U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 05:57 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,393,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMovingOnUp View Post
Thanks for the responses so far Manayunk does look promising.

Any thoughts on living in center city? How long would the commute really be?
there is a bus called 99 from norristown to KOP so that is a 5 min train ride to a quick bus ride I've done it before it's quite easy PM me for other trips you may want to take
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 07:29 PM

33,076 posts, read 61,908,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
30th Street(Center City) to Green Lane(Manayunk) is a 5-10 minute commute under normal traffic conditions. Center City to KOP is a very doable commute. Geez its only 15 miles/30 minutes .
Maybe if you're in a helicopter. But not in a car, not at rush hour, and certainly not if you're taking the Schuylkill.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:44 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,774,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Maybe if you're in a helicopter. But not in a car, not at rush hour, and certainly not if you're taking the Schuylkill.
Lol.

"OHIO"girl Ive made the KOP to Center City trip thousands of times and its not a factor unless maybe you are used to commuting in say sleepy Ohio or Lehigh Valley and not a thriving metropilis.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 4,412 times
Thanks again everyone. Will be up next week to try out some commutes and see what it's like for different areas.

Definitely would love to do the center city thing just need to give the commute a try.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Took the Schuylkill this morning on my commute. 9 AM .Admittedly not rush hour.

30th Street to Manayunk(Green lane) 8 minutes including a small bottleneck due to tree trimming at Montgomery.

Total trip 30th Street to KOP(Dekalb+ North Valley Forge Road). 19 minutes. Never hit the brakes once past Montgomery.

Now eastbound was a mess like a 3-4 mile jam I believe due to pot hole repair .

A daily rush hour commute from Center City to KOP I guess could get pretty old especially in winter. It is unbelievable that a metro of close to 7 M people and the main E-W artery is only 2 lanes (each way) squashed between a river and a cliifside.

What I dont really understand though is the notion that Manayunk is this great option saving on the commute. It saves you 5-10 in comparison to Center City.

Its just not enough of a detriment escpecially when OP's headline is "Looking for downtown life style." There is only 1 area that really has a downtown urban lifestyle and thats Center City.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
A daily rush hour commute from Center City to KOP I guess could get pretty old especially in winter.
Any time of the year.

Once a week, for eight years up until last October, I drove from Norristown to 12th and Callowhill, leaving at 8 a.m. On a good day, I'd arrive around 9; the average was more like 9:15. Alternatives to the Schuylkill often were 5 or 10 minutes faster, but sometimes not.

At least I was making that drive only on Fridays; sitting in a car for 120 minutes on a daily basis is any idea of fun for too many people.

Quote:
Its just not enough of a detriment
The OP should know that the commute can be long and frustrating, and that there are available compromises.

The OP should know that the Schuylkill routinely clogs up in both directions, often for no reason, at any time of day or night, and that the highway is a crap shoot at best.

The OP should know that there are good neighborhoods outside of Center City that will help reduce that commute while giving easy access to Center City.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Any time of the year.

On a good day, I'd leave at 8 and arrive around 9; the average was more like 9:15.
Hmm Yet yesterday I made it from 30th Street to KOP in 19 minutes(1/2 hr past rush hr.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81
The OP should know that the commute can be long and frustrating, and that there are available compromises.

The OP should know that the Schuylkill routinely clogs up in both directions, often for no reason, at any time of day or night, and that the highway is a crap shoot at best.

The OP should know that there are good neighborhoods outside of Center City that will help reduce that commute while giving easy access to Center City.
If I remember correctly The OP should also know that you fled Philadelphia for the sticks,. Perhaps you'd be better off giving advisement for people looking into the Saucon Valley.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:20 PM

4 posts, read 4,412 times
Update for anyone interested.. We took all your feedback and looked primarily in Manayunk and Center City and finally decided on a place in Logan Square.

Manayunk didn't really wow us when we spent some time going out there. The feedback we seemed to get from everyone is it's all fresh out of college people and people from the area. Plus there's nowhere near the variety you get in Center City. In the end that's what sold us on CC.

Commute is definitely 45 min- 1 hour which I tested out before hand and was doing before so I was prepared for it. May be worth looking into a combo of driving and public trans if I really want to save on parking however. Plus I will be working from home at least 2 days a week starting soon.

Overall for the quality of life we really love center city after a month now. Much better variety of bars, restaurants, and people. Proximity to all the events and happenings in Philly is amazing and we love being able to walk to anything at anytime within 20 or so minutes. Definitely agree that from what we've seen nothing around here comes close to the density and variety in center city.

All in all for what we want I'm fine doing the commute because once I'm home and on the weekends we never touch the cars.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:26 PM

8,702 posts, read 12,377,954 times
Glad you settled somewhere you really love. Hopefully soon your companies will open Center City satellite offices and then you guys will really be living the dream!

Old 05-12-2014, 10:21 PM

Wow, what a bonus to work from home a couple days a week. Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or