U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 04:00 PM

318 posts, read 506,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Who is subsidizing McDonalds? You are. I am. Everyone is. What don't you get?

Every year American taxpayers pay McDonalds employees over a billion dollars in public subsidies so that they can afford food, clothing, and shelter for themselves and their families.

These are gainfully employed individuals who work for a company that makes billions of dollars of profits every single quarter and have a ceo that is paid millions of dollars a year. You're telling me that you don't think they should be forced to pay their employees enough money to afford the basic necessities of life? You think that instead American taxpayers should have to foot that bill?

These people work for a living, they're not animals, as I said a third of them are college educated, a third of them have children. What is the possible negative side affect of paying these people enough money to support themselves?

I also never said to increase spending. If McDonalds and other companies paid a livable wage to their employees then all of those employees would no longer be eligible for food stamps and other benefits. As tax payers, our spending on entitlement programs would decrease dramatically. We then turn around and take all that money we saved and invest it public works programs so that our bridges don't crumble, so we have good public transit, so rebuilding highways doesn't take 3 decades.

It actually is a great liberal idea. Thank you. And like most liberal ideas... and decidedly unlike most conservative ideas, it is based on sound data,professional analysis, and reasoned thought.

And to your final point. I would not be happy paying for $10 for a Big Mac. But then again I wouldn't be happy paying $1 for a big mac. You couldn't pay me to eat a Big Mac. But of course if $15 was the new minimum wage it wouldn't just increase the prices of bad hamburgers, it would increase the price of many items and foods and I would happily pay that increase if it meant workers received a living wage.

You see I understand that we're much better off living in a society in which people have an actual incentive to work and those that do are paid a minimum wage in which they can live on and maintain their dignity. To me that's more important than subsidizing the cost of hamburgers.
Wow. Really? What an elitist attitude you have.

And you're wrong to boot. If they jack the min wage up to $15, McDonald's would simply not higher as many people, or more likely raise prices to protect their profit margin which would in turn mean less people buying their product. Yea, like I want to pay double what I'm paying now for say a Happy Meal because it would give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside. As someone said earlier, that burger flipping job was not meant to be for a career.

You can't give someone an incentive to work by giving someone something for nothing in return. This culture of entitlements needs to end.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:04 PM

2,856 posts, read 2,066,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dab13 View Post
But it has been gradually increasing:

PA Minimum wage dating back to 1990:

1990 - 3.35
1991 - 3.80
1992 - 4.25
1997 - 4.75
1998 - 5.15
2007 - 6.25
2009 - 7.15
2010 - 7.25

15 just seems like a huge leap..... I'm thinking a dollar or two increase is more likely and honestly more reasonable.
Yes, a 100 percent increase is definitely un-reasonable. But a small increase, adjusted for inflation would be warranted. I am curious though are there many "full-time" jobs that only pay minumum wage? At least in the Philly area?

Old 03-10-2014, 06:21 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,606 posts, read 51,790,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dab13 View Post
But it has been gradually increasing:

PA Minimum wage dating back to 1990:

1990 - 3.35
1991 - 3.80
1992 - 4.25
1997 - 4.75
1998 - 5.15
2007 - 6.25
2009 - 7.15
2010 - 7.25

15 just seems like a huge leap..... I'm thinking a dollar or two increase is more likely and honestly more reasonable.

Even stupid Obama said $10 and I think he is the biggest idiot in the world but atleast 10 sounds a lot better

Old 03-10-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Yes, a 100 percent increase is definitely un-reasonable. But a small increase, adjusted for inflation would be warranted. I am curious though are there many "full-time" jobs that only pay minumum wage? At least in the Philly area?

There are no minimum wage jobs offering 40 hours in Philadelphia

Old 03-10-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgelessStranger View Post
Wow. Really? What an elitist attitude you have.

And you're wrong to boot. If they jack the min wage up to $15, McDonald's would simply not higher as many people, or more likely raise prices to protect their profit margin which would in turn mean less people buying their product. Yea, like I want to pay double what I'm paying now for say a Happy Meal because it would give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside. As someone said earlier, that burger flipping job was not meant to be for a career.

You can't give someone an incentive to work by giving someone something for nothing in return. This culture of entitlements needs to end.

I already pay $10 when I go there for dinner sometimes so I guess I will be paying $16 for dinner if the minimum wage was $15 an hour lol

Old 03-10-2014, 07:23 PM

364 posts, read 619,744 times
Quote:
Sure, why not? My cousin, due to his own fault, I admit, works 39-40 hours a week at Walmart for minimum wage.

I like to go to dinner with him sometimes. The possibility of a 10 cent raise gets him excited. I make 10 cents when I pick my nose. He could never afford a $40 meal at Applebee's. I sometimes spend that much on take out. It helps put life into perspective.

I worked my ass off and have a natural skill at software development; consequently I have no problem making right under 6 figures at age 24. My cousin is almost 30 and can barely afford to share a shabby apartment in a rough part of Delco.

Yes, he made plenty of mistakes. He went to "school" for computer animation (never paid the federal-backed tuition, so now you're paying for him). He had a kid and wasted his spending money on pimping a crappy 90s Chevy. He continues to make bad decisions by dating a 21 year old, and now he's doing light drugs. He's a total **** up, and he's got no "bootstraps" with which to elevate himself.

The difference between me and you is that I think he should still be rewarded with a wage allowing him to provide child support and safe housing -- and maybe he'll have enough under a mattress to attend community college one day. But he's going to continue working 40 hours at $7.50/hr, and you're going to continue to pay for his bad decisions.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:54 PM

2,856 posts, read 2,066,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
Sure, why not? My cousin, due to his own fault, I admit, works 39-40 hours a week at Walmart for minimum wage.

I like to go to dinner with him sometimes. The possibility of a 10 cent raise gets him excited. I make 10 cents when I pick my nose. He could never afford a $40 meal at Applebee's. I sometimes spend that much on take out. It helps put life into perspective.

I worked my ass off and have a natural skill at software development; consequently I have no problem making right under 6 figures at age 24. My cousin is almost 30 and can barely afford to share a shabby apartment in a rough part of Delco.

Yes, he made plenty of mistakes. He went to "school" for computer animation (never paid the federal-backed tuition, so now you're paying for him). He had a kid and wasted his spending money on pimping a crappy 90s Chevy. He continues to make bad decisions by dating a 21 year old, and now he's doing light drugs. He's a total **** up, and he's got no "bootstraps" with which to elevate himself.

The difference between me and you is that I think he should still be rewarded with a wage allowing him to provide child support and safe housing -- and maybe he'll have enough under a mattress to attend community college one day. But he's going to continue working 40 hours at $7.50/hr, and you're going to continue to pay for his bad decisions.
I am not necessarily disagreeing with you? I simply posed a question that I did not no the answer to. I was under the impression that Walmart workers that were classified as Full-Time were making more then minimum wage. I have always been under the impression that Retail and Fast Food is mostly made up of part-time workers with a very limited "Full-Time" staff.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post

Just because minimum wage is there doesn't mean you have to settle for it

Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I am not necessarily disagreeing with you? I simply posed a question that I did not no the answer to. I was under the impression that Walmart workers that were classified as Full-Time were making more then minimum wage. I have always been under the impression that Retail and Fast Food is mostly made up of part-time workers with a very limited "Full-Time" staff.

I never heard of anyone working 40 hours making minimum wage

Old 03-10-2014, 08:16 PM

364 posts, read 619,744 times
Quote:
Sorry, I meant "you" as a generic, plural noun. Not you specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Just because minimum wage is there doesn't mean you have to settle for it
Just because the police lock you up in jail and only offer you brussel sprouts doesn't mean you have to settle for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
I never heard of anyone working 40 hours making minimum wage
Well now you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia