U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:48 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,848,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
This discussion never gets old . . . . Seriously, for someone in from out of town, Pat's is the quintessential philly cheesesteak experience, even if it's not the best.
I agree that Pat's Steaks is a great spot for tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 03:28 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I'm a lifelong Philadelphian and I still go to Geno's once in awhile ... great place to people watch.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:05 PM
FBJ

39,606 posts, read 51,790,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog024 View Post
Amoroso Rolls are far from disgusting...but...Sarcones, Carangi, Liscio's are all better thats for sure the Truth. Go to subway and you'll find some disgusting rolls.

Best Cheesesteak in Philly is at John's Roast Pork, best late night Cheesesteak is at Phillips. True South Philly flavor, you just have to get down to these places since they aren't right on the beaten path. If you are in Center City and don't have the ability to make it down to Snyder & Weccanoe (John's) or 24th and Passyunk (Phillips) then you should try Steves which just opened a location at like 15th and Chestnut or something like that...just google it.

Amoroso Rolls was for when my mom called herself giving me a treat on friday night since money was tight and give me a homemade steak LOL

Old 03-25-2014, 07:07 PM
FBJ

39,606 posts, read 51,790,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post

Great spot for me too

Old 03-25-2014, 07:08 PM

42,719 posts, read 45,755,976 times
Pat's and Geno's.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:06 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,486,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
This discussion never gets old . . . .
Disagree.

I'm probably unfair to cheesesteaks, but I can't help it. It never stops annoying me that a city as amazing as Philly is reduced to a place to get a mediocre sandwich to most outsiders.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:07 PM

5,348 posts, read 5,570,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
GGGGAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Not another cheesesteak thread!

Mama Mia!

Ay Dios Mios!

Oy Vey!

Listen dude: ya wanna have a REAL Philly sandwich? Why not order a roast pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe on a roll???? Then you can go home and brag you had the most authentic Philly sandwich of all. You can get one at John's Roast Pork on Snyder Ave. in South Philly, or at Tommy DiNik's in Reading Terminal Market, or at Jake's Sandwiches at 122 S. 12th Street in Center City.
I completely agree. I don't get why the roast pork sandwich isn't a bigger deal to the general public. It's easily better than a cheesesteak IMHO.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:47 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I completely agree. I don't get why the roast pork sandwich isn't a bigger deal to the general public. It's easily better than a cheesesteak IMHO.
It's simply because like it or not, "Philly Cheesesteak" is an established food genre that is known by many, and served (in some form) in food establishments nationwide. It's not even about the city so much, or even a specific sandwich. People will even commonly use that term just to describe thinly sliced beef at this point.

"Philly Roast Pork with Broccoli Rabe and Sharp Provolone" is no such thing, and is a pretty esoteric thing even within Philly itself.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:07 AM

There's only about three or four places in Philly to get a quality pork sandwich, but you can walk into almost any pizza joint and get a decent steak. Most pork sandwiches suck in this city, including Tony Luke's. THAT'S why the cheesesteak rules.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Disagree.

I'm probably unfair to cheesesteaks, but I can't help it. It never stops annoying me that a city as amazing as Philly is reduced to a place to get a mediocre sandwich to most outsiders.
Most outsiders view us as an important part of American history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or