Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 05:51 PM

73 posts, read 129,421 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Philly in 6/1 to attend Penn for graduate school. I'm a 25 year old female, moving alone (most likely), and I'm looking for help in finding an apartment, since apartment shopping from 9 hours away is a huge pain in the behind. I've been told that many of the buildings in Center City don't post much on the internet, rather they have books by the doorman with available apartments. Is this truly the case?

I'm visiting Philly in late March to do my house hunting. Hopefully this will be a good time for a 6/1 move-in. Can anyone suggest a few specific buildings to look at? I think I'd prefer to be in Center City, close to the bridge and/or the bus line that goes to University City.

A few wants:
- safe location
- a 1 bedroom, but will consider a studio
- under $1,500
- in unit laundry
- elevator
- pet friendly
- off street parking (my SUV has to come with me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,229 times
That kind of seems like an awkward want list. Off street parking will require a ~$200/mo garage. Also in unit laundry is not common in the cheaper big apartment buildings which have elevators.

I think what might be good is to stay in either university city or fitler square and leave your car at either a lot near penn or near you which ever is closer (eventually you are likely to permanently park it at family's). This will possibly mean being in a "walk up" even though it's a max of 1 or 2 stories climb.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:57 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
An SUV is going to be a tough fit for Center City and if you're still making payments on it or it's a lease I absolutely would NOT park it on the street. Scratches, dings, dents and broken mirrors are a fact of life.

If you really want Center City and you can fit parking into your budget (you might be able to make it work) I would call up some of the RE agencies that specializes in rentals. It's free and they do a lot of the leg work for you.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:17 PM

73 posts, read 129,421 times
I'm aiming lower in rent so I can add things such as parking after. The car has to come since I have to be off campus three days a week. I grew up in NYC, so I know it's going to take a little bit of a beating. The car really isn't negotiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia