U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 07:26 AM

7,191 posts, read 8,874,895 times

Advertisements

Before I moved to NC for a job transfer I lived about 20 yrs outside of Philly. Now I'm a retired single lady and contemplating moving to a small townhouse in a nice part of the city. Problem is, I have two dogs. How do people deal with having dogs in town? Are there places to "walk" the dogs for them to poop? Do people get up in the morning, get fully dressed, then take their dogs to these places? Or, do some townhouses have tiny yards that are connected so you can let the dogs out alone?

Another thing is, what do you do if the steps are horribly icy, so that walking is dangerous? If you are an older person (60's) and if you have moved from a farm or suburb to the city, how do you deal with the everyday challenges of dog ownership? Giving up the dogs is of course not an option, although there will probably not be new dogs in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:48 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,379,892 times
We have one dog. We walk her every morning and evening and night. Dog walker takes care of a mid-day walk from time to time. Took her a few weeks to get used to going in the city vs her yard.
Wish we had a large patio or something but no such luck.

Once you get used to it, it is not a huge deal. During the winter it sucks especially since most people don't seem to know what a shovel is for days after a storm but otherwise it is just part of the daily routine.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:06 AM

2,856 posts, read 2,066,559 times
I have a small dog in center city. It's a few blocks to get to any kind of grassy area, but he has no problem doing his business on the sidewalk if need be. Small dog, small turds so I carry plastic sandwich bags. Goes out 3 times a day, usually only does craps once or twice a day. Now my neighbor has a miniature poodle and she trained the dog to wet in the bath tub. That I find a little repulsive. She uses the pads for poop.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 AM

512 posts, read 876,768 times
I have a dog in Center City and its been relatively easy. Try to live near one of the two dog parks downtown (Schuylkill River or Seger Park). Dog walkers are also less expensive than in the suburbs with prices starting at $12. There is also dog daycare in the city as well.

People in the city i find shovel their sidewalks more than people in the burbs for obvious reasons. I was surprised how fast my large dog adapted to life in the city.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 AM

7,191 posts, read 8,874,895 times
Great info, C-Ders. Being by a dog park would be a good idea, no doubt. What about being near a big park, like Fairmont? Would that be a plus? How about dog walking etiquette. Do you walk with dogs to the streetside, or do you pass left to left as pedestrians usually do. Would two dogs be too many? One is small and one is middle-sized. My bigger dog is a sight hound--likes to run rather than play. Would that work in a dog park setting? You can see my urban experience is just about nil.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:55 AM

512 posts, read 876,768 times
Dog parks are great. I would not take my dog off lease in a non dog park. Its not as good as a dog park. There are usually a couple of dogs that like to play chase at the dog park. There r also dogs to like to play catch and other who wrestle. The important thing is to keep your eye on your dog at all times to avoid fights. Both downtown parks are pretty large so your dog will have enough room to run around.

I try to walk my dog on the curb side. I think you just gotta pick a side and be consistent. People are pretty understanding. There are not many dogs in CC and i bet most people find them as a nice curiosity, as long as they look friendly.

I dont think two dogs will be too many especially if one is small. Are you able to take them both for walks now? It should not be too different.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:55 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,851,982 times
You may want to look at Queen Village. It's immediately south of Center City between Front and Sixth with an easy walk to CC. There is a dog park at 3rd and Queen.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:56 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,966,735 times
Most townhomes will have some sort of space behind them. When I lived in one, we had a small patio that was surrounded by a brick wall. But it was good enough for the dog to go outside and do its business. There are also various synthetic grass products that are designed for that sort of thing. We lived near a dog park in Washington Square West, but I liked the one along the Schulkyll better - was larger and had seperate areas for big and small dogs. Of course, you will need to make sure that your dog is comfortable around other dogs.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:03 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,802,257 times
I live in a rowhome in Manayunk and have a small fenced in backyard. I have 3 small dogs, so it's perfect for them. I'm also a few blocks from Pretzel Park which has a dog park area as well. I try to take them over there at least once a week so that they can run around some more. Other than that, the backyard is sufficient for us. My dogs are also all sight hounds and they do fine in the dog park - they can usually get the other dogs to run/chase them, which is what they love

Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 AM

268 posts, read 314,072 times
Great question!

We're dog owners and we're also planning a move to Philly, but our dog is medium-sized and over 10 years old, so we're actually letting her finish out her time here in the only home she's known. We can't see uprooting a senior dog that's used to a rural area with over two acres to roam and putting her in an apartment/townhouse in a large city.

We do, however, plan to get another dog once we're settled. That one will be much more city-friendly, a small dog, that's for sure. Knowing about the dog parks is good, glad that was addressed.

We were there last year, in the autumn, and we walked from our hotel in Washington Square West over to City Tavern, and we had time to kill, so we just walked up and down some of the streets and also sat on some of the benches here and there. As it was early evening, we both commented on the number of people we saw walking dogs (we're dog people, so we always notice that). My guess is that they had just gotten off work and were doing their evening walks with their critters. It gave the impression of being pretty dog-friendly, so that was a plus for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia