Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 3,714 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys!

Ive been searching around the internet and this site for a while but I figured I would just ask just in case I missed something. My husband and I live in center city, Philadelphia. He works in NYC. As we are recently married, He has just moved to Philly and would like to keep his job and commute to nyc everyday. I know a lot of people do it but here is our problems. His job just got switched to a different location in nyc that will not permit him to take AMtrak as he had planned because the earliest train he could take would have him arriving at Penn Station at 6:45 which does not allow enough time for him to get to his job by 7. Unfortunately he must be at work at 7 ! He Gets done at 3:30 so he may still take amtrak home however the amtrak pricing was okay when he thought he was going to get the unlimited monthly but to only be taking it one way home probably won't be worth it obviously. So anyhow, my question for you guys is. Do any of you guys know which would be his best option so that he would arrive in NYC at 6:30 am. Any private bus companies or any train schedules I am missing ( I doubt the train thing).

SInce his job location got switched a little big we both know that this will unfortunately be a nightmare but he insists on trying it out at least for a couple months.

Can you guys offer any suggestions. He had told me there were some private bus companies that he knows other people take from the Poconos really early but I didnt see many early options for Philly.

Can anyone help! THank you!!

Ashley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 08:24 AM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,229 times
A bus is a long ride for a daily commute. He would quite literally be pushing to the point where he might as well just live in NYC during the week.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:45 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Daily commute to NYC for a 7am job sounds very challenging. He might realistically have to drive. On the bright side, at that hour he would miss most of AM rush hour traffic in both cities.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:45 AM

I know. Its really bad and I am sure that it will not work out but until our lease is up, unfortunately we cant figure anything else out. The amtrack would have been perfect if it was even ten minutes earlier and the first greyhound is at 4:05 arriving at 6:05 which is just a little too early but I am sure that will be the only thing that may work unfortunately ;(

Old 11-27-2013, 10:38 AM

76 posts, read 203,350 times
I would check out megabus ... Not entirely reliable, but a lot of kids from my university took it to NYC when they had interviews and such, so not entirely unreliable either. The prices vary based on the times but it's definitely your cheapest option.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:55 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,674 times
Did you buy a house in Center City? If not, consider moving somewhere like Yardley. It would be an easier commute to NYC and I believe there is a septa train that could take you to your job (assuming it is in Center City). If you purchased a home...sorry, doesn't sound like a fun commute at all.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:25 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,809 times
What about subletting a furnished studio in NYC and coming back on weekends? I've done that before.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:24 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
If it's possible to drive to Trenton, there are earlier NJ Transit trains he could get.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:36 PM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and ideas! We were doing the whole weekends in Philly/living in NYc during the week thing for the last two years and was trying to move away from that hopefully! We didnt buy a house in center city and we were actually thinking of the yardley ideas as well! I will have to look into that down the line a bit. The idea of driving to Trenton may work too. I will look into that more. Thank you!!!

Old 11-27-2013, 12:41 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Go to Megabus and BoltBus and check out their schedules. Chances are good that he will find a bus leaving at a time convenient for his job. I have found Megabus to be very reliable, except when there are factors beyond their control, such as bumper to bumper traffic in the Lincoln Tunnel. If you want to remain in the Philly area, moving to the Trenton/Princeton area will open up more possibilities for him to commute to NYC by train, and you can still work in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia