U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 PM

6 posts, read 15,707 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family will be moving up to the West Chester/Downingtown area this summer. We are looking at the Applecross CC homes (by Pulte) north of Downingtown ... probably the estate homes. I know there's only a few lots left in the estate homes.
Applecross Country Club | Downingtown PA New Homes | Pulte Homes

We have two young kids (5 and 3) and my wife's mom will also be living with us to help with the kids. We're attracted to Applecross because of the pool/tennis, and mix of larger and smaller homes/townhomes which we hope will yield more neighborhood diversity across different age groups. Additionally, because we have three adults in one house, we're looking for pretty specific floor plans so if we build we have more control over that. My wife would need to commute to WCU in West Chester and for me to a SEPTA train line since I'll be working in center city philly a couple days per week.

Our questions with Applecross are:
  • What do people like and dislike about living in Applecross and in this general geographic area?
  • How long would our daily commutes be to WCU and SEPTA?
  • How active is the community at Applecross? For example, is there a group that gets together for tennis, etc.?
  • Is the area generally flat and low traffic that kids would be safe taking walks (is there sidewalks?) and be able to ride their bikes safely (obviously with an adult)?
  • Is there a good mix of families with young kids in the area?
  • We've seen that the schools are excellent according to sites like greatschools ... confirmation on this?
  • Any parks/playgrounds nearby?
  • It seems there aren't too many trees since it's out in a rural area.
  • Anything else I should've asked but didn't!
Any guidance someone more local can provide would be very appreciated ... we're currently in NC so it's hard for us to make it up there. We will be planning a trip though in April ...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:36 PM

689 posts, read 2,095,673 times
I recently sold a home in Applecross to a client, I can reach out to them and get them to answer these questions for you!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:28 PM

49 posts, read 81,521 times
I can't answer all of your questions, but I can provide some insight.

Applecross is in an interesting area. It's fairly close to Thorndale, Downingtown and Exton for all of your shopping needs.
But it is definitely far enough out where things are starting to turn towards a lot of open and farm land.

The commute to WCU won't be bad, the roads might have some congestion, but I can assure you that there are far worse commutes in the area. As for Septa, the regional rail lines into the city stop in Thorndale and Downingtown. The only negative here is that rush hour trains typically run every half hour, but when you are out this far its only every hour, so you need to be mindful of that, because some of the trains will only go to Malvern. From Thorndale into the city you are looking at slightly over an hour for a train ride into the city, then additional commute to wherever your office is.

We looked at Applecross back when most of the homes weren't built yet. What I can say is the main road into the community will be the busy one. I'd keep kids off that street, but I'm sure all the sidestreets are far more pleasant. There are sidewalks too, so they can ride on that. I believe there were walking trails too, but don't quote me on that.

To me, they built the community as kind-of an all-inclusive resort feel. I imagine that everyone would be friendly and open to all the activities there, or they probably wouldn't buy since the fees are pretty high if you aren't going to use the features.

Downingtown is a great school district, and all of the kids in that neighborhood will go to the same schools, so if the elementary school has a lower rating now, I'm sure it would go up once more and more kids start attending from Applecross.

If you can deal with the commute, it's definitely a great community from the looks of it. There are a lot of new home communities going up in the Thorndale/Downingtown area, but they all fall in the inferior Coatesville School District.

The lot sizes were smaller there for the Village Singles we looked at. I imagine the lots for the Estates are bigger, but they have this crazy lot chart where they have premium fees for most of the lots.

Not sure where you are located now, but your best bet is to visit the community and just walk around and get a feel for things. If you have to make a day trip out of it then explore the area a bit. Take route 30 business from Thorndale to Exton at route 100 and see all of the shopping and restaurants that are close by. Then(depending where you are coming from) take a drive south to the University to test out what the commute would be like(even though there will be more cars).

Old 03-29-2014, 05:54 PM

689 posts, read 2,095,673 times
I just spoke to a past client who I sold a home to in Applecross and will email you her responses via a PM

Old 04-03-2014, 01:39 PM

6 posts, read 15,707 times
Thanks so much for the feedback!!! Very helpful.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,885 times
Do not buy in Applecross. Pulte builds homes that do not last and when issues arise and items need to be fixed and addressed they disappear. All the issues fall back to the homeowners and Pulte does very little to assist and will not work with you. Believe me in about 5 more years there will be an avalanche of problems coming down the road and Pulte will be gone. I have a roof leak on a 6 year old home and I am phase 1 and it is not covered by warranty because is it considered a workmanship issue. Homeowners will not cover it, HOA will not cover it which I knew, and Pulte will not cover it. Do yourself a favor and do not buy a home from Pulte. Applecross itself is a great community, but the builder is sub par at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or