U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:46 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,696,815 times

Advertisements

So infact we're all hipsters for living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 01:12 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,282,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
Philadelphia as a whole is pretty hipster no matter where you are because:

1. It's incredibly bikeable. Seriously, this city is by far the most bikeable city on the East Coast.
2. The cost of living is much cheaper than NYC. You can actually live off your art here (or if you're more of a scenester, your barista/bartending job)
3. There's a lot of vibrant culture here. Fun fact: hipsters here love to say "jawn"
4. Philadelphia is not "mainstream" like Williamsburg or Portland.
5. It's got that "postindustrial look" that hipsters seem to love, with ample displays of murals and graffiti. Plus there's a lot of charming rowhomes here (also kind of like Brooklyn).
Excellent points! I say, "Keep the hipsters coming!"

Old 03-23-2014, 03:50 PM

2,856 posts, read 2,068,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
Philadelphia as a whole is pretty hipster no matter where you are because:

1. It's incredibly bikeable. Seriously, this city is by far the most bikeable city on the East Coast.
2. The cost of living is much cheaper than NYC. You can actually live off your art here (or if you're more of a scenester, your barista/bartending job)
3. There's a lot of vibrant culture here. Fun fact: hipsters here love to say "jawn"
4. Philadelphia is not "mainstream" like Williamsburg or Portland.
5. It's got that "postindustrial look" that hipsters seem to love, with ample displays of murals and graffiti. Plus there's a lot of charming rowhomes here (also kind of like Brooklyn).
I once read that Philly was the number one city in the nation for tipping of bartenders. However some of the bartenders I know are complaining with the current price of drinks (especially bars frequented by a younger crowd) the tips are not as good as they use to be.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I once read that Philly was the number one city in the nation for tipping of bartenders. However some of the bartenders I know are complaining with the current price of drinks (especially bars frequented by a younger crowd) the tips are not as good as they use to be.
Drink prices downtown are ridiculous ... you gotta pick your spots.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:33 PM

7,476 posts, read 10,242,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Drink prices downtown are ridiculous ... you gotta pick your spots.
I'll take this time to rep Locust Rendezvous. Affordable drinks in general, and there's always some crazy $2 or $3 shot special you can't help but take a chance on (like "imitation fireball" vodka). My friends and I sometimes play Shotszee there (it's exactly what it sounds like ).

Old 03-23-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I'll take this time to rep Locust Rendezvous. Affordable drinks in general, and there's always some crazy $2 or $3 shot special you can't help but take a chance on (like "imitation fireball" vodka). My friends and I sometimes play Shotszee there (it's exactly what it sounds like ).
$3 bottles of Coors Original @Drinkers, $3 bottles of the High Life @Kellianne's and $2 bottle of the HL @the Boyler Room. I miss Mako's ... Irish Times has pints of Guinness for $3.25 on Wednesdays.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:13 PM

182 posts, read 311,460 times
I remember hearing a story about how South St. used to be the coolest place in Philly where all of the alternative people would hang out, and then it was gentrified and it became more commercialized or something?

Didn't South St. used to be dangerous at one point?

Old 03-23-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatdoesthefoxsay65 View Post
I remember hearing a story about how South St. used to be the coolest place in Philly where all of the alternative people would hang out, and then it was gentrified and it became more commercialized or something?

Didn't South St. used to be dangerous at one point?
Per my mother's memories, South St. in the '70s and '80s was like Manayunk today. It's probably taken an overall turn for the seedier as other hip neighborhoods have taken off, but it's still overall a safe area with positive things to offer.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:57 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,880,424 times
South St in the 70's & 80's was definitely cooler than Manayunk today.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
South St in the 70's & 80's was definitely cooler than Manayunk today.
Guess my Mom thought Manayunk was cooler than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia