Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:42 AM

182 posts, read 377,155 times

Advertisements

I could see why the OP would not want to ride the subway. It's dark, dingy, it makes me feel unsafe to ride it at night unless I'm with friends. I feel trapped in a car with a bunch of shady looking people and every time one someone digs into their pocket for something I cringe.

The 16 leaves Cheltenham almost every 10 minutes (I would know, I live near it), and it gets hung up in traffic mostly which makes it late. It is supposed to be at every "major" station every 7 minutes. They had to split it with the "4" so it would stop being so late!

It is a subway, but the fact that it is so EMPTY when it's not rush hours really does give it that "creepy" feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:15 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatdoesthefoxsay65 View Post
I could see why the OP would not want to ride the subway. It's dark, dingy, it makes me feel unsafe to ride it at night unless I'm with friends. I feel trapped in a car with a bunch of shady looking people and every time one someone digs into their pocket for something I cringe.

The 16 leaves Cheltenham almost every 10 minutes (I would know, I live near it), and it gets hung up in traffic mostly which makes it late. It is supposed to be at every "major" station every 7 minutes. They had to split it with the "4" so it would stop being so late!

It is a subway, but the fact that it is so EMPTY when it's not rush hours really does give it that "creepy" feel.
I would never ever ever be on a subway at night time. Just asking to get robbed

Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
I would never ever ever be on a subway at night time. Just asking to get robbed
The Philly Metro is fairly safe at all times. Although it can be a bit shady during the night. The stations I would be on guard are:

BRL (Broad-Ridge Line "8th and Market Train"):

Fairmount station,
Chinatown (Really creepy)
Erie
North Philadelphia

BSL Local Stations:

Wyoming, Logan, Erie, North Philadelphia (really creepy and empty), and Tasker-Morris

BSL Express:

Erie

Market Frankford Stops:

All of them going East Bound past Spring Garden

46th (kinda safe now) st, 52nd (Starts getting scary), 56th (scary), 60th, 63rd (less scary) , Milbourne (DON'T EVEN TRY TO GET OFF THERE!), and 69th St can be a little bit shady.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
The Philly Metro is fairly safe at all times. Although it can be a bit shady during the night. The stations I would be on guard are:

Fairmount station,
Erie
North Philadelphia

BSL Local Stations:

Wyoming, Logan, Erie, North Philadelphia (really creepy and empty), and Tasker-Morris

BSL Express:

Erie

Market Frankford Stops:

46th (kinda safe now) st, 52nd (Starts getting scary), 56th (scary), 60th, 63rd (less scary) , Milbourne (DON'T EVEN TRY TO GET OFF THERE!), and 69th St can be a little bit shady.
I didn't think 69th street could be shady since its a major el station with stores inside

Old 01-29-2014, 11:50 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,437 times
Quote:

Fairmount station,
Erie
North Philadelphia

BSL Local Stations:

BSL Express:

Erie

Market Frankford Stops:

There are only 2 stops on the ridge line that are independent of the rest of the bsl. BSL express? Other than the Fairmount and Chinatown stop t's the same stations as the BSL. Why in the world would you list Erie three times? They're all the same station! Have you ever even been to these stations?

Also who in the world is afraid of the Tasker-Morris station? And Milbourne is a perfectly fine little neighborhood. Where are you getting this information?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
There are only 2 stops on the ridge line that are independent of the rest of the bsl. BSL express? Other than the Fairmount and Chinatown stop t's the same stations as the BSL. Why in the world would you list Erie three times? They're all the same station! Have you ever even been to these stations?

Also who in the world is afraid of the Tasker-Morris station? And Milbourne is a perfectly fine little neighborhood. Where are you getting this information?
Where can I catch the express going to 8th street and china town?

Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Where can I catch the express going to 8th street and china town?
fern rock, olney, north philly, girard, or fairmount

Old 01-29-2014, 03:36 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,385 times
Quote:
Not always Fern Rock, but always Erie.

I was somewhat concerned about using Erie station everyday before I moved up here, but it's really not shady at all. It's a pretty bustling atmosphere, and I use it fairly early in the morning pretty often. Although not really at night. It's a major transfer point between the BSL and the 23, 53, 56, H, and XH. Plus Broad and Erie is sort of a destination in its own right. Plus Temple Medical School. I honestly feel as safe there as I do anywhere in Center City. The only real menace is school kids with too much energy - and they're just as bad in Center City.

What it really sounds like is that that poster is scared of Philadelphia. Granted, the rapid transit system hasn't exactly done wonders for the neighborhoods it serves, but they pretty much listed the entire system outside of Center City and some of South Philly.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:

I didn't know express trains stopped at Fairmount since the express train from city hall in the morning doesn't stop at Fairmount

Old 02-03-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:

I was listing the stations for each of the lines, although the repetitive thing was in the back of my mind. Tasker-Morris is really empty during the night and it seems to be a bit shady during the night. Milbourne gives me the creeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia