Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 11,173 times

Advertisements

Hi all, first time poster here.
I am going to Penn Law next fall, and will be moving to Philly around July. I have a wife and a Dog, and my sister might be moving with me as well to attend Eastern University up by King of Prussia. We are looking for a place to live on a budget of around 1600, and want to live in a relatively safe neighborhood. We will need to take at least one car for my sister, maybe two, depending on where the wife gets a job. I would like to be able to get to UPenn within about 30 minutes max via public transportation. We are thinking of Roxborough Manayunk area, but I have no idea what the public transportation situation will be like. We will be renting and would prefer a house that had at least a little yard and easyish parking. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 04:45 PM

166 posts, read 278,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentman View Post
Hi all, first time poster here.
I am going to Penn Law next fall, and will be moving to Philly around July. I have a wife and a Dog, and my sister might be moving with me as well to attend Eastern University up by King of Prussia. We are looking for a place to live on a budget of around 1600, and want to live in a relatively safe neighborhood. We will need to take at least one car for my sister, maybe two, depending on where the wife gets a job. I would like to be able to get to UPenn within about 30 minutes max via public transportation. We are thinking of Roxborough Manayunk area, but I have no idea what the public transportation situation will be like. We will be renting and would prefer a house that had at least a little yard and easyish parking. Thanks so much!
The regional trains go through Roxborough, and they will have you Downtown within 15 minutes. I don't live there so I can't say how frequently they come, but I do know you will be able to take it during the morning rush and evening rush fine. The trains also stops around 12, so that's something to think about. Manayunk has the 61, which runs down Main Street in Manayunk and Ridge Ave in North Philly. It will have you Downtown in 35-40 mins, and it runs all night long (so when the regional closes you can still get home). The 9 going to 4th and Walnut also takes anywhere from 30-40 (stupid traffic on 76!) minutes to get you Downtown depending on what part of Manayunk you live in (the further North, the more time)

I recommend using the regional during the morning rush because 76 is always packed (and the 9 goes down it).

Manayunk also has the Wissahickon Transportation Center. A bus going to Center City generally leaves every 15 minutes.

If you choose to drive you'll have to deal with the traffic on 76.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:23 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,224,881 times
Adding onto that, the Manayunk Norristown lines runs every 30 minutes during rush hour, and every hour mid-day, evenings, and weekends. Unfortunately it comes into Market East Station first, so you're looking at a 30 minute trip from Manayunk or Wissahickon (the station in Roxborough) into 30th Street Station. At this point, you're going to have to look at your schedule. Some Manayunk/Norristown Trains will continue on to University City Station (the closest stop to Penn). Most trains will not stop at University City though, so you will have to get off at 30th and either transfer to another regional rail train to take you to U-City Station or cross the street to transfer to a very brief trolley trip to the heart of Penn's Campus. Coming home you may have an easier time making a direct connection from University City station back home. It's just one of the quirks of our system.

The route 9 bus is the next best option, which runs a little more often, and also stops at 30th street station. As has been pointed out, it takes 76, which can be a huge gamble. I occasionally use the 9 during non-rush hours and transfer in Roxborough, and it is a really quick trip when all is smooth.

As for additional transit information, The 61 does not run all night, but it runs from 5.30 AM to 1 AM. There's no 24 hour bus service in this part of the city that I'm aware of. You also have nearby bus routes 27 and 32 that go to Center City, the route 65 that goes to Germantown, City Avenue, and Upper Darby, as well as the 35, which runs a loop route through the neighborhood.

You tend to get more for your money in Roxborough, and it has a nice little main street, as well as a section further up Ridge avenue with big box stores and grocers. Manayunk has more going on as far as shopping and restaurants, but can also be a lot to handle because of the college kids. Both places are safe.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:13 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times
I live right by the Manayunk train station and it takes me 20-25min to get to Suburban Station if the train is running on schedule so it would definitely be closer to at least 30min to get to 30th St. As explained above, very few of the trains continue on to University City.

I would definitely avoid 76 at all costs.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 11,173 times
Ok, so it seems like it would be a bit of a commute to get there. What would you guys recommend as a good place for us to live? Keeping in mind the criteria listed above. I am also looking into Fairmount/Art Museum, East Falls, and some of west philly, although I am not sure what area would be considered safe, as my sister is not very good in large cities. I was thinking of possibly Powelton Village... Thanks for all your help!

Old 03-02-2014, 12:44 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,039,355 times
Hard to say without knowing where your wife will be working. If you end up living in the city you shouldn't assume she'll need a car to get to work. It seems that your sister's college is accessible by regional rail so she could reverse commute if you lived in the city.

Just because you end up living in a car friendly area doesn't mean your wife will have more job opportunities accessible. Seems that there are 1.6k - 1.7k 2 bedrooms in center city around the regional rail stops..

Old 03-02-2014, 02:07 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,224,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Hard to say without knowing where your wife will be working. If you end up living in the city you shouldn't assume she'll need a car to get to work. It seems that your sister's college is accessible by regional rail so she could reverse commute if you lived in the city.

Just because you end up living in a car friendly area doesn't mean your wife will have more job opportunities accessible. Seems that there are 1.6k - 1.7k 2 bedrooms in center city around the regional rail stops..
On Google Maps, the college doesn't seem very accessible. It's like a 1/2 mile to a mile walk (already stretching it) and there don't really appear to be any sidewalks out there.

To the OP, I think you're probably on the right track as far as a compromise goes, if you can come to terms with a public transit trip that will take *slightly* longer than expected and may require an easy transfer. Philadelphia's a big city, and the places you are looking at are a good 5-10 miles outside of Center City: Roxborough, Manayunk, and East Falls. You may want to consider Chestnut Hill and Mount Airy as well. It'll add a couple miles onto the trip to Eastern University - but if you set yourself up along the Chestnut Hill West line you can be looking at closer to 25 minutes from Mt. Airy to 30th Street, at which point you'd still transfer.

Another option is to just live closer to one persons destination and let the other have a longer commute. West Philly can be a nice place and you can walk to Penn. So is the Main Line. I have no idea what a two bedroom goes for out there, but a town like Ardmore or Wayne is only 20-30 minutes from 30th, and the Paoli/Thorndale line runs great.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:41 AM

3 posts, read 8,710 times
Hope you did well these are foolish answers. I teach at penn near the law school and it is a short walk from 30thst. Or one stop on the subway if it's raining. The train from east falls takes about 15 minutes. 76 is a normal expressway no big deal and from east falls or manayunk you can also take Kelly drive or MLK drive.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:53 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annodomina View Post
Hope you did well these are foolish answers. 76 is a normal expressway no big deal and from east falls or manayunk
What planet do you live on??

Old 02-13-2015, 08:54 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,431,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annodomina View Post
Hope you did well these are foolish answers. I teach at penn near the law school and it is a short walk from 30thst. Or one stop on the subway if it's raining. The train from east falls takes about 15 minutes. 76 is a normal expressway no big deal and from east falls or manayunk you can also take Kelly drive or MLK drive.
Thank you! I was also confused why people would mention taking 76 for someone who lived in Manayunk. Straight shot down Kelly drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia