Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 09:49 AM

9 posts, read 77,537 times

Advertisements

hi. i also posted this quesiton to the other state that's involved. I've been a long time resident of another state (Arizona), but last couple of years i have been spending more and more time back in philly (lived her for 10 years before). I have a residence here now as well. this It would benefit me greatly on taxes to declare that I was a part year resident of arizona for the first half of year (true) and pennsylvania for second half of year (also true) - i'd save about 1000 dollars!Q uestions: if I declared as a part time resident on tax form for part time residents of pennsylvania , would I be able to do the exact same thing next year on the tax forms ?(i.e. part time resident again)-or can you just use that form once? (e.g. arizona insturctions say part year resident is someone whbo has no intents of returning - not true- and I don't know what PA instructions say). Also, would switching out to PA for half the year "officially" on taxes mean that I have to swithc my liscence, registration, and car insurance to PA? I'd rather not do that, in part becasue I plan to go back to AZ for part of the year. also have to think about consequences for helath insurance. Would like to know if others have done this- there must be other part time PA residents. thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:30 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki333 View Post
hi. i also posted this quesiton to the other state that's involved. I've been a long time resident of another state (Arizona), but last couple of years i have been spending more and more time back in philly (lived her for 10 years before). I have a residence here now as well. this It would benefit me greatly on taxes to declare that I was a part year resident of arizona for the first half of year (true) and pennsylvania for second half of year (also true) - i'd save about 1000 dollars!Q uestions: if I declared as a part time resident on tax form for part time residents of pennsylvania , would I be able to do the exact same thing next year on the tax forms ?(i.e. part time resident again)-or can you just use that form once? (e.g. arizona insturctions say part year resident is someone whbo has no intents of returning - not true- and I don't know what PA instructions say). Also, would switching out to PA for half the year "officially" on taxes mean that I have to swithc my liscence, registration, and car insurance to PA? I'd rather not do that, in part becasue I plan to go back to AZ for part of the year. also have to think about consequences for helath insurance. Would like to know if others have done this- there must be other part time PA residents. thanks much.
First, congratulations on being even a part-time resident of a state without snow
As for your questions ... any time I see scenarios like this (those with financial/legal impact, posed in a forum that isn't dedicated to taxes and accounting) I always recommend biting the bullet and paying for an hour of a CPA's time. He/she will tell you exactly what you need to know, and you won't get what would likely be conflicting advice from strangers - forums like this are good for opinions about where to live, why the 76ers are underachieving, etc., but when a question is both complex and has potential legal/fin'al consequences, you're better off with a pro (and you may even come out ahead in the long run). Even if the advice isn't what you want to hear, you'll at least have the comfort of knowing what to do and how to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia