Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 01:20 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I would say that Main Liners prone to having airs, whether of old or new money origin, tend to act like bluebloods.
How does one act like a blueblood? Do you have your chauffeur pull up to another car, roll down your window, and ask for a bottle of Grey Poupon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 01:21 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
"Would ya pleeeze paass da jellliee?"

Polaner All Fruit Commercial 1989) - YouTube

Old 10-16-2013, 01:38 PM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How does one act like a blueblood? Do you have your chauffeur pull up to another car, roll down your window, and ask for a bottle of Grey Poupon?
Pretty much.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:49 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Then you should spend more time in Garnet Valley, particularly around the parents of school children. It is a hotbed of over-the-top keeping up with the Joneses. It's a shame there are no stats on how many parents, say, take their 8-yr-old for weekly manicures, take their hs kids to NYC for prom dresses, spend thousands on catering garish birthday parties, etc.,

By the same token, the old money vibe which I have found to be very solid, was never a bad thing in my mind. I have respect for people with restraint (stiff and crusty?). While I understand your aversion to "labels," that doesn't mean the behaviors don't exist in a notable quantity.

I have many friends from garnet valley. Yes that is a common occurrence, I know kids in high school who received a new Lexus or Mercedes, but I would not categorize it as sickening. People there even though flashy are still very kind and considerate, and I have never felt any negativity the many times I have been there.

Whereas in parts of lower merion if you drive down certain streets in an 89 camry, people will be wondering what the hell are you doing in their neighborhood. Attitudes vary from town to town. Much of lower merion I feel is more judgmental about ones status than in garnet valley, people just like to show off more in the newer suburbs.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:56 PM

76 posts, read 203,467 times
Garnet Valley is a solidly middle class area with some upper middle class families that boost the median income. You don't have to be upper middle class to afford a Mercedes or a Lexus. You need to remember that, until 2006, Garnet Valley was a part of Chichester Township. Since when has any part of Chichester Township ever been wealthy? Face the facts, if these people really had money, they'd be moving the hell out of that area.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 PM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCdelco View Post
Garnet Valley is a solidly middle class area with some upper middle class families that boost the median income. You don't have to be upper middle class to afford a Mercedes or a Lexus. You need to remember that, until 2006, Garnet Valley was a part of Chichester Township. Since when has any part of Chichester Township ever been wealthy? Face the facts, if these people really had money, they'd be moving the hell out of that area.
Municipal boundaries didn't change; the Garnet Valley portion of the zip code simply split off from Marcus Hook and was granted its own post office, probably because its residents had no interest in being associated with Upper Chichester.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:07 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times
I'm talking about the newer developments...the folks who are always shopping - and yeah, I think it's RIDICULOUS to purchase a Lexus for a teenager. Just as ridiculous as another person I know who had his 3-car garage converted to EXTRA CLOSET SPACE for his two young girls in their 6 bedroom/7 bath home. He got this brilliant idea from a neighbor. I have no idea what Lower Merion is like. Never spent any time there.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
Soulsurv, you are right. I come from old money ( though i dont have much anymore) and was always taught to never flaunt anything growing up, it wasnt necessary. I moved to Los Angeles and am continually horrified at the "bling" etc and shameless self promotion ( ie the kardashians ) that people engage in here. Sounds about what you've observed. When I visited last year I immediatley loved Chestnut Hill, my boyfriend said, " of course you do, these are your people". I laughed, he was right. Plenty of money, but in a 3 year old subaru and a comfy sweater ( though probably Loro Piana cashmere) and scruffy jeans. New money does tend to be flashier, some people like that sort of thing, old money people do not.
Some old money families are very flashy. The Hilton's come to mind.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:12 PM

76 posts, read 203,467 times
Soulsurv, those are ridiculous things to do. However, you don't necessarily have to be upper middle class/wealthy to do them. People in all different income brackets choose to spend money they don't have or make frivolous purchases such as luxury cars for their teenagers. Think of it this way - those who partake in ostentatious displays of wealth feel that they have something to prove. That is why Garnet Valley and even places in the surrounding areas (Ridley, Glenolden, Prospect park) have people driving Lexus' and BMWs they can't afford. Drive through a truly wealthy neighborhood and you'll see tons of Toyotas, old volvos and Hondas.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCdelco View Post
Drive through a truly wealthy neighborhood and you'll see tons of Toyotas, old volvos and Hondas.
That's true because they don't retain wealth by being frivolous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia