U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 3,441 times

Advertisements

(My husband and I live in California--no kids. We're looking to move to Philly. Here are our two plans. Please tell me which one we should go with.)

His plan: Save up $ equal to 3 months worth of rent/food/bills. Move out there without securing a job first. His reason? He said no one will hire someone who lives in California. Also, it'll "light a fire under his ass" (his words) to really look for a job.

My plan: Job search from California. Tell potential employers that he can fly out for interviews so he seems super-dedicated, and tell them that if he gets the job, we can be moved out there in 2 weeks... and hope they give him a chance. Low risk, because if he doesn't find anything, no big deal, we just stay out here.

Many job listings we're seeing, say "local applicants only." So I understand his reason... but it just seems so terrifying to just blindly move out there. I've known people who have done such things before though, and it worked out for them. But... I just don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 10:46 AM

1,616 posts, read 3,321,308 times
Its kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. You stay in Cali it will be hard to get a job. You move to Philly it will be hard to find a rental without an income.

What kind of work are you looking for?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Its kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. You stay in Cali it will be hard to get a job. You move to Philly it will be hard to find a rental without an income.

What kind of work are you looking for?
Yeah... that's what I figured.

We'd have to find some kind of month-to-month rental first. Do those exist out there?

He's a UX/UI Designer (web/graphic designer).

Old 03-21-2014, 11:06 AM

2,377 posts, read 2,695,004 times
In tech from what I've seen philly is very helpful to people who would need to relocate. You should definitely try getting a job first and see if that works out. I would recommend putting on your linkedin / resume site uploads that you already live in the philly area. The tech recruiters etc will understand when they find out you're still in california.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:56 AM

1,616 posts, read 3,321,308 times
Since it is the tech industry I would stay in Cali until he has a job and here is why. Both my husband and father are programmers. Both have used headhunter services. Even though they both have jobs now, they still get offers from other states. If he can find the right company they may even pay relocation costs.

Philadelphia is home of the first Ad agency in the US. Lots of companies need web work. They may not all be in the city though. Many have moved to the suburbs because it is cheaper for them.

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:34 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,880,905 times
Some advice for someone who's kind of been around this a few times: Got married right after college with no employment. Then a year and a half later we moved to Philadelphia without having a job lined up. And after being here for four years, we're likely going to be leaving Philadelphia at some point soon without having jobs lined up. It's not that terrifying, but (and it's a big but) a couple of things.

Having more than 3 months income on hand isn't a bad thing. Because you don't want to back yourself into a hole. We prefer to do 6-9 months. Unexpected things can happen. And even if they don't, you'll feel better having your life planned out more than a couple of weeks ahead.

Be ready to do any kind of work you need to. Nothing can really be below you when you've only got your next couple of months planned out. I've done food service, hospitality, and I've done freelance stuff. If nothing else, you can gain some good perspective on life by putting yourself in these kinds of situations. If you trust yourself and your own competencies, you'll be fine.

Other than that, the one thing I wish I would have known (or taken more seriously anyway) before moving to Philadelphia I will tell you, and that's what Ms_Christina is getting at. And that's that Downtown Philadelphia, despite being a very significant place of employment, is not really the regional "economic engine". That doesn't affect everybody, but it's something to know and consider. A ton of jobs are in the suburbs.

If you have a good rental history and are willing to put up some money landlords might go easy on you. My wife and I didn't have a problem renting in Philly without work lined up. We actually moved to Rittenhouse when we first moved here, but when I contacted the landlord I explained to him our situation, and said I'd be willing to either have a co-signer, or pay 6-12 months up front, at which point they just let us sign a regular lease without really asking for anything special. That particular company also dealt with a lot of students, so perhaps they were just easy going with the formalities. That might not be your situation - but most of Philadelphia isn't particularly expensive or in high demand, so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to make something work out with someone.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Some advice for someone who's kind of been around this a few times: Got married right after college with no employment. Then a year and a half later we moved to Philadelphia without having a job lined up. And after being here for four years, we're likely going to be leaving Philadelphia at some point soon without having jobs lined up. It's not that terrifying, but (and it's a big but) a couple of things.

Having more than 3 months income on hand isn't a bad thing. Because you don't want to back yourself into a hole. We prefer to do 6-9 months. Unexpected things can happen. And even if they don't, you'll feel better having your life planned out more than a couple of weeks ahead.

Be ready to do any kind of work you need to. Nothing can really be below you when you've only got your next couple of months planned out. I've done food service, hospitality, and I've done freelance stuff. If nothing else, you can gain some good perspective on life by putting yourself in these kinds of situations. If you trust yourself and your own competencies, you'll be fine.

Other than that, the one thing I wish I would have known (or taken more seriously anyway) before moving to Philadelphia I will tell you, and that's what Ms_Christina is getting at. And that's that Downtown Philadelphia, despite being a very significant place of employment, is not really the regional "economic engine". That doesn't affect everybody, but it's something to know and consider. A ton of jobs are in the suburbs.

If you have a good rental history and are willing to put up some money landlords might go easy on you. My wife and I didn't have a problem renting in Philly without work lined up. We actually moved to Rittenhouse when we first moved here, but when I contacted the landlord I explained to him our situation, and said I'd be willing to either have a co-signer, or pay 6-12 months up front, at which point they just let us sign a regular lease without really asking for anything special. That particular company also dealt with a lot of students, so perhaps they were just easy going with the formalities. That might not be your situation - but most of Philadelphia isn't particularly expensive or in high demand, so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to make something work out with someone.
Thank you for your thorough response. When you say suburbs of Philly, where exactly do you mean? I have no problems living in the suburbs, as long as it's within comfortable driving distance (30-35 mins) from the city.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:50 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,880,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinBackEastSoon View Post
Thank you for your thorough response. When you say suburbs of Philly, where exactly do you mean? I have no problems living in the suburbs, as long as it's within comfortable driving distance (30-35 mins) from the city.
I don't drive, so what exactly is a 30 minute drive from the city at what time isn't exactly clear to me. I believe the northwest suburbs (think like the area around King of Prussia) are the healthiest job centers, but there's stuff in all directions. Also note that a lot of people in the suburbs use public transportation when travelling into the city (although not necessarily for other things).

If that part isn't a big deal to you, then there's definitely plenty of opportunity here.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:31 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinBackEastSoon View Post
Yeah... that's what I figured.

We'd have to find some kind of month-to-month rental first. Do those exist out there?

He's a UX/UI Designer (web/graphic designer).
You are probably already are aware of this but just in case SAP which is the largest software company in the world has its North American HQ in Newtown Square PA which is 20 minutes west of the city. I'm sure there are many job openings to explore on their website in both this region and other regions around the country.

They have about 2,000 employees working in Newtown Square .

Old 03-22-2014, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,512 times
I would hook up with a temp agency first and let them know when you are moving and then once you secure a spot at the temp agency hook up with a landlord on craigslist. a private rental will be more flexible with your situation than a community would. Also if you have 60 college credits you can substitute teach and that is usually a guaranteed employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia