Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
We are the city of brotherly love. Professing to everyone you are from NC surely will not bring warmness from our hearts. Because frankly. No one cares. And we dont care if you dont like us. I suggest if you are unhappy. Move back. I talk to everyone on my Philadelphia block whenever I see them. Nearly everyone in the city I interact with has a warm heart. But we keep it real. And professing you are from a certain place, surely has no measure or care for us.

And we will simply for the most part. Dismiss you. Philadelphia is a city. You are either in the club and love it. Or you just dont get it. Have some Philadelphia pride. And my guess you will start seeing that friendly attitude coming back your way.

Whenever a transplant moves here and expects the city to be like their hometown. I roll my eyes.
It's a pain in the a$$ to read stuff upthread but you missed that Patmcpsu, apparently, grew up in the Phila. area near or in West Chester.

Having spent a lot of time in the south it took a long time for me to handle the "friendly" culture there. In many respects I still find it fake, intrusive, over-talking bull crap, nosy, hyper-religious and fundamentally hypocritical. I am always relieved when it's time to come home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 12:50 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's a pain in the a$$ to read stuff upthread but you missed that Patmcpsu, apparently, grew up in the Phila. area near or in West Chester.

Having spent a lot of time in the south it took a long time for me to handle the "friendly" culture there. In many respects I still find it fake, intrusive, over-talking bull crap, nosy, hyper-religious and fundamentally hypocritical. I am always relieved when it's time to come home.
Agreed. I personally love Philadelphia's realness.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:45 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Personally I thought Philadelphia was a lot friendlier than NYC. If you think Philly has cold people, you really need to visit Manhattan lol

Old 01-21-2019, 03:03 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Personally I thought Philadelphia was a lot friendlier than NYC. If you think Philly has cold people, you really need to visit Manhattan lol
I agree this. I lived in both Center City and Manhattan. People in Manhattan can be very indifferent towards other people, and because of that it is easy to feel isolated living there. In Philly, while people tend to be very direct, which is sometimes interpreted as rudeness, I found people to be quite friendly for the most part. We were friends with many of our neighbors and would get to know people who worked in the local shops, restaurants, bars, etc.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
For me a lot of the behaviorial characteristics between the two are identical. Both have tons of folks with very active BS meters. I like that.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:36 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,680,436 times
Any major city is characteristic of having a lot of depressive aspects as human life in general. General fast pace and masses tend to lose that personableness that smaller communities can offer.

Bigger cities can generally offer more services, potential options for a myriad of things, and conveniences than smaller places.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Any major city is characteristic of having a lot of depressive aspects as human life in general. General fast pace and masses tend to lose that personableness that smaller communities can offer.

Bigger cities can generally offer more services, potential options for a myriad of things, and conveniences than smaller places.
Many rural communities, if that's where you mean, have high levels of suicide. So it's not all cherry pie for those folks.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:17 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Quote:
See, this is where I think we differ. I would absolutely hate it if I was going about my business at the store and someone just started chit chatting with me because we were looking at the same brand of mustard. That's not friendly to me. That's intrusive and super annoying.

On the other hand, I travel extensively and every week find myself in new cities, states, countries. I frequently go out to dinner and to pubs by myself and honestly have found that if I strike up a conversation or even insert myself in an ongoing conversation that obviously isn't meant to be private (i.e. serious work convo or romantic partners), I almost always receive a warm welcome. I personally have never found a difference between these situations in North Carolina or downtown Manhattan.

So again, it's probably just how we view what being friendly consists of. If you want to hold me up while I'm doing a chore like washing my car or food shopping so you can discuss the weather, I'm not in the slightest interested and quite frankly rather annoyed. If you we're both in a relaxed situation where we are obviously wasting time and doing nothing of importance (like sipping some beers at a pub), then sure, let's chat.
Yes. Yes. Yes. People in Philly are friendly. But it depends on when and where you're striking up the conversation. That's all.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:34 AM

409 posts, read 370,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Many rural communities, if that's where you mean, have high levels of suicide. So it's not all cherry pie for those folks.
I would go as far as to say that there's no correlation between population density and happiness. This is at the state level, but I believe it agrees: Best states for happiness? WalletHub study ranks Hawaii first, West Virginia last

The biggest factor is prosperity. Regardless of if you're in an urban area or a rural area, if you have a job that provides the dignity of a paycheck and can make ends meet, you're probably going to be happy. The difference is that poor people in urban areas are less likely to kill themselves over it.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:30 PM

968 posts, read 1,141,003 times
Quote:
I don’t agree with this either. NYC is very fast-paced but it definitely isn’t “cold” or “unfriendly”. I think New Jersey is the most “unfriendly” from personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia