U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 PM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Reputation: 2738

Advertisements

Personally, I think the $15/hour idea is just a starting point in negotiation tactics. Eventually, I feel that the minimum wage will rise to at least $10/hour.

I believe it is true that our tax dollars are supplementing healthcare and living expenses the preponderance of adults of various ages and education levels who may find themselves working at a place like CVS* where they may well be working full-time (or the possibly the equivalent when cobbling together two or more part-time jobs) yet be earning below the poverty level. With the onset of the ACA and the possibility of an increased minimum wage, companies like CVS* will begin to shoulder more of that responsibility. As someone on this thread suggested, it's not like most companies aren't already operating "lean and mean" as it is, so the likelihood of jobs being shed to make up for wage increases will be minimal IMO.

*I have no idea what CVS entry-level positions pay in the Philadelphia area; I'm just using them as an example tenuously related to the original post.

 
Old 03-10-2014, 08:25 PM
 
180 posts, read 506,937 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by dab13 View Post
But it has been gradually increasing:

PA Minimum wage dating back to 1990:

1990 - 3.35
1991 - 3.80
1992 - 4.25
1997 - 4.75
1998 - 5.15
2007 - 6.25
2009 - 7.15
2010 - 7.25


15 just seems like a huge leap..... I'm thinking a dollar or two increase is more likely and honestly more reasonable.
You need to correct for inflation. $1 does not equal $1 throughout time.



Because the minimum wage does not keep pace with inflation the REAL value of the minimum wage is much lower than it should be. In 1990, $3.35 is the same as $5.74 in 2010. That's not a big change compared to 2010's 7.25.

We have to increase the minimum wage, and tie it to inflation. Otherwise, everyone's wages will decrease in value over time, while at the same time data shows we are all far more productive than the past.

The fact of the matter is, many large employers don't pay a livable wage ... we taxpayers have to pick up the slack for deadbeat corporations. Raising the minimum wage could allow us to reduce spending on welfare programs and tax rebates. In my opinion, it's a less bureaucratic and more efficient. Plus, corporations will have to pay the full cost of their employees rather relying on the rest of us.
 
Old 03-10-2014, 08:26 PM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Reputation: 2738
Let's make a deal!

If we can continue the (mostly) civil tone in this thread, the lack of direct relevance to Philadelphia will be overlooked. Being mindful of the Terms of Service will minimize infractions and maximize the life of this thread.
 
Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 PM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgelessStranger View Post
Wow. Really? What an elitist attitude you have.

And you're wrong to boot. If they jack the min wage up to $15, McDonald's would simply not higher as many people, or more likely raise prices to protect their profit margin which would in turn mean less people buying their product. Yea, like I want to pay double what I'm paying now for say a Happy Meal because it would give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside. As someone said earlier, that burger flipping job was not meant to be for a career.

You can't give someone an incentive to work by giving someone something for nothing in return. This culture of entitlements needs to end.
While I don't have a specific article to reference, I have read many that predict a minimal increase in price - perhaps no more (but probably far less) than a dollar on a typical value meal - should the minimum wage be raised to $10-11. If you've got a family of six, that could be a pain. Otherwise, most individuals could absorb that. It's possible that McDonald's could automate their system even more...but even then that could only go so far.
 
Old 03-11-2014, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
166 posts, read 228,207 times
Reputation: 64
Oh lord, now there's a big fight here. Can't we all just get along?
 
Old 03-11-2014, 10:53 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,606 posts, read 51,790,193 times
Reputation: 9451
15.00 an hour for someone with kids is still nothing.
 
Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Alaska
2,934 posts, read 2,685,509 times
Reputation: 4907
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
So do the people who make 9 to 13 dollars an hour get an increase too? Why should they get a $8 an increase while all the other people's pay stay the same?
First, you really need to read all of Philly's response.

Second, if you don't understand what he/she is saying or have questions, then ask. Philly seems to be pretty patient and willing to elaborate as necessary.

Third, the short answer to the boldfaced question is yes. A rising tide lifts all boats so given time the salary of those who make more will also rise, eventually.
 
Old 03-11-2014, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Alaska
2,934 posts, read 2,685,509 times
Reputation: 4907
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Fast foods jobs were never meant to be the type of job to provide a livable wage
Yeah, so you keep stating. However, it doesn't change the fact that many people rely on these jobs for their livelihood and the corporations that hire these workers make BILLIONS from the fruits of their labor. The only fair and ethical thing is to pay these employees a true living wage.

Stop the greed and fulfill the need.
 
Old 03-11-2014, 11:38 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,606 posts, read 51,790,193 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Yeah, so you keep stating. However, it doesn't change the fact that many people rely on these jobs for their livelihood and the corporations that hire these workers make BILLIONS from the fruits of their labor. The only fair and ethical thing is to pay these employees a true living wage.

Stop the greed and fulfill the need.
Not many jobs offer a wage that someone can live on in 2014 so its not just fast food and retail
 
Old 03-11-2014, 12:15 PM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times
Reputation: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Not many jobs offer a wage that someone can live on in 2014 so its not just fast food and retail
So...it's a big problem? Sounds like something that someone might protest about...

Last edited by rotodome; 03-11-2014 at 01:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top