Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 898 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Philadelphia to attend Temple for medical school, and as I am from out of state and unfamiliar with the area, was wondering if anyone could provide any advice as far as housing. Some information about me/what I am looking for:

-White female, 20s, no kids (may bring a small dog, but not sure yet)
-Went to a very rural state school for undergrad, so no experience living in a big city
-Top priority is finding somewhere safe/secure
-Hoping to stay around $1200 or lower- (is this reasonable?)
-I will be bringing a car, so I will need somewhere with available parking
-Preferably no longer than 30 min car ride from TUSM campus
-Prefer an apartment building than renting a unit in a house/townhome
-Clean/newly renovated (or at least no major pest problems)

I have mostly been looking at Center City listings online, and have just started looking at Germantown/Mt Airy as well, but am really open to anywhere that would best fit this criteria. The biggest issue I have been having so far is knowing whether individual apartments are in "safe" areas- I am planning on visiting again in the next few weeks, so hopefully this will give me a better idea. Any recommendations of specific buildings that you may have heard good things about would also be greatly appreciated if that is allowed here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 04:35 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Center City and a car at 1200 a month may be tough. If your willing to live 30 mins away there are plenty of areas that are safe and affordable. One area I would suggest is Elkins Park or Cheltenham. You could even live close to the Ambler Campus in which there is a shuttle bus that travels back and forth to the North Philly campus.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:04 PM

82 posts, read 82,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlet View Post
I will be relocating to Philadelphia to attend Temple for medical school, and as I am from out of state and unfamiliar with the area, was wondering if anyone could provide any advice as far as housing. Some information about me/what I am looking for:

-White female, 20s, no kids (may bring a small dog, but not sure yet)
-Went to a very rural state school for undergrad, so no experience living in a big city
-Top priority is finding somewhere safe/secure
-Hoping to stay around $1200 or lower- (is this reasonable?)
-I will be bringing a car, so I will need somewhere with available parking
-Preferably no longer than 30 min car ride from TUSM campus
-Prefer an apartment building than renting a unit in a house/townhome
-Clean/newly renovated (or at least no major pest problems)

I have mostly been looking at Center City listings online, and have just started looking at Germantown/Mt Airy as well, but am really open to anywhere that would best fit this criteria. The biggest issue I have been having so far is knowing whether individual apartments are in "safe" areas- I am planning on visiting again in the next few weeks, so hopefully this will give me a better idea. Any recommendations of specific buildings that you may have heard good things about would also be greatly appreciated if that is allowed here!
I would check out Francisville (sometimes included as part of the bordering neighborhood of Fairmount), which is an up and coming neighborhood that's very close to Temple. There are some parts of the neighborhood that haven't quite come all the way up yet, but anything south of Girard Ave. and west of Ridge Ave. should be fine for you. Street parking is generally easy to find as well.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:14 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
I would recommend anything south of Fairmount and west of Broad. Or in the Northern Liberties area. Or maybe in South Philly. Or even in Manayunk, since you'll have a car, it'll make it easier for you to commute to the Health Sciences campus being in Manayunk. Fairmount/Spring Garden, Northern Liberties neighborhoods and anywhere in South Philly (for the most part) it would be most convenient for you to take the subway

Old 03-20-2014, 07:25 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
I would also recommend staying in or close to center city. Elkins Park, Cheltenham, and other such areas are good, but distant.

If you found a place downtown, you could hop on and off the sub; get there summer, winter, spring, or fall.

Locating downtown will also mean not needing a car. Saving many dollars. If you really feel you must have a car, also consider West Mt. Airy and City Ave.

Personally, I would choose to be right on campus if possible - not on the fringe - but on the campus.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-20-2014 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 09:07 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I would also recommend staying in or close to center city. Elkins Park, Cheltenham, and other such areas are good, but distant.

If you found a place downtown, you could hop on and off the sub; get there summer, winter, spring, or fall.

Locating downtown will also mean not needing a car. Saving many dollars. If you really feel you must have a car, also consider West Mt. Airy and City Ave.

Personally, I would choose to be right on campus if possible - not on the fringe - but on the campus.
Also consider that automobile liability insurance alone for a 20 something on their own in a city like Philadelphia could reach many thousands of dollars a year. When i was 20 ([1980] living two blocks from TU hospital, liability cost $3k a year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia