Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,988 times

Advertisements

Where will you be working? Doylestown
Have you been here yet? To visit

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Apartment - $1400 max

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA suburb ... since that's where I'll be working

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single with no children
Do you have pets? 2 cats
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? I'd like to be able to walk or have a very short drive to local coffee shops and restaurants/bars ... I don't need a major downtown, but at least active .....and I'd like to be within 10 minute drive of shopping (target, wegmans, trader joe's)

What do you want to be closest to? Would prefer not to have longer than a 20 minute commute from work in Doylestown .... want to have a short drive or walk to nearby restaurants and be within 10/15 minutes from shopping.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I'd like to live near other single professionals, or young professionals. Ideally aged 30-40.

I'll be working in Doylestown and am trying to figure out where to live. My biggest priority is being near basic shopping (Wegmans, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Target)... next would be a nice, active downtown (doesn't have to be big... just enough to have a few local restaurants, coffee shops and a bar or two).... I'd like to be among other professionals between 30 and 40 but not have more than 20 minutes commute. All of the research I've done shows a lot of backroad traveling. I don't mind a longer commute on interstates, but I really dislike them on backroads. I've looked in Lansdale, New Hope, Warrington, Chalfont and Doylestown but can't tell if any have the small downtown along with the larger chain stores... Also, am unsure about how backed up traffic will get going to any of those places. Not a lot of apartment complexes that I can find either. Thanks for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 09:25 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
Doylestown has a charming downtown but I don't think that it or anyplace particularly nearby is known as a haven for younger/single professionals. That's not to say that you won't meet any along your travels. Being the county seat of Bucks County, lots of typical midscale retail and restaurant chains should be available although others more knowledgeable than me may have more specifics. You're looking in deep suburbia/exurbia so it may be harder albeit not impossible to find apartments than single family homes.

New Hope may have the next most interesting downtown on your list although, anecdotally speaking, it can be beneficial to be comfortable around a crowd of mixed affectionate orientation.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:29 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,940,752 times
I would search around Newtown...lots of community activities and many apartment/townhouse developments that rent to smaller families and singles. Great little downtown area, and easy commute to the "big box" stores.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:40 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
I would just start in Doylestown. It's a really nice town and one that is usually recommended for someone that wants to live in Bucks county. There's a rail station in town that can get you to Philly pretty quickly too.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:52 AM

74 posts, read 128,225 times
Hi and welcome,

Many of the suburbs are "family friendly" vs "single young professionals/career oriented". Trust me, I am young, no kids and career oriented. This being said I recommend Ambler b/c it fits the rest of your wishlist. Ambler is closer to the city, has a great little downtown with coffee shops, bars etc. I believe there are apartments for rent in and around Ambler.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofpearls View Post
Hi and welcome,

Many of the suburbs are "family friendly" vs "single young professionals/career oriented". Trust me, I am young, no kids and career oriented. This being said I recommend Ambler b/c it fits the rest of your wishlist. Ambler is closer to the city, has a great little downtown with coffee shops, bars etc. I believe there are apartments for rent in and around Ambler.
Thanks! What do you think the commute would be like from Doylestown to Ambler?

Old 12-17-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion7 View Post
Thanks! What do you think the commute would be like from Doylestown to Ambler?
I would guesstimate it to be 25-30 minutes.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:09 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
motherofpearls, have you been to Doylestown? I may be wrong, but I think it's pretty much just like Ambler and no driving involved.

Ambler: http://www.amblermainstreet.org/

Doylestown: http://doylestownalive.com/index.htm

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:03 PM

toobusytoday, I have been there twice. I felt that its a little "out there" and too far from "stuff". Ambler and Doylestown both offer downtowns, but Ambler is cheaper, closer to the city, and as a young professional I would opt for that proximity. Additionally I got the vibe that Doylestown caters more to families with kids, while Ambler is a lil more diverse, including its population. I may be wrong, but that's my opinion.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 AM

7 posts, read 10,608 times
I would look somewhere between Montgomeryville and Doylestown itself. Montgomeryville/North Wales house the mall, Trader Joes, Wegmans, and plenty of other shopping. Lots of great bars and restaurants in the area, though not much of a walking "downtown" unless you live in Lansdale or North Wales. You may not find an apartment per se, but for $1400 a month there are loads of nice townhouse and condo rentals you can find through a realtor. I think your desire to live near 30-40 year old single professionals is a bit too specific. This is the suburbs, and all the towns around here are pretty much the same. Unless you want to live in Conshohocken there aren't that many single youngsters around. It's just the nature of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia