Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 02:15 PM

5 posts, read 7,303 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I are considering a move to an apartment on 46th and Larchwood, we are both working full time, I commuting to NJ, my wife working the city and will probably coming back some in the evenings by trolley. What do you guys think of the neighborhood there, crime, groceries, convenience, noise, and parking? seems nice but you never know. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 02:26 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
The neighborhood is fine for crime. Of course it is a major city so keep your wits about you late at night when things get quiet and make sure to lock your doors, but it is a safe neighborhood. As for groceries, I would go to the Fresh Grocer at 40th and Walnut. There is a parking garage ontop of the store. That will have the best selection. There will also be a bunch of smaller grocery stores/markets along Baltimore Ave. It will be a quiet area. You won't have to worry much about noise unless there are students near by that party often. Parking will be fine.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:47 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,746 times
I live at 45th and Larchwood. It's a great area. Do it.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:54 PM

thanks for the response mancat100! any details or particularly good things about this area we will need to go to/try? we are not new to philly but new to this area

Old 10-17-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbear1 View Post
thanks for the response mancat100! any details or particularly good things about this area we will need to go to/try? we are not new to philly but new to this area
Here are some reasons I like the area:
It's safe
Roving Bike Security Patrols
Parking is easy
Lots of trees
Beautiful houses
My neighbors are friendly
My neighbors mostly own so are committed to the area
The trolley is convenient
Milk & Honey Coffee Shop
Dock Street Brewery
Good ethnic food within walking distance
Usually very quiet at night
Close to Center City

Here's what I hate about the area:
Hard to get taxis on a whim
Cost of taxi fare makes a night out in CC pricey
Needs more beer snob options
The gigantic dead London Plane trees at 45th & Baltimore

Old 10-17-2013, 04:32 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbear1 View Post
What am I? Chop liver?

Old 10-17-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
What am I? Chop liver?
Yes.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the responses, however seeing things like this make me question this move,

Crime Watch | West Philly Local

random sexual assaults at noon and home invasions?, and this is just from this month...I want to believe the hipster/educated veneer of coffee shops and ethnic restaurants but what does any of that attempted "gentrification" matter if you are afraid to leave your apartment? Are these isolated events? Is west philly (46th and Baltimore) actually safe? (the answer seems to be most likely no but I want to be convinced otherwise). Does anybody have a positive west philly experience?

Old 10-22-2013, 01:40 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,975 times
The area is fine... I don't think anyone is afraid to leave their apartment there lol. What is your budget? I'd suggest society hill, logan square, or fitler square if you want an extra level of safety.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
The area is fine... I don't think anyone is afraid to leave their apartment there lol. What is your budget? I'd suggest society hill, logan square, or fitler square if you want an extra level of safety.
Wasn't there a shooting in Society Hill last week? No place is completely safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia