Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,177 times

Advertisements

Well you could try California it's warm there's construction work all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 11:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallwhitedude View Post
Well you could try California it's warm there's construction work all over the place.
It would cost well over $1,000 in gasoline alone to drive from PA to CA in a truck.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:32 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Nobody has yet mentioned the difficulty of parking. 20+ years ago I was homeless-by-choice for a month, living in my car. Typically I'd park curbside, on city streets, next to signs that specifically allow overnight parking. Several times I was awoken by police knocking on my window. Evidently it's illegal - or just "unacceptable" - to be sleeping in one's car, at night, in a public space. Check the city ordinances.

A better option was private parking lots (but not shopping centers or other retail establishments, most of which ban overnight parking - and it IS strictly enforced). An even better option is highway rest areas - if there's one close by. Otherwise there is the cost of gas, getting to and from.

The OP's tinted windows should help. Keep the truck clean, with no exterior embellishments or evidence that it's used for anything other than transportation. And definitely get a warm sleeping bag; an automotive interior, especially in a large vehicle with lots of windows, will cool down very quickly.

Good luck....

Old 03-02-2014, 11:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Try to find some social services. Check out the Salvation Army - they have programs - or any other leads you can find to get immediate assistance in the form of work and shelter. Try not to get too upset - as hard as that might be. Put one foot in front of the other, pray and keep your head up.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:32 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paguy78 View Post
I appreciate the ideas of homeless shelters but I think I'm going to tough it out in my truck. There are people who really are literally on the streets that need those beds. Plus honestly I wouldn't get a lick of sleep knowing all these strange people are around me. Don't get me wrong if it comes down to that I have no choice. Right now I have a truck that is spacious I'll load the back up with blankets.

Just got to figure where I should go and where to park. In a couple months it wont be an issue because it will be warm. I can stay at camp sites.
I admire your generosity and consideration despite your unfortunate circumstances. Be careful where you park, I imagine these days there may be people that go around preying on people who live in vehicles. You may want to carry some kind of protection with you.

In the meantime you can get some food from the shelter to tide you over. Since you have skills that can earn you some money, use them to build up your savings.

Once you've built up your savings, you may want to consider moving somewhere warmer anyway since you're mobile. There were people who spent the entire late 60's and early 70's living in vans! Having said that, once you're on your feet financially you may find living in a truck isn't that bad. There are some beautiful places out west where the sky seems endless and there's nothing like going to sleep under the stars.. If it wasn't for your financial situation, I might be a little jealous actually! Hold your head up high, you have youth on your side and someday you might look at this as the most carefree days of your life! Good luck!!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:35 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Nobody has yet mentioned the difficulty of parking. 20+ years ago I was homeless-by-choice for a month, living in my car. Typically I'd park curbside, on city streets, next to signs that specifically allow overnight parking. Several times I was awoken by police knocking on my window. Evidently it's illegal - or just "unacceptable" - to be sleeping in one's car, at night, in a public space. Check the city ordinances.

A better option was private parking lots (but not shopping centers or other retail establishments, most of which ban overnight parking - and it IS strictly enforced). An even better option is highway rest areas - if there's one close by. Otherwise there is the cost of gas, getting to and from.

The OP's tinted windows should help. Keep the truck clean, with no exterior embellishments or evidence that it's used for anything other than transportation. And definitely get a warm sleeping bag; an automotive interior, especially in a large vehicle with lots of windows, will cool down very quickly.

Good luck....
That is one concern, 40+ years ago was different. Rest areas might have robbers..

Old 03-03-2014, 12:59 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Why will you have no place to live?

Old 03-03-2014, 01:21 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
I think you need to check out what help you can get from state social services and shelters ASAP. But, if you are determined not to try a shelter, then invest in some thermal underwear and if possible a sleeping bag.

I would also stake out all the 24 hour facilities in as tight a circle as possible so as not to waste gas. It may make more sense to spend a couple hours a place then move on during the night and sleep in the daytime while it is so cold. 24 hr drug stores, groc stores, Laundromats, bars open till 2 or 4, diners, donut shops, movie theaters with late showings, hotel lobbys. Take a newspaper and say you're waiting for someone if anyone questions you, move between the lobby and the restroom, buy a coffee and roll and read a book. The mall is good till 9:30. Early mass at Catholic Churches at 7.

I don't know how much snow youre getting there but if you can get your hands on a shovel, maybe you could pick up some quick cash tomorrow shoveling drives or walks.

I would identify the food banks in your area and/or soup kitchens so you don't have to spend your money on food.

Check the want ads for live in positions and/or live in maintenance type work for apts. Probably harder for a man to find, but if you could help care for someone, sometimes men are desired if a lot of lifting is involved or if the person needing help is male.

If you don't think you have good prospects for benefits from PA or work, I think I would start moving south to a warmer climate.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:57 AM

166 posts, read 278,359 times
I would try and get some benefits if I could. Are you sure you don't have any friends you could crash with? I mean, you WILL have to tell them everything that's going on, but at least they'll help you out a bit. If you don't have any friends all I can really suggest is to find a homeless shelter or church of some kind and live there for a bit. You said you live in Montgomery County, so I did a little googling and found a couple of homeless shelters.

Montgomeryville Homeless Shelters and Services - Montgomeryville PA Homeless Shelters - Montgomeryville Pennsylvania Homeless Shelters

Also, you might want to try and find some employment, I don't know your story, but you obviously had some type of job to be able to live in the suburbs. Try finding one online, even if it's just a minimum wage job at McDonalds, I would just use my old home address when I applied for a job.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:11 AM

154 posts, read 215,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I think you need to check out what help you can get from state social services and shelters ASAP. But, if you are determined not to try a shelter, then invest in some thermal underwear and if possible a sleeping bag.

I would also stake out all the 24 hour facilities in as tight a circle as possible so as not to waste gas. It may make more sense to spend a couple hours a place then move on during the night and sleep in the daytime while it is so cold. 24 hr drug stores, groc stores, Laundromats, bars open till 2 or 4, diners, donut shops, movie theaters with late showings, hotel lobbys. Take a newspaper and say you're waiting for someone if anyone questions you, move between the lobby and the restroom, buy a coffee and roll and read a book. The mall is good till 9:30. Early mass at Catholic Churches at 7.

I don't know how much snow youre getting there but if you can get your hands on a shovel, maybe you could pick up some quick cash tomorrow shoveling drives or walks.

I would identify the food banks in your area and/or soup kitchens so you don't have to spend your money on food.

Check the want ads for live in positions and/or live in maintenance type work for apts. Probably harder for a man to find, but if you could help care for someone, sometimes men are desired if a lot of lifting is involved or if the person needing help is male.

If you don't think you have good prospects for benefits from PA or work, I think I would start moving south to a warmer climate.
Excellent advice. I would like to add that you have the luxury of driving to a "nice" area rather than being homeless in a bad part of town. I was going to add truck stops / rest stops and also I think wal-mart allows overnight sleeping in its parking lots.

I think the OP is going to be okay in the long run. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia