U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 12:53 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,486,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Who is subsidizing McDonalds? It's a free country - if people think that they are worth more than minimum wage, then go get a job that pays more and prove it. Or get some skills that increase the value of your labor. You want to decrease corporate profits and decrease private sector employment, thereby decreasing tax revenue. Then increase spending in order to make up for the jobs you just destroyed in the private sector?? Sounds like a "great" liberal idea!!!! I'm sure all the liberals will be happy paying $10 for a Big Mac in this great new world too.
Who is subsidizing McDonalds? You are. I am. Everyone is. What don't you get?

Every year American taxpayers pay McDonalds employees over a billion dollars in public subsidies so that they can afford food, clothing, and shelter for themselves and their families.

These are gainfully employed individuals who work for a company that makes billions of dollars of profits every single quarter and have a ceo that is paid millions of dollars a year. You're telling me that you don't think they should be forced to pay their employees enough money to afford the basic necessities of life? You think that instead American taxpayers should have to foot that bill?

These people work for a living, they're not animals, as I said a third of them are college educated, a third of them have children. What is the possible negative side affect of paying these people enough money to support themselves?

I also never said to increase spending. If McDonalds and other companies paid a livable wage to their employees then all of those employees would no longer be eligible for food stamps and other benefits. As tax payers, our spending on entitlement programs would decrease dramatically. We then turn around and take all that money we saved and invest it public works programs so that our bridges don't crumble, so we have good public transit, so rebuilding highways doesn't take 3 decades.

It actually is a great liberal idea. Thank you. And like most liberal ideas... and decidedly unlike most conservative ideas, it is based on sound data,professional analysis, and reasoned thought.

And to your final point. I would not be happy paying for $10 for a Big Mac. But then again I wouldn't be happy paying $1 for a big mac. You couldn't pay me to eat a Big Mac. But of course if $15 was the new minimum wage it wouldn't just increase the prices of bad hamburgers, it would increase the price of many items and foods and I would happily pay that increase if it meant workers received a living wage.

You see I understand that we're much better off living in a society in which people have an actual incentive to work and those that do are paid a minimum wage in which they can live on and maintain their dignity. To me that's more important than subsidizing the cost of hamburgers.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Why the hell should someone who is making minimum wage at KFC suddenly be making more an hour than someone who has a higher education and more job skills??????
Do you not understand the basic concept of a minimum wage? Everyone's wages would increase. These fast food workers are fighting for their rights, but overall they want everyone to have a minimum wage. So KFC workers would not be making suddenly more than anyone. They'd be working minimum wage which no one could be paid less than. Some people with a better education and more job skills would suddenly be making as much or barely more than someone who works at KFC, but the market will normalize eventually and those that are worth more will be paid more money. In the long run everyone's salary increases except for those at the top and investors lose out.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:04 AM

1,846 posts, read 1,738,930 times
Screw that! I worked hard to get my degree and I work very hard to get paid what I do. What have these people done for themselves to progress forward? Minimum wage is fine where it is right now, asking for 15 dollars an hour is insane and it troubles me to see that some in this thread thing it is a good idea. I am not going to pay more money at the register just because these people who feel entitled want to raise minimum wage.

I don't know why people also seem to think that corporations should be sharing their profits with their employees. If you don't like capitalism then get out!

Old 03-10-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Screw that! I worked hard to get my degree and I work very hard to get paid what I do. What have these people done for themselves to progress forward? Minimum wage is fine where it is right now, asking for 15 dollars an hour is insane and it troubles me to see that some in this thread thing it is a good idea. I am not going to pay more money at the register just because these people who feel entitled want to raise minimum wage.

I don't know why people also seem to think that corporations should be sharing their profits with their employees. If you don't like capitalism then get out!
Nope. Sorry. I think corporations should share their profits with their employees and I'm not going anywhere. You're going to have to deal with the fact that people in this country disagree with you.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:42 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
^Amen Phillies!

Why do we let International Corporations suck on the teet of American taxpayers while condemning the American working poor?

People complain about welfare spending on poor Americans but don't stop to think about the fact that the wealthiest family in this country and one of the most powerful corporations in the World employ by far the largest share of welfare recipients of any business. WalMart schedules hours and actively teaches their employees how to apply and become eligible for Government benefits all while avoiding paying their own taxes at all costs necessary. Most of these Corporations also rely on near slave labor across the Globe while corporate profits have never been higher.

To some mega-rich wannabees they think of this as a "good business model", while not understanding that Multi-National Corporations are undermining the strength of this country and their own fellow citizens. Consumer spending CONSTITUTES 70% OF OUR ECONOMY. You people are not one of the 85 that own as much as the poorest bottom half of the World population. You are most likely not in the 1% of the population where 95% of all wealth created since 2009 has gone, while 90% of Americans have gotten poorer. If 90% of Americans are getting poorer than that obviously has a huge negative impact on our economy as a whole.

People need to band together and stop falling for lies, propaganda and divisive tactics from a group of people that could barely fill a room and do not care in the slightest about the future of our nation.

If the minimum wage kept with the pace of inflation since the 1970's it should be about $11.50 per Hour. I say shoot for $15.

Americans need to take back control of their Government and their financial system from the Globalists.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 03-10-2014 at 11:58 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 11:57 AM

166 posts, read 228,207 times
Increasing the minimum wage is a really bad idea because most companies will become more selective about who they hire. If I was running a company and I was paying someone $15 an hour I would go for the person with way more experience, not some young teenager that's bound to act stupid. What raising the minimum wage does is help out the older and more experienced workers, and basically hurts anyone else trying to enter an industry. I think $15 is too much, maybe we should raise it to $12 an hour. $15 is just being greedy, these jobs are meant to be part-time jobs or something to help lift you off your feet. Not meant to have for 10+ years.

The only good side I could see is that people with a whole bunch of experience would be able to get jobs at lower places (like a high class chef at McDoanlds, etc..).

Last edited by criedman101; 03-10-2014 at 12:08 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 12:01 PM

36 posts, read 88,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
Tautological thinking: the minumum wage will only increase if citizens demand it. If nobody's stirring the pot, then there's no demand.
But it has been gradually increasing:

PA Minimum wage dating back to 1990:

1990 - 3.35
1991 - 3.80
1992 - 4.25
1997 - 4.75
1998 - 5.15
2007 - 6.25
2009 - 7.15
2010 - 7.25

15 just seems like a huge leap..... I'm thinking a dollar or two increase is more likely and honestly more reasonable.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Nope. Sorry. I think corporations should share their profits with their employees and I'm not going anywhere. You're going to have to deal with the fact that people in this country disagree with you.
That's the thing. This is a free market economy. I can pay my employees whatever I WANT to pay them, so long as it meets the minimum federal requirement. If YOU don't like it, then either a) don't work for me, or b) go protest and have the law changed.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
As I said earlier a lot of these companies make billions of dollars in profit. Of course they say they can't afford to raise the minimum wage. The question is who would be foolish enough to believe them?

Sure some companies legitimately couldn't afford it,and they'll go out of business. Fine by me, if your business model relies on taking advantage of a workforce and not paying them a fair wage then you don't have a business worth saving.

All job losses in the private sector could be offset and then some by increases in public works. The infrastructure in this country is abysmal. If we stop subsidizing corporations like McDonald's we could use that money to pay people to help make this country a better place.
They can afford to raise their wages, but then it would cut their workforce because the managers at their establishments would be way more selective about who they hire. So then you basically lock the industry so only people who have a lot of experience can get a job. It's not that corporate can't afford it, it's that the stores themselves can't handle it. Now people that this industry is targeted at can't get a job. You can raise the minimum wage all you want, but remember that the more you do, the less people said retail stores are actually going to employ.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:42 PM

318 posts, read 506,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Any increase in the minimum wage will result in fewer jobs. That's just simple supply-and-demand. The congressional Budget office estimated that an increase to $10 an hr would cost half a million jobs. An increase to $15 an hour would be catastrophic to the very people out there protesting, because their jobs wouldn't exist. You can't just legislate your ideal version of the world.

^^^This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia