Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 01:15 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Well maybe you just been lucky all those years because we can't act like it's not ever any crime underground.
Regardless of time day, regardless of station, the subway is safe! Safer than walking on the street. What will it take to pound this simple fact into your head?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 01:24 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Just realized this morning why i hate the Broad Street subway

It's because of the way it's designed which is nothing like the el. On the el all the seats are the same way they are on the bus which all facing in the same direction. On the BSL the way the seats are setup has people staring in each other's face in the morning which forces me to look down at the floor lol
LOL! This imagery is cracking me up. Seats don't really face the same way but I kind of understand what you mean. Even still, who cares? Are you not comfortable in social settings or around other people?

Maybe people are staring at you because you are staring down at the floor the whole time haha. Maybe you just need some weed to relax haha.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:37 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
LOL! This imagery is cracking me up. Seats don't really face the same way but I kind of understand what you mean. Even still, who cares? Are you not comfortable in social settings or around other people?

Maybe people are staring at you because you are staring down at the floor the whole time haha. Maybe you just need some weed to relax haha.
Not sure if you knew this or not but starting is very rude.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:09 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times
You sound like a paranoid suburbanite FJB, and its so far from reality its ridiculous. I take the Broad Street Line every day at all times, including overnight weekend service. I have been on it multiple times at 2:30-3am, sometimes alone and sometimes with others, and often intoxicated from the bars, and not a single person has ever bothered me or anyone I was with. Not. One. Single. Time.

I feel much safer waiting in a well lit station with other people and usually cops, then I do waiting for a bus on a dark corner where no one is around.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:13 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
You sound like a paranoid suburbanite FJB, and its so far from reality its ridiculous. I take the Broad Street Line every day at all times, including overnight weekend service. I have been on it multiple times at 2:30-3am, sometimes alone and sometimes with others, and often intoxicated from the bars, and not a single person has ever bothered me or anyone I was with. Not. One. Single. Time.

I feel much safer waiting in a well lit station with other people and usually cops, then I do waiting for a bus on a dark corner where no one is around.
Me telling him that I have been riding the EL and BSL since the mid-1950s, without incident, didn't make any impact on his thinking either.

Some people really do fear being underground though. I had a friend who was like that. It was kinda like how some people fear heights and flying.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:19 PM

I would not have any reason to be on a subway after midnight since I don't go to clubs or bars or have a job that require me to travel late hours.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:41 AM

333 posts, read 282,820 times
If you had, you might think differently.

The other thing is that SEPTA properties are all outfitted with surveillance. There are cameras in every conceivable nook, cranny and angle at pretty much every station. That has had a positive effect on crime, since it's now much easier to see and identify anyone who might commit something. Add in the SEPTA employees and, as noted above, the regular presence of transit police strolling in and out of cars, and you're pretty darn safe.

That's not to say isolated crimes can't occur--no place on earth is 100% free of that--but you're far safer on the subway than, say, a fairly deserted street corner without people or surveillance.

If you still don't want to deal with subway, fine. But don't act like it's some grand mystery or monumental feat of incompetence that bus service on Broad is lousy. You're right above a high-volume rapid transit line; it will always be lousy.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:52 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Not sure if you knew this or not but starting is very rude.

Stare right back-they'll get the message. Maybe, they're interested in talking to you?

Old 02-13-2015, 07:54 PM

Looked at the schedule for both buses on Broad street and they run every 15 mins. I swear it feels like every 30 mins the way I have to stand in the middle of Broad street with binoculars looking for the bus. lol

Old 02-14-2015, 07:17 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
I would not have any reason to be on a subway after midnight since I don't go to clubs or bars or have a job that require me to travel late hours.
So, given that, you come on here with the idea that's it's unsafe when you never/rarely ride it, seemingly, at all.

I mean can't you see how ridiculous you're being? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia