Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 02:24 PM

19 posts, read 32,870 times

Advertisements

My husband has just got a job in Philadelphia, Market Street area, I need to move my family, our three kids to a community outside the city. We looked at Main line and now are exploring Newtown and Blue Bell. School systems are important, new construction is on our wish list, commute. Any advice would help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 03:13 PM

9,335 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkdproduciton View Post
My husband has just got a job in Philadelphia, Market Street area, I need to move my family, our three kids to a community outside the city. We looked at Main line and now are exploring Newtown and Blue Bell. School systems are important, new construction is on our wish list, commute. Any advice would help. Thanks.
Budget? Desired commute time? I recommend copying/pasting/filling out the Guide for Prospective Movers stickied at the top of the forum.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:19 PM

I couldn't fine the "guide for movers." I have upto a million as a budget. 30 mins by train would be ideal, but more importantly great schools and a walkable downtown area would be nice. If I could get newer construction or I guess its a reno job!. Looks like I'm not going to get it all...

Old 12-17-2013, 04:23 PM

9,335 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
I couldn't fine the "guide for movers." I have upto a million as a budget. 30 mins by train would be ideal, but more importantly great schools and a walkable downtown area would be nice. If I could get newer construction or I guess its a reno job!. Looks like I'm not going to get it all...
//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...some-maps.html

In general, if you want new construction, you'll have to be willing to drive to that walkable town center. Good schools plus 30 minutes to Center City, no problem, but you're not going to find the latter in Blue Bell or especially Newtown.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Quote:
It will be difficult to find new housing in an "older walkable downtown". You can however find newer housing near a walkable town.

You could look into the Media area. Upper Providence,Edgmont,Nether Providence, Middletown Township. That puts you 5 minutes to downtown Media(small) and 15 minutes to West Chester another nice walkable town (a bit bigger than Media). You would be close to the Media/Elwyn rail line that takes you right into Center City.

Media is home to Ridley Creek State Park . A 2,600 acre recreational area(jogging,biking,fishing,hiking ,cross country skiing etc etc)

Blue Bell is upscale suburbia- no downtown. Not the greatest commute to Center City.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:21 PM

Thanks. How are schools in Blue Bell?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:26 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Quote:
Thanks. How are schools in Blue Bell?
Very good; it's the Wissahickon School District. Blue Bell was actually #8 or so on the "Top Towns" list about 5-6 years ago.

The commute to CC is not horrible. You can drive to the train stations in Ambler, Pennlynn, or Gwynedd Valley, all along the Lansdale/Doylestown Line. Train ride lengthe about 35-45 minutes, depending on the station. Ambler, by the way, has a nice little downtown that has seen resurgence in the last 5-10 years. Plenty of shopping in nearby Plymouth Meeting.

Also, you may want to check out Lafayette Hill in the Colonial School District. Not a real downtown but very close to Chestnut Hill.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:51 AM

147 posts, read 283,972 times
I would focus around Ambler and search in a 5 miles radius. That gives you Blue Bell, Lower Gwynedd, Spring House on up to Horsham which maintains an Ambler address.

Schools in Wissahickon and Horsham/Hatboro school disctrict are all excellent and if you want to put the kids into private school you have Germantown Academy which is top notch.

This puts you in driving distance to the train line, Whole Foods, Trader Joes in North Wales and Wegmans in Montgomeryville. You are also able to take advantage of KOP shopping or for the quicker trip to Willow Grove. Plenty of country clubs in the area as well.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:54 AM

147 posts, read 283,972 times
if you care about such things Bradley Cooper attended Germantown as did the creator of the Goldberg's.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,109 times
Quote:
I have upto a million as a budget.
This is easy then... West Mt. Airy or Chestnut Hill. Both are neighborhoods in the Northwestern section of the city. This is, to me, by far the nicest area in the region... not just in the city but in the entire Philadelphia area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia