Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times

Advertisements

I managed to get my Simmons Beautyrest Queen mattress up the narrow spiral steps in my old trinity- up to the third floor. We had to basically roll it end to end and tie it fast with rope at both ends. Then with lots of pushing/pulling/cursing and some wall damage we got it up. I'm sure we damaged a few springs in the process but I slept on it comfortably for 7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 02:00 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
I only had to move a full when I was living there

You could get something like
Signature Sleep Contour - 8" Independently-Encased Coil Mattress - Walmart.com

and then add something like this:
Amazon.com - 2.5" Lucid® by LinenSpa Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper with Removable Bamboo Cover 3-Year Warranty

Basically a cheap, semi-firm but overall decent 8" queen mattress with individually pocketed coils topped by a nice, thick gel foam mattress topper to soften it up

I actually have both of these in my house - just not packaged together ........ both were delivered packaged in a way where they are folded/rolled and the air is sucked out .... the gel topper in a normal sized box and the mattress was like a large duffle ..... both would be flexible enough to move out as well

Old 01-08-2014, 03:05 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
I had no problems getting a queen mattress into and out of rowhomes. They key is whether you can flip the mattress over the guardrail at the top of the stairs...

Old 01-08-2014, 03:11 PM

225 posts, read 395,090 times
"The mattress I had picked was a Beautyrest firm pillow top. I kept going back and forth between the firms and the pillow tops, and the guy saw I couldn't decide between the two. Only a handful of companies make the firm pillow tops as it is. When I laid on that one, I instantly knew that's what I wanted. So if the foam mattresses have something comparable in between firm and pillow top, that may be doable."

I feel ya when it come to sleep on a pillow top. The old mattress was like that and it was bliss.
A foam mattress won't give you that experience. What we did was purchase the firmness level we wanted in foam and then got an pillow top mattress pad. We had already had the deeper pocket type sheets for our old pillow top so it all worked out.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:23 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
FYI - this is the stairway that's the problem. Not only is the entrance to the stairs low, but the sloped ceiling from the second stairway is also causing an issue.

I will definitely keep the lower qual mattress/good topper in mind. Cattus-where did you get your pillow top pad from?

Old 01-08-2014, 04:02 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
ooohh weird trinity stair. yeah, that's tricky.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:03 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
FYI - this is the stairway that's the problem. Not only is the entrance to the stairs low, but the sloped ceiling from the second stairway is also causing an issue.

I will definitely keep the lower qual mattress/good topper in mind. Cattus-where did you get your pillow top pad from?
That is exactly like the stairway in my aforementioned trinity.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:58 PM

Loads of places on the web.
I got mine here. https://www.pacificcoast.com/bedding...ed-topper.html

I went this route because I did not what a cheap mattress. The foam one I have is rated for 25 years. Hubby and I felt it was much easier and less expensive to change out the topper during the life of the mattress.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:09 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Alright, I ended up going with a foam mattress! Based on what mattress I had previously picked, the guy had 4 different ones to try. I laid on all of them a bunch of times but was definitely gravitating towards one of them, so I messed around with that one for a bit more and was sold on it. It's a Cool Elegance from Serta and it shouldn't have any issues getting up the stairs (crossing my fingers). Just for the heck of it, I tried out some of the Tempurpedics and that must've been the type I slept on previously because it was AWFUL! It was like laying on a stone slab, I can't believe it was supposed to be memory foam. I'll probably just stick with this for now and if I feel the need for a topper, I'll look into it.

They're working out delivery now but it's looking like Saturday. I want the low profile box springs though and those won't be in till next week... so they said they can set me up with the standard profile and then swap out with the low profile once they come in. So hopefully on Saturday I can come back here and let you know that my mattress finally made it up these awful stairs!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:20 PM

Good for you. I hope everything works out. I had the same experience with the Temper Pedic also which is why we passed on it. Also the price on the Serta was much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia