Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:56 AM

40 posts, read 241,645 times

Advertisements

Ok so my husband is a web designer and makes about $60K right now, and I go to school full-time. We're looking to get the hell out of Southern California and move back east.

I've never been to Philadelphia, so I have a few questions:

1, is it possible to get a 2-bedroom apartment for $1500 in a safe neighborhood? (right now in SoCal, gang shootings are a daily--yes, daily--occurrence near our apartment. I'd like to live in a neighborhood where I feel safe walking outside by myself and not needing triple-locks on my front door and bars on my windows.)

2, in what neighborhoods should I look for apartments? (I'm on Trulia.com right now, and to be honest, I have no idea where I should even begin looking)

3, what is the atmosphere like? (we love going to new restaurants, bars, going to concerts...)

4, what is the quality of women's health centers? (midwifery, women's birthing centers, etc)

5, I see a lot of people live in NJ and commute into Philly. Is this more practical/desirable? Why or why not?

I'm sorry if these questions seem idiotic. I'm just trying to figure out where we should move. Our original thought was Boston, but it's just too damn expensive. Then I looked into Pittsburgh, but was messaged by a bunch of people from there, as to why that would be a terrible idea... so now I'm starting to look into Philadelphia. I just want to move my family back east so we can be closer to our families
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 11:19 AM

154 posts, read 215,257 times
You can definitley get a nice apartment for that price range. Where you live may depend on where you work. It's a diverse area although there is a lot of self-segregation. There are plenty of safe areas to live. The food and bar scene as well as the entertainment scene is great here. Some of the best food you'll find anywhere - people here don't sit aroung eating cheesesteaks all day! The health care optioins are very good here also. Weather-wise, we have all four distinct seasons.

I'm sure there's a place for you here. Good luck.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:47 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,000 times
Living in an urban city like Philly may be bit of a culture shock coming from California depending where you originally came from. One thing I can honestly say about the east coast and Philadelphia ?Unless you are living in or very near a ghetto then gangs are pretty much a non-factor, they don't exist.

The suburbs most likely would closer resemble your California life style. Chesterbrooke, King of Prussia/Valley Forge.Conshohocken,Wayne,Bryn Mawr,Narberth,Media,West Chester would be good starting points in the suburbs. Over in NJ there's Cherry Hill,Haddonfield,Voorhees,Moorestown,Collingswood.

Center City Philly is amazing and definitely worth a look to see if it is for you. Great nightlife, culture,parks&recreation. 100,00 upscale residents, 100,000 college students, close to 300,000 office workers. A few minor issues to deal with like parking or lacktherof,homeless, shopping could be a bit better imo. But overall Center City is just great.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Living in an urban city like Philly may be bit of a culture shock coming from California depending where you originally came from. One thing I can honestly say about the east coast and Philadelphia ?Unless you are living in or very near a ghetto then gangs are pretty much a non-factor, they don't exist.

The suburbs most likely would closer resemble your California life style. Chesterbrooke, King of Prussia/Valley Forge.Conshohocken,Wayne,Bryn Mawr,Narberth,Media,West Chester would be good starting points in the suburbs. Over in NJ there's Cherry Hill,Haddonfield,Voorhees,Moorestown,Collingswood.

Center City Philly is amazing and definitely worth a look to see if it is for you. Great nightlife, culture,parks&recreation. 100,00 upscale residents, 100,000 college students, close to 300,000 office workers. A few minor issues to deal with like parking or lacktherof,homeless, shopping could be a bit better imo. But overall Center City is just great.

Thank you for your response! I just get anxious because on Trulia.com and other sites when I compare crime rates, Philadelphia seems higher/worse then where I'm living right now... and for the sake of my nerves, I want to live in a safe place. I don't mind the fast-paced nature of urban living though, I would love that. I'm just concerned about safety.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:18 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,000 times
In Philadelphia nearly all the crime is compacted in specific areas, crime is isolated but intense in those rougher areas. For example parts of North Philly, parts of SW Philly,parts of Chester, sections of Camden &Trenton NJ, Wilmington Del.. To be avoided- there is no reason to be near a high crime areas unless you want to be.

Center City Philly is a fairly safe neighborhood. 99% of the suburbs crime really is not a factor. You won't have any problems in a place like Chesterbrook, King of Prussia,Valley Forge,WayneMedia,Narberth West Chester etc etc...

This isn't like California. There is plenty of land here and the higher classes have headed for higher ground.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:57 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,708 times
Oh hey, I'm from SoCal as well, did the move a bit over a year ago. Where are you that you are getting gun shots every night, exactly?

I live in Center City, WashSq neighborhood, I haven't had a problem (keep in mind, I'm male). If you want to live in the city then bars on windows and triple locks are pretty much standard. Just be aware of your surroundings, I've gone on really late night runs to WaWa (not recommended) but still haven't had any issue. Pretty much what folks have said before me.

I would recommend Center City neighborhoods, Rittenhouse, Washington Square, Society Hill, Queen Village/Bella Vista (If you've ever been to Portland, the last area mentioned reminds me a lot of it). Tons of great small quaint little restaurants to dine at in these areas.

SoCal for me got sterile, the weather just amplified that feeling. Although, gotta say, love getting in a car and driving up PCH, also nature -- not much here compared to there, not as raw and grandiose, that part I do miss from time to time which isn't to say every time. Also, words of wisdom to impart on those who want to move from the left to the right, chow down on as much Mexican food as you possibly can! Simply not as good here, none that I've found so far at least. So two things I miss from there.

Anyways, it's been great living here, good luck on your move.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Oh hey, I'm from SoCal as well, did the move a bit over a year ago. Where are you that you are getting gun shots every night, exactly?

I live in Center City, WashSq neighborhood, I haven't had a problem (keep in mind, I'm male). If you want to live in the city then bars on windows and triple locks are pretty much standard. Just be aware of your surroundings, I've gone on really late night runs to WaWa (not recommended) but still haven't had any issue. Pretty much what folks have said before me.

I would recommend Center City neighborhoods, Rittenhouse, Washington Square, Society Hill, Queen Village/Bella Vista (If you've ever been to Portland, the last area mentioned reminds me a lot of it). Tons of great small quaint little restaurants to dine at in these areas.

SoCal for me got sterile, the weather just amplified that feeling. Although, gotta say, love getting in a car and driving up PCH, also nature -- not much here compared to there, not as raw and grandiose, that part I do miss from time to time which isn't to say every time. Also, words of wisdom to impart on those who want to move from the left to the right, chow down on as much Mexican food as you possibly can! Simply not as good here, none that I've found so far at least. So two things I miss from there.

Anyways, it's been great living here, good luck on your move.
Yeah, I know the Mexican food is going to be one of the hardest parts; that, and In-N-Out burger.

I agree with SoCal feeling sterile... it's very boring. I miss having different kinds of weather and climate.

How did you find the rest of the change? How is the traffic in Philly? What about job opportunities?

I live in the Long Beach area of SoCal. Within 2 weeks, two people were set on fire within 2 blocks of my apartment (one was a gang initiation, and one was a crazy homeless man).

I'm not sure I want to live in the middle of the city, I'm really looking to get away from that feeling of always having to look over my shoulder. I'd be fine living in a suburb and having to commute up to 30mins.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
In Philadelphia nearly all the crime is compacted in specific areas, crime is isolated but intense in those rougher areas. For example parts of North Philly, parts of SW Philly,parts of Chester, sections of Camden &Trenton NJ, Wilmington Del.. To be avoided- there is no reason to be near a high crime areas unless you want to be.

Center City Philly is a fairly safe neighborhood. 99% of the suburbs crime really is not a factor. You won't have any problems in a place like Chesterbrook, King of Prussia,Valley Forge,WayneMedia,Narberth West Chester etc etc...

This isn't like California. There is plenty of land here and the higher classes have headed for higher ground.
I'm just worried I wont be able to afford that higher ground. Would $1500 be enough for a 2-bedroom in a safe area?

The only tools I have right now are Trulia's crime map, so I figured asking people on here would be best, to get a better idea of the area from people who actually live there

What is the commute like from King of Prussia, into the city?

Old 12-27-2013, 05:54 AM

95 posts, read 180,588 times
$1500 is plenty -- nice housing is cheaper here than in SoCal. Check out "Graduate Hospital", "Queen Village", "Bella Vista", "Passyunk Square", "Fairmount", "Fitler Square", "Rittenhouse Square", "Washington Square West", "Washington Square East", and "Society Hill" for safe, downtown neighborhoods. All of these are trendy and near good restaurants and things to do. Some other nice (safe) city neighborhoods a little further from downtown are "University City", "Manayunk", "Northern Liberties", and "Chestnut Hill".

The best thing you can do is come for a weekend, get a hotel in center city, and explore all of these places.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:19 AM

14,144 posts, read 9,035,638 times
What Thomas Darcy said in his last sentence, but some further comments from a native of the Heartland with relatives in SoCal and Oakland who's lived here 30 years:
  • No, you're not gonna find the likes of In-n-Out Burger anywhere in this region, but I suspect you may find Five Guys an acceptable substitute. As the chain has outlets in LA, you might want to try one before moving here.
  • You will be surprised at the good, cheap Mexican fare you will be able to find here, thanks to large-scale immigration to Philadelphia from southern Mexico, in particular the state of Puebla; immigrants from that state keep restaurant kitchens humming all over town, and some run their own. Highly recommended: Taquitos del Puebla, a hole in the wall in the Italian Market that serves incredible tacos al pastor and several dishes (e.g., cabeza de res, which is exactly what it sounds like) not for the squeamish.
  • You might want to add Collingswood, N.J., to your list of communities to consider. Small-town feel, lively Main Street on Haddon Avenue, highly walkable, good dining scene in town, fast 24/7 rapid transit service to Center City via PATCO right at hand.
  • Speaking of rapid transit: Consider locations near rail stations - Regional Rail or PATCO - or even some subway-elevated stations if you're still willing to consider in-city neighborhoods. It isn't everything it could be, or should have been, but Philly's mass transit infrastructure is much better than LA's (and LA's is much better than it once was). I'm a big mass transit booster - SEPTA, NJT and PATCO make it possible for you to consider ditching your car if you choose your place of residence (and place of work) well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia