Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:55 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Telemundo and NBC 10 are going relocate into studios on the 6-7-8th floors. Hopefully in the future other Comcast/NBC Universal TV entities will join them.

wow, after all these years of being on city line avenue. shocking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 06:08 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
wow, after all these years of being on city line avenue. shocking
Since Comcast bought out NBC/Universal a few years back and now owns them 100%... no, not shocking at all lol.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:20 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Since Comcast bought out NBC/Universal a few years back and now owns them 100%... no, not shocking at all lol.

I mean it will be shocking not to see NBC10 on city ave anymore. What about CSN? Are they moving from south philly?

Old 01-18-2014, 08:34 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullligan150 View Post
Agreed. I think this design is plain and uninteresting, and I looks as though much of that height is contributed by that spire (which I suppose is not a spire by definition, but an integral part of the building's structure). I liked the American commerce center and would be much more pleased if they adopted the design of that building for this project.
At least it is not an antenna posing as a spire as is the case of the World Trade Center 1 in NYC.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Without the spire, this new Comcast tower would be 996' tall. Fail.
Even with 996 feet tall ... that would be 303.58 meters tall, which still qualifies as a "Supertall" skyscraper. Supertalls must be 300 or more meters.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:08 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Even with 996 feet tall ... that would be 303.58 meters tall, which still qualifies as a "Supertall" skyscraper. Supertalls must be 300 or more meters.
STILL....Couldn't they add just 4 little feet to the height of the roof?

Old 01-18-2014, 10:43 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
At least it is not an antenna posing as a spire as is the case of the World Trade Center 1 in NYC.
That only happened as a result of last-minute value engineering (which was protested by the building's architects), in which the architectural shell was deleted from the spire structure to save $20 million.
No telling if the same thing will happen here. There's still years to get to the finish line.

Last edited by rotodome; 01-18-2014 at 11:00 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 08:40 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
WHY?

I mean honestly, I will admit to very consistently complaining about the height of buildings and the NIMBYs that fight against them. However, I do so because I love density. The added people and amenities that come with bigger buildings is what I care about because I know those factors will make this city greater.

All of this bellyaching about the height of the CITC is just ridiculous though. What would adding 4 feet to this building do for this building? For comcast? for this city? who cares?

All of this obsession over 1,000 ft. WHO CARES? How would you even tell the difference? Like you'll be able to see a 4ft difference looking up 1,000 ft below. Who even cares about ft, it's a made up construct that means nothing, and we're the only backwards country that even uses them.

I can see complaining about height when a building at 20th and market will only 367 feet and is surrounded by much taller buildings and could clearly support more. But this building will be the tallest in america outside of NYC and Chicago. And I still keep seeing people complain about the height! Absurd.

It's really sort of hard to overstate the importance of this building for Philadelphia. It's not just all the jobs this will bring to Philly, it's all the jobs that will come here to huddle around comcast and all of the vast needs and interests they have. This is huge. Literally and figuratively. Philadelphia will never be the same.

And the building itself? I loved it the moment I saw it, I continue to love more each time I see it and I absolutely can't wait to see actually become a reality because I'm positive it will look even greater in person.

People in this city will bellyache over absolutely anything, I knew that. But the amount of complaining and criticism over the height and design of this building none the less blew me away.

Why not just tell yourself it's roof is 1,000 ft tall. Who could prove you wrong? Who would know? They don't make tape measures that long.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
WHY?

I mean honestly, I will admit to very consistently complaining about the height of buildings and the NIMBYs that fight against them. However, I do so because I love density. The added people and amenities that come with bigger buildings is what I care about because I know those factors will make this city greater.

All of this bellyaching about the height of the CITC is just ridiculous though. What would adding 4 feet to this building do for this building? For comcast? for this city? who cares?

All of this obsession over 1,000 ft. WHO CARES? How would you even tell the difference? Like you'll be able to see a 4ft difference looking up 1,000 ft below. Who even cares about ft, it's a made up construct that means nothing, and we're the only backwards country that even uses them.

I can see complaining about height when a building at 20th and market will only 367 feet and is surrounded by much taller buildings and could clearly support more. But this building will be the tallest in america outside of NYC and Chicago. And I still keep seeing people complain about the height! Absurd.

It's really sort of hard to overstate the importance of this building for Philadelphia. It's not just all the jobs this will bring to Philly, it's all the jobs that will come here to huddle around comcast and all of the vast needs and interests they have. This is huge. Literally and figuratively. Philadelphia will never be the same.

And the building itself? I loved it the moment I saw it, I continue to love more each time I see it and I absolutely can't wait to see actually become a reality because I'm positive it will look even greater in person.

People in this city will bellyache over absolutely anything, I knew that. But the amount of complaining and criticism over the height and design of this building none the less blew me away.

Why not just tell yourself it's roof is 1,000 ft tall. Who could prove you wrong? Who would know? They don't make tape measures that long.
I'm about as anti-corporate as one can get but there is no denying that this will help Philadelphia and it's progressing revival.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
I understand where you are coming from.

I wish nature gave me just another inch or two.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia