Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 991 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. I hope you can help us start our search. Our top priorities (in order of importance) are Good schools, Near basic needs, Diversity and near public transit 30 min or less to city. I don’t know anything about Philadelphia neighborhoods or suburbs or where to look for rentals beyond craigslist. Would appreciate some suggestions! We will be taking a few trips to visit recommendations so the more precise the better. Thanks!

When are you moving? June – August 2014
Where are you coming from? North Jersey
Why are you moving? Cheaper cost of living. Friendlier Neighborhood.
Where will you be working? Work from home
Have you been here yet? yes

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Hopefully Detached 3BR with garage, 1600-1800 including all utilities if possible?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Prefer detached walk up (am I dreaming?)

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? We considered south NJ, but I’ve read that Philly suburbs give you better bang for your buck and have friendly walkable towns. South NJ seems to be pretty bland with matching houses and strip malls. We are open to living closer to/in Philly if any neighborhoods there fit our criteria.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with 10 year old so decent schools are important.
Do you prefer public or private schools? public
Do you have pets? No.
Do you want or need a yard? Yes.
Are you keeping a car? Yes.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? A nice mix. Definitely used to having people walking the neighborhood and stores within walking distance. Too quiet might make us nervous But want to be able to relax at night.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work n/a
Shopping Yes!
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) Yes! Top Priority.
Nightlife no preference
Train or subway stations yes! Top Priority. We live 20 minutes outside of NYC by car. Would be nice to live 30 minutes or less by public transit to Philly if possible.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Diversity is important. We are referred to as African American and would prefer to not be the token family. Being around other young families is also important. Would like to be in a neighborhood with a community feel and children my son can play with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
I'm not are sure about availability of apartments, but here are a few comments.

Based on the fact that you are African American and do not want to be the "token family", the first great recommendation that comes to mind is Abington Township, north of the city in Montgomery County. Schools are very good. It's about ~10% black or so, but you can do that research. Multiple train lines run through Abington and you can be in Center City in about a half hour.

Another great suggestion would be Ambler. Also Jenkintown (which is in Cheltenham Township, which is fairly diverse).

I attended the Colonial School District which was about 5% black (about 80% white in total), so that might be a little "too white" compared to what you are looking for.

Another suggestion might be Lower Merion, which is slightly northeast of the city. Good train access, great schools, and many apartment complexes.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
Ambler may be a good choice. It's an actual town, so should have more rental options. I don't know about the borough itself, but Wissahickon School District (which Ambler is a part of) is about 15% black, and is a very good district. It has a nice little downtown, and a train station that is about 35 minutes to center city philly.

Last edited by Angus215; 01-22-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,745 times
Default Delaware County

There are nice diverse areas in Delaware county that could meet your needs. Media, is nice town with decent schools, a nice walking areas and some diversity.

Springfield may fit what you are looking for, but may be a little pricey

Haverford area has excellent schools, a nice town, diversity but not a lot of walking area

All are about 30 minutes or so to the city and accessable by 95 and the blue route
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia