Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 08:32 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times

Advertisements

Check out Solidsignal.com Great selection of attennas and they are very helpful with questions about which equipment to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:28 PM

182 posts, read 377,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
You should understand the fine print ahead of time. I'm locked into $29 for a year and then it'll go up to $50-$60-ish. I could've done the lock-in rate for 2 years, but I don't want to commit to that amount of time right off the bat especially because I have no experience with Comcast.

I was shocked when my friend told me he was using an antenna - the picture quality was amazing! This is what I'm thinking of getting - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/indoor-hdtv-antenna/8939839.p?id=1215217075905&skuId=8939839&st=catego ryid$abcat0107004&cp=1&lp=1
No bruh, they advertised that it would stay at $100 per month, and go up to 150 afterward. Instead it went to $190 and when we called they "put us on another plan" and we had to downgrade back to the $150 one we had. So happy we have Verizon.

And I HATE their throttling. Very rude and annoying.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:34 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,294 times
I was looking at changing my ISP a while ago, since Comcast kept increasing the price of just Performance internet service forwhat seemed like every 3-4 months or so. I went from paying $30/40 -something bucks a month (based off a new customer promotion) to $73/mo ($7/modem cost included).

I looked into Clear but found that they only offer the wireless internet services w/ Sprint and read the reviews of their customer service not being too great; I can't have the costly FIOS lines installed in my apartment (despite finding out later that previous tenants having FIOS service); other providers weren't available in my area. Eventually, I ended up downgrading my Comcast service to a reasonable $46/mo (including the $7/modem fee). Let me know if you find any better deals w/ any other providers and I will switch in a heartbeat! Comcast doesn't own my loyalty lol! :P

Last edited by stressedCollegeGirl89; 01-03-2014 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 01-05-2014, 09:07 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,560,508 times
Here in New Britain, CT, we have Comcast and AT&T DSL service. I had Comcast's internet back in 2006 or 2007. It cut out more often than the AT&T DSL internet service I have now. It was also more expensive after the promo period ended. Our combined landline phone/DSL internet bill comes to about $80. We have a long distance block. We're working to get that price dropped.

Today, my limited basic cable bill with Comcast comes to $25.99 after all taxes or fees. The only reason I keep it is because a relative wants their QVC, TBS and NECN (New England Cable News). Reception of the local TV signals can be problematic here in central CT, since there's 4 different sites for our local TV stations (my closest signals here are CW, PBS, NBC and FOX, at no more than 5 miles away).

As for the original poster, good luck if you use a digital antenna! I've heard a lot of bad things with WPVI-TV (ABC) channel 6 and how tough it now is to get them over the air, since they're on VHF channel 6 for their digital. While a VHF-low band channel was a huge advantage in the old analog days, it's a hindrance now. (Our ABC affiliate from New Haven was analog channel 8 but uses VHF-high band channel 10 for the digital transmission.)

I haven't been to Philadelphia since February 25, 2012. I hope I can return at some point.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:49 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
I was at Target the other day to pick up some stuff and figured I'd see if they had the antennas since I was there already. They did, and I ended up getting this one - GE Flat Panel Amplified TV Antenna : Target

Super easy to set up and use. I haven't had any issues with ABC, that's the one station I usually have it on. Only downside is I don't have a channel listing to know what's what... think I'll go through them all and put one together for a quick guide. There's maybe only 5 or 6 channels I'll actually watch out of the 20+ that I get.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:02 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,043,147 times
Maybe there is an app to give you the guide.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:01 PM

301 posts, read 921,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I was at Target the other day to pick up some stuff and figured I'd see if they had the antennas since I was there already. They did, and I ended up getting this one - GE Flat Panel Amplified TV Antenna : Target

Super easy to set up and use. I haven't had any issues with ABC, that's the one station I usually have it on. Only downside is I don't have a channel listing to know what's what... think I'll go through them all and put one together for a quick guide. There's maybe only 5 or 6 channels I'll actually watch out of the 20+ that I get.
did you have to buy another coaxial cable (the reviews state that the cable that it comes with is short and on the cheap side)? where do you put the antenna? near a window?

Old 01-05-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant$ View Post
did you have to buy another coaxial cable (the reviews state that the cable that it comes with is short and on the cheap side)? where do you put the antenna? near a window?
Nope, I'm using the one that comes with it. I have the antenna sitting on my tv stand (about 3-4ft away from the window). If I do ever have to move it over to the window, I would need a longer cable... but it seems to be working fine thus far.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:27 PM

Just found a guide

AntennaPoint.com - Antenna Locator

Old 01-05-2014, 03:30 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,091 times
I get great reception in Northwest Philly - ABC, PBS, and the whole lot. I can often even get WFMZ out of Allentown in pretty decent. It pays to be at the top of the hill with no tall buildings around.

Center City was rough though - there were only a few channels I could get, and if there was anything I was planning to watch I'd often have to dedicate 10-15 minutes before hand into setting up the antenna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia