Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,809,294 times

Advertisements

Corbett to travel to Rome to invite the pope to Philly World Meeting of Families - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA -- Philadelphia Archbishop Charles J. Chaput, Mayor Michael A. Nutter, and Gov. Tom Corbett will travel to Rome this month to meet with Pope Francis and invite him to attend an enormous international church gathering set for September 2015 in Philadelphia.

"I hope we'll have a very special visitor," Mr. Corbett said at a news conference this morning before he and Mr. Nutter said they would invite the pope to the World Meeting of Families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 11:53 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,855,351 times
First Corbett is extending Food Stamp benefits for PA residents now he's inviting the Pope to Philly?

Who is this guy? Is he up for re-election this year or something?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:59 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,866,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
First Corbett is extending Food Stamp benefits for PA residents now he's inviting the Pope to Philly?

Yep, he is up for re-election and recent polls indicate his re-election campaign is in big trouble. Some guy from York named Wolf - who noone ever of! - is something like 10 points ahead of Corbett.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:45 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,469,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

Philly was chosen as the site for this event 3 years ago, so don't think it has anything to do with his reelection. in any event, nothing can save him at this point.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:30 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,562,831 times
I can't see this Pope voting for Corbett.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:14 PM

166 posts, read 276,624 times
I don't really pay attention to PA politics, or any for that matter (I stay in my breaking news darn it!), but why do people hate Corbett? The only thing I really heard bad that he was doing was opening more jails even though it was proven we didn't need them as revenue for the state. And also something about a public school budgeting crisis?

Didn't Nutter open up a jail and spend millions or something? A friend of mine said this and I didn't really bother to fact check.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:03 PM

4,762 posts, read 3,258,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criedman101 View Post
I don't really pay attention to PA politics, or any for that matter (I stay in my breaking news darn it!), but why do people hate Corbett? The only thing I really heard bad that he was doing was opening more jails even though it was proven we didn't need them as revenue for the state. And also something about a public school budgeting crisis?

Didn't Nutter open up a jail and spend millions or something? A friend of mine said this and I didn't really bother to fact check.
Myself being a member of the Phila Sports community wants to know why Corbett did very little while he was Attorney General when the complaints starting coming in about Sandusky and Penn State. Corbett was also a board member of the University and most likely knew as much as some of those from the University that were fired due to lack of action.

Last edited by jazzy jeff; 03-10-2014 at 09:14 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 10:18 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,469,796 times
Most of the half million PSU grads (and millions of others) hate him, because first he sat on the case for years as AG for political reasons, then was part of the lynch-mob rush to judgement that gave up paterno as a sacrificial lamb. In the heat of the crisis he showed exactly zero leadership, in his role as a member of the board of trustees and governor of the state. But even before then, the guy was virtually an absentee governor who only seemed to show up when pandering to the energy lobby. I'm usually not one for raising taxes, but why is there no natural gas extraction tax in PA? Also, he made huge cuts to educational funding, which wasn't popular with many people.

The guy should just do the PA Republican Party a favor and disappear gracefully.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,703,059 times
Your tax dollars at work.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 AM

108 posts, read 253,434 times
I would like to see the Pope meet the Amish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia