Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:50 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,647,285 times

Advertisements

Not feeling the Amorosos hate. I wish places around here used em!

Also, I like Amorosos BETTER than Sarcones for steaks (though not hoagies).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 03:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,979,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Oh please - how in the world do you compare the cotton texture of an Amarosos roll to the crisp perfection of a roll from Sarcones? They are in no way the exact same bread. Seeing a sign in a sandwich shop "boasting" their bread comes from Amarosos send me running the other way.
Exactly, have no clue what he is talking about

Old 03-24-2014, 04:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,877,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Not feeling the Amorosos hate. I wish places around here used em!

Also, I like Amorosos BETTER than Sarcones for steaks (though not hoagies).
must be the softer rolls

Live two blocks from Sarcones so consider that a win from a proximity standpoint (there is also a place called Sonny's in Limerick PA - think family related to Sarcones and they drive in the rolls daily. They do a Cheesesteak grinder sort of there and IMHO is better than the Sarones Cheesesteak.)

That said there is place called Silvios in Hatboro PA (Montgomery County) that IMHO has the best Cheesesteak ever- Bread is fantastic too

I used to make the ride there from Richboro area in my teens and early 20s - man what I would give for one right now

I am also a pretty big fan of the Santuccis Cheesesteak at 10th and Christian FWIW - not to mention their short rib fries

Maybe should consider a salad tonight

Old 03-24-2014, 05:32 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,930,223 times
GGGGAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Not another cheesesteak thread!

Mama Mia!

Ay Dios Mios!

Oy Vey!

Listen dude: ya wanna have a REAL Philly sandwich? Why not order a roast pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe on a roll???? Then you can go home and brag you had the most authentic Philly sandwich of all. You can get one at John's Roast Pork on Snyder Ave. in South Philly, or at Tommy DiNik's in Reading Terminal Market, or at Jake's Sandwiches at 122 S. 12th Street in Center City.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:10 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,520,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Not really the cheesesteak IMO-(kind of agree with phillies2011 assessment that the roll is most important and most all places in Philly use good rolls), but the Chicken Cheesesteak at Ishkabibbles is the best I've had-real chunks of quality chicken.

For the OP, If you're doing the touristy thing I'd just go straight to The Reading Terminal Market for a hot roast pork/provolone/broccoli rabe at Tommy Dinic's (but John's is better).
And Paesano's pork is better than both of them. Combined. I find Ishkabibble's chicken cheesesteak to be dry as hell, best to load it up with peppers and onions.
The best sandwich in the RTM is Beck's Train Wreck.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:14 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,520,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Oh please - how in the world do you compare the cotton texture of an Amarosos roll to the crisp perfection of a roll from Sarcones? They are in no way the exact same bread. Seeing a sign in a sandwich shop "boasting" their bread comes from Amarosos send me running the other way.
I concur. I only like Amoroso's @home with Dietz and Watson lunchmeat.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:11 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,979,999 times
Amoroso Rolls are disgusting

Old 03-25-2014, 06:47 AM

134 posts, read 474,902 times
Amoroso Rolls are far from disgusting...but...Sarcones, Carangi, Liscio's are all better thats for sure the Truth. Go to subway and you'll find some disgusting rolls.

Best Cheesesteak in Philly is at John's Roast Pork, best late night Cheesesteak is at Phillips. True South Philly flavor, you just have to get down to these places since they aren't right on the beaten path. If you are in Center City and don't have the ability to make it down to Snyder & Weccanoe (John's) or 24th and Passyunk (Phillips) then you should try Steves which just opened a location at like 15th and Chestnut or something like that...just google it.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:49 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,986,545 times
Tony Luke's plans on expanding to the Los Angeles area. At least people in Southern California will finally be able to get a good chessesteak on the West Coast.

Comedian Craig Shoemaker to bring Tony Luke's to the West Coast, developing show with Dorenbos

Old 03-25-2014, 02:44 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,482,736 times
This discussion never gets old . . . . Seriously, for someone in from out of town, Pat's is the quintessential philly cheesesteak experience, even if it's not the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia