U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 12:16 PM

76 posts, read 171,544 times

Advertisements

If you've been paying attention to the news lately, there has been an alarming increase in drug use/drug related deaths in Delaware County. And I'm not just talking about Chester or Upper Darby. I was wondering what you guys think about this. It's been mentioned that doctors are very lax about prescribing extremely strong painkillers which can lead to an opiate addiction. But, other than that, does anyone have any idea why this "heroin epidemic" is striking Delaware County so harshly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 01:00 PM

4,177 posts, read 9,640,419 times
Cause Philadelphia is one of the major hub for heroin. Kids starts with pescription drugs in the suburb and then find their ways into heroin. It's not just Delaware county. It's happening in the surburb in SJ.

Education is the key to prevention.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:32 PM

40 posts, read 65,543 times
If you ignore the drug problems in poorer/minority neighborhoods like Kensington, its problems like drugs will only spread to burbs eventually and it seems that time is starting right about now

Old 03-09-2014, 09:56 PM

331 posts, read 550,702 times
This is the same all across America. Kids do it because they're bored, depressed, unchallenged, etc. there's nothing special about the. Philly suburbs in this regard.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 AM

50 posts, read 73,910 times
Drug use isn't up. But drug deaths are. It's due to something called fentanyl, a synthetic morphine that is being added to heroin. This is happening all over the country, and not just in Delaware County.

Acetyl Fentanyl Deaths Spread To The Southeast - Forbes

Old 03-10-2014, 12:36 PM

166 posts, read 228,207 times
Really, because everyone I've been talking to complains that it's a huge pain in the neck to get their doctors to prescribe any pills because their scared you'll become addicted.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:11 PM

153 posts, read 262,275 times
I live in Delco and I have noticed that over the past year the Delco media has taken a big interest in the "heroin epidemic". I am NOT saying that the heroin/opiate problem is not real in Delco- remember that big opiate bust at Boeing in September 2011? I have noticed an increase of town hall/sheriff meeting for concerned citizen regarding drugs and more media coverage of teen drug deaths-particularly grieving parent testimonials. This is not a bad thing, in fact it is good that the media is shining a spotlight on this problem.

I do feel that the county is angling for some grant money to help with Delco's drug problem: I believe this is why we have had a deluge of media coverage concerning heroin/opiates.

Charlie Cheesesteak is right about heroin deaths being linked to fentanyl-laced heroin.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:07 PM

I live in WOL, which is right off Cheltenham. Can I tell you how many people used to come strolling down my street and into the drug house that used to be up the street? A LOT, that is. It wasn't until the city started gentrifying my neighborhood when the police finally, after years and years of them strolling past the drug house like it was nothing, did a raid and arrested about 20 people. Now that the neighborhood is changing I'm starting to see more and more people from the suburbs move in....hmm, I wonder why? Maybe it's because they already tons of experience with this neighborhood so they feel more comfortable in it? LOL. Ugh, now their kids blast rap music and walk around smoking weed . It's not like the youth here weren't already doing that, it's just annoying to have more people come and do that.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:30 PM

50 posts, read 73,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criedman101 View Post
I live in WOL, which is right off Cheltenham. Can I tell you how many people used to come strolling down my street and into the drug house that used to be up the street? A LOT, that is. It wasn't until the city started gentrifying my neighborhood when the police finally, after years and years of them strolling past the drug house like it was nothing, did a raid and arrested about 20 people. Now that the neighborhood is changing I'm starting to see more and more people from the suburbs move in....hmm, I wonder why? Maybe it's because they already tons of experience with this neighborhood so they feel more comfortable in it? LOL. Ugh, now their kids blast rap music and walk around smoking weed . It's not like the youth here weren't already doing that, it's just annoying to have more people come and do that.
people from the suburbs are moving to west oak lane?

Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Cheesesteak View Post
people from the suburbs are moving to west oak lane?
Yep, very slowly because of the "gentrification" process. Crime has actually been going down a lot, people are getting fed up with all the crap and are moving out. People are selling houses for like $250,000 and sometimes even $300,000 on my street now. I'm starting to see a lot more Asians/Hispanics/white people. However, once you leave the little "pocket" I live in...you get what used to be here (and it AIN'T good at all).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia