevant to me.
I am just trying to figure out what it is you are looking for. Example: If you said you really like the west village, then I could say you would probably like Old City north of Market. That is if you are serious.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:27 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
^ personally I would not draw that parallel.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I am just trying to figure out what it is you are looking for. Example: If you said you really like the west village, then I could say you would probably like Old City north of Market. That is if you are serious.
I said what I was looking for in the OP. And I am not looking to recreate a NYC experience elsewhere. Why is that so hard to understand?

But put it like this. There is NO NEIGHBORHOOD in NYC that I CURRENTLY LIKE. THAT IS WHY I AM LEAVING!

So you can scratch any and all parallels to NYC off the LIST.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Wash Sq west is great. I currently moving there.... Close to restaurants (both cheap and expensive), reasonable rent, lots of community, close to food shopping, jobs, low traffic, very walkable, busy streets plus quiet streets.
Thanks. What's the rent in this area and what jobs is it close to?

Old 10-09-2013, 10:15 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm a comparatively young male (under 40) who is thinking about moving to Philadelphia in the not too distant future. What are some nice neighborhoods in Philadelphia to live in?

I'm looking for places that are comparatively safe and reasonably well off.
I am not giving up yet. Probably 75% of the hundreds of neighborhoods in Philadelphia are"safe" and maybe 40% are "reasonably well off". "Nice" and "cool" are subjective terms that mean different things to different people. The Washington Square West neighborhood that someone recommended is 19107
Plug that zip into google and Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments for Rent, Local data using the rent option to get an idea of what's available.
Also look in www.4wallsinphilly.com Washington square west is listed as an area in Center City (Philly's downtown core)

Last edited by bryson662001; 10-09-2013 at 10:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia