Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 12:11 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Any increase in the minimum wage will result in fewer jobs. That's just simple supply-and-demand. The congressional Budget office estimated that an increase to $10 an hr would cost half a million jobs. An increase to $15 an hour would be catastrophic to the very people out there protesting, because their jobs wouldn't exist. You can't just legislate your ideal version of the world.

And if it was $15 an hour companies would only offer 8-10 hours a week so nothing would be accomplished

Old 03-09-2014, 08:56 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
And if it was $15 an hour companies would only offer 8-10 hours a week so nothing would be accomplished
Most companies that depend on minimum wage workers would either offshore those jobs, if they can, or go out of business if they can't (ie. retail)

Old 03-09-2014, 09:10 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Most companies that depend on minimum wage workers would either offshore those jobs, if they can, or go out of business if they can't (ie. retail)
As I said earlier a lot of these companies make billions of dollars in profit. Of course they say they can't afford to raise the minimum wage. The question is who would be foolish enough to believe them?

Sure some companies legitimately couldn't afford it,and they'll go out of business. Fine by me, if your business model relies on taking advantage of a workforce and not paying them a fair wage then you don't have a business worth saving.

All job losses in the private sector could be offset and then some by increases in public works. The infrastructure in this country is abysmal. If we stop subsidizing corporations like McDonald's we could use that money to pay people to help make this country a better place.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:16 AM

434 posts, read 1,313,138 times
Quote:
The three largest employers of minimum wage workers are Wal‐Mart, Yum! (KFC, Taco Bell & Pizza Hut) and McDonalds. Even in the past few "recession" years these employers have had huge increases in profits and continue to pay their executives exorbitant salaries. Certainly they can pay their workers more without having to close or (somehow) offshoring.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
The three largest employers of minimum wage workers are Wal‐Mart, Yum! (KFC, Taco Bell & Pizza Hut) and McDonalds. Even in the past few "recession" years these employers have had huge increases in profits and continue to pay their executives exorbitant salaries. Certainly they can pay their workers more without having to close or (somehow) offshoring.

Why the hell should someone who is making minimum wage at KFC suddenly be making more an hour than someone who has a higher education and more job skills??????

Old 03-09-2014, 03:36 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I would be happy if I got just another $1.50 per hour raise.

Here's an idea that just popped into my head ... so I realize it might be crazy and/or unconstitutional and/or unworkable - it's just an idea: instead of raising the minimum wage even a penny, why not require employers to give their employees whether full time or part time a 10% raise after they have completed one year employment with that employer. Exceptions can be made: if the employee earns tips or gratuities they are not eligible, if the employer can document the employee is unproductive or has been tardy or absent more than just a few times, his been "written up" for poor work performance; or if the employer can document a hardship or a decrease in business and profits.

I say full and part time employees because that will eliminate employees having their hours cut.

If the employee did a satisfactory job for a full calender year I can't imagine the employer sacking that person for a mere 10% raise. If the employer terminated that person, he/she would probably will have to advertise, hire, and train a new person ... an contribute to the terminated employee's unemployment compensation.

Any minimum wage employee who started last year at $7.25 an hour will be at least a little better off making $8 an hour now, after a year. Not a great improvement, but it helps a little. Many folks are making more than the bottom minimum wage - I mean people like hotel housekeepers, car rental agents, security guards, retail inventory control clerks and the like - who earn $11 - $15 an hour: wouldn't it be an improvement see an extra $45 to $60 a week in their paycheck?

Old 03-09-2014, 03:42 PM

Fast foods jobs were never meant to be the type of job to provide a livable wage

Old 03-09-2014, 04:17 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
As I said earlier a lot of these companies make billions of dollars in profit. Of course they say they can't afford to raise the minimum wage. The question is who would be foolish enough to believe them?

Sure some companies legitimately couldn't afford it,and they'll go out of business. Fine by me, if your business model relies on taking advantage of a workforce and not paying them a fair wage then you don't have a business worth saving.

All job losses in the private sector could be offset and then some by increases in public works. The infrastructure in this country is abysmal. If we stop subsidizing corporations like McDonald's we could use that money to pay people to help make this country a better place.
Who is subsidizing McDonalds? It's a free country - if people think that they are worth more than minimum wage, then go get a job that pays more and prove it. Or get some skills that increase the value of your labor. You want to decrease corporate profits and decrease private sector employment, thereby decreasing tax revenue. Then increase spending in order to make up for the jobs you just destroyed in the private sector?? Sounds like a "great" liberal idea!!!! I'm sure all the liberals will be happy paying $10 for a Big Mac in this great new world too.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Who is subsidizing McDonalds? It's a free country - if people think that they are worth more than minimum wage, then go get a job that pays more and prove it. Or get some skills that increase the value of your labor. You want to decrease corporate profits and decrease private sector employment, thereby decreasing tax revenue. Then increase spending in order to make up for the jobs you just destroyed in the private sector?? Sounds like a "great" liberal idea!!!! I'm sure all the liberals will be happy paying $10 for a Big Mac in this great new world too.

Thank you Just because a minimum wage job exists doesn't mean you have to apply to it. It was a time I had no income and needed a job to stay so I could pay the rent and didn't go anywhere near a minimum wage job because I know I would not be able to live off of that type of salary.

Accepting a crappy job just so you can appear active has always been the dumbest thing anyone could do

Old 03-09-2014, 05:03 PM

364 posts, read 732,881 times
Yes, because all Americans can be software developers and accountants. Especially those who support three kids and have no car to get to community college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia