Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 01:01 PM

24 posts, read 52,023 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm a single twenty-something looking to relocate and one of the places up for consideration is Wayne, PA.
Of course, I'd visit and do in-person research before making a final decision, but wanted to get some thoughts before considering it further.

What is the feel of Wayne? Is it local or is it highly commercialized?
What's the night life like?
What's the job market like? Are there a fair amount of opportunities for people seeking entry-level jobs?
Are the people warm? Are they snooty?
What about fairs and festivals? I currently live in Louisville, where there are many festivals (mostly niche, but still) and enough fairs and art fairs. Are there free/inexpensive activities such as these in Wayne?
I like to go on runs at night but haven't been able to since moving to Louisville. Is Wayne a safe enough place to do that?

Tell me anything you want about the place. I want to know!

Any nearby places you'd recommend taking a look at as well? I'm looking for someplace affordable for someone with an entry level job.

Thanks in advance for tips and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 03:15 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petitecraftygeek View Post
Hello!

I'm a single twenty-something looking to relocate and one of the places up for consideration is Wayne, PA.
Of course, I'd visit and do in-person research before making a final decision, but wanted to get some thoughts before considering it further.

What's the job market like? Are there a fair amount of opportunities for people seeking entry-level jobs?
What about fairs and festivals? I currently live in Louisville, where there are many festivals (mostly niche, but still) and enough fairs and art fairs. Are there free/inexpensive activities such as these in Wayne?
I like to go on runs at night but haven't been able to since moving to Louisville. Is Wayne a safe enough place to do that?

Tell me anything you want about the place. I want to know!

Any nearby places you'd recommend taking a look at as well? I'm looking for someplace affordable for someone with an entry level job.

Thanks in advance for tips and suggestions!
There are worse places for single twenty-somethings, but there are also much better places for single twenty-somethings. It's a great place to be if you have a family, want to live out in the suburbs, have easy train access, and a charming collection of shops and restaurants (mostly higher-end) that one can walk to. It's very safe and also tends to be pricey (but you don't have to shell out a ton of cash to be safe in the suburbs, or even the city). If you'd be working out in the western suburbs and don't want to schlep in from the city, depending on where your job is, I'd recommend West Chester, Conshohocken, Media, Ardmore, and Phoenixville instead (in about that order, all things being equal).

Old 02-02-2014, 09:30 AM

24 posts, read 52,023 times
Thanks, HeavenWood!

What's the demographic like? If it's family oriented, I'm guessing there aren't many young singles out there, or a good selection of nightlife? What about activities and events throughout the year?

Old 02-02-2014, 10:58 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petitecraftygeek View Post
Thanks, HeavenWood!

What's the demographic like? If it's family oriented, I'm guessing there aren't many young singles out there, or a good selection of nightlife? What about activities and events throughout the year?
Not many young singles, no. Some good bars and restaurants, but of the more sedate variety. Activities and events I'm less certain about, but I wouldn't think there's very many.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:02 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times

Quiet Main Street USA Family Town. Mainly local and authentic. The commercialization hub is a few miles North in King of Prussia.

Wayne itself? A few nice restaurants and bars but as heavenwood alluded to its certainly not known for its nightlife. Wayne is connected to a dozen or two other towns similar to it and as a whole they offer plenty of entertainment options.

The main nightlife spots in the area are Center City Philly and Manayunk. As mentioned every town has their own little thing on. A few towns standout like West Chester,Media,maybe Bryn Mawr which is a hot spot for many Main Line college students.

Comparitively speaking yes. Is the job market as thriving as NYC,DC,Houston etc? No. But it is one of the 5 largest msa's in the country. Plenty of jobs for enthusiastic job seekers

A bit of both

Region wise there is no shortage of fairs,,events. Wayne itself is not known for big fairs. Remember Wayne is a blip of the overall region.

Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia