U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:26 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times

Advertisements

The reason I think that many people stay out of the cities is because our towns are where our social and family ties are. Our house is not nearly as important as what we do with our time. Our friends are here, hopefully once all my kids are done college they will still want to come back and visit and eventually bring their own kids. I like the quiet here, I like to be able to open our door and let the dog out (electric fence), to sit out with our neighbors on pleasant evenings three seasons of the year, or have an impromptu barbeque. I really like taking a quick drive to wherever and not have to deal with traffic - longer drives would involve traffic. If I want to take a college class, I have six colleges within 20 minutes and all the other fringe benefits of colleges - lectures, plays and performances. Nothing except getting rid of the yardwork makes city living sound that great to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 07:42 AM

4,744 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Thanks for the article, Duderino! Funny, I had just read it online not long before you posted it. It's not exactly news to me; I guess it only now reached enough critical mass to make it newsworthy.
Haha, what a coincidence, and yes, I guess this has been going on for years, but now it's gaining much more momentum now with all of the new luxury residential towers shooting up downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I agree that it makes sense for older empty-nesters to consider a vibrant yet lower-maintenance lifestyle that Center City can offer. I also agree that it will be interesting to see what happens to new homeowners of all ages when the ten-year tax abatement subsides in the coming years.
Definitely. Maybe this will just breed a cycle of people moving in-and-out, but I'm sure many others will make roots and not think too much of paying taxes when the abatement subsides -- it's probably too early to tell. Nevertheless, at least this trend is drawing back affluent residents that the city lost over the past half-century, and while keeping housing fair for people of every social class may also become a new issue, this will also paint less of a lopsided socioeconomic picture for Philadelphia, as far too many city residents live below the poverty line.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 14,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Certainly the property taxes would be equivalent or better in the surrounding suburbs, but they might be lower in retirement areas, like lower Delaware for example. I wish the abatement had been structured so that it didn't go from 0-100% overnight. Phasing in the property taxes over the ten years would have acclimated people better.
I don't know, people should be aware. We bought this year with the clear understanding that the taxes will increase.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:42 AM

809 posts, read 2,186,620 times
Here's the city-slicker's response to why the city is attractive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The reason I think that many people stay out of the cities is because our towns are where our social and family ties are.
Can't argue with that.

Quote:
Our house is not nearly as important as what we do with our time. Our friends are here, hopefully once all my kids are done college they will still want to come back and visit and eventually bring their own kids.
Yes, but what do they do when they get there? Go to a restaurant? Shop? Seems kind of bland. In the city there are many more activities to do and places to go! You could go see a play, an opera, check out new movies and cool arts and activities without ever needing to go very far.

Quote:
I like the quiet here, I like to be able to open our door and let the dog out (electric fence), to sit out with our neighbors on pleasant evenings three seasons of the year, or have an impromptu barbeque.
Fair enough about the quiet. I (and many others I know) like the constant buzz of activity within cities. It's not too hard to walk your dog in the city's parks, you just need a leash.

Quote:
I really like taking a quick drive to wherever and not have to deal with traffic - longer drives would involve traffic.
No need to deal with traffic when walking or taking the train. This is a huge issue for me and a lot of others I know who like cities. Walking keeps you healthy and active. Walking to most places is a great way to keep a decent level of physical activity. Cars are expensive, gas costs money, and so does insurance and maintenance. Why deal with all this if you don't have to!

Quote:
If I want to take a college class, I have six colleges within 20 minutes and all the other fringe benefits of colleges - lectures, plays and performances. Nothing except getting rid of the yardwork makes city living sound that great to me.
Nothing more than a quick train ride away from Penn, Drexel, and Temple if in Philly. Heck, you can get to NYC on the train pretty quickly too!

These are the main reasons why some people really like city life.
(no suburbanites were harmed in the making of this document)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or