Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:47 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,412 times

Advertisements

No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 09:52 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Right!

There is no need for Philadelphia to be like NYC. Philadelphia needs to be better than what it is. It needs to grow and change and evolve. NYC has nothing to do with it.
it needs to be more of what it used to be (a great place to work or start a company, an excellent park system, and more affordable to the average person than boston or ny

Old 02-10-2014, 10:47 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
In size alone, no way. However I think right now Philly is like a mini version of NYC.
When I lived in Minneapolis, there were a few times I heard it referred to as the "Mini-Apple" which was sort of clever, but had nothing to do with reality. Nor does Philadelphia being a mini-New York.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:45 PM

82 posts, read 160,004 times
Comparing Minneapolis to NYC is almost comical. They have literally almost nothing in common (well, except for the fact that both have buildings, streets, stores, etc). It's like comparing a Honda Civic to a Bentley Continental....I mean, they're both cars, but that's pretty much where the comparison ends.

As for Philly. No. NYC is a world megalopolis. Its an international city like Paris, London, HK. Philly is what it is... and it will never be anything like NYC (now or in the future).

And for someone born and raised here, that's just fine with me.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:11 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,606 times
I would think that Center City, and hopefully the surrounding neighborhoods, already do attract young people seeking a vibrant urban lifestyle but don't want to pay extra to live in Manhattan. As NYC gets more expensive, I can't see why more people wouldn't just live in Philadelphia. Obviously some go to New York because of a unique employment opportunity; I'm thinking more people who work as waiters or bartenders or do three jobs and pay 1,000$ a month to live in a micro-apartment sharing kitchen and bath space with 10 other people. I can't see why people wouldn't just live in Center City and enjoy a full apartment and save some money. If one wants to live in a city to enjoy nice restaurants, bars, clubs, museums, theater, and parks, Philadelphia has everything you need. So from that perspective, I don't see the appeal of New York over Philadelphia.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:14 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf3971 View Post
Comparing Minneapolis to NYC is almost comical. They have literally almost nothing in common (well, except for the fact that both have buildings, streets, stores, etc). It's like comparing a Honda Civic to a Bentley Continental....I mean, they're both cars, but that's pretty much where the comparison ends.

As for Philly. No. NYC is a world megalopolis. Its an international city like Paris, London, HK. Philly is what it is... and it will never be anything like NYC (now or in the future).

And for someone born and raised here, that's just fine with me.
It's not all that much more comical than comparing Philadelphia to New York. It's a place of significance - the metro area is about half the size of Philly (for the 16th largest in the nation) and the cities themselves - Minneapolis and St. Paul - come in combined at about half the size of Philly. There's plenty of opportunity for work, entertainment, shopping, and the like. Mass transit lacks, and they're a little more car-centric, but it's a workable system and they're a lot more serious about improving it out there than we are here.

Neither are comical, really, it just shows a combination of a lack of imagination and misguided aspirations. What exactly does Philadelphia have in common with New York moreso than other cities? I think Philadelphia is an interesting place on its own merits, and can be as highly regarded of a city in the future based on its own merits.

A lot of cities want to be like New York (which is part of the obsession of the skyline, even in cities much smaller than Philadelphia which don't have the transportation system that allows for such density to exist without massive amounts of parking - which has the outcome of making their downtowns less vibrant than they would be if built at a smaller scale).

Anyway, I stand by what I said. Before I lived here, I thought it might be like a smaller New York. And then I figured out it was Philadelphia - an endlessly interesting place with its own character and identity.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:16 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Center City is already a great urban neighborhood but the sky is the limit. Its relative affordability is going to be very enticing for young millennials who can live a much better life here as opposed to uber expensive NYC-DC-Bos.

You are already seeing the beginning of Center Citys great renaissance, the past 15 years has been a continuous upward swing and if/once they get Market East cleaned up then Center City will be all the better. Look at all the new apartment towers and projects happening in and around Center City/University City. Probably a dozen or 2 major projects happening/ will happen in the next year. Thats where the action is. Go out to King of Prussia,West Chester,Cherry Hill? Great family areas but its Not that busy.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:08 PM

82 posts, read 160,004 times
But I think comparing Philly to NY is comical as well....Having lived in both, I can say without question that the two have very, very little in common. Density wise, transportation wise, culturally, economically, on and on.
I love Philly. I was born here, raised here, left for a while, and came back.... But it simply can not be compared to New York

Old 02-10-2014, 03:50 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,044,124 times
I think it will eventually serve as a proper NYC alternative and with a high speed rail it could be a kind of co economy.

I think it really needs to work on it's subway access before it can be a proper subway lifestyle though. Right now there is only a small area where you can really be car free and using the subway regularly.

I think NYC would be a stronger / better place if it had a realistic and comparable competitor. Anytime anything has a monopoly it becomes over priced and lesser quality (than what it would have been otherwise).

Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
I hope in 10 to 20 years; Center City Philly will become like Manhattan amenity-wise. I am so tired having to go to NYC for some of the stuff I need to buy. But please let the apartment in my area cheap like it is now HA HA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia