U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:46 PM

61 posts, read 172,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruh 2 the K View Post
I want to move to Philly. I currently live in LA. I am a city guy and living downtown would be idea. But I want to be amongst my people (African Americans). Is there an area in DownTown Philly where a good number of Blacks live? Inquiring minds want to know.
white people are a minority in Philly.. In the suburbs i don't think race is much of an issue, unless you make it one.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:26 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,301,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMatt View Post
white people are a minority in Philly.
There is no majority in Philly so everyone is a minority. Whites are the largest minority - 45%. Blacks are the second largest - 43%.

Both groups are going to lose ground to Latinos and Asians in this next census but whites will still be the largest group. Blacks are the only group that are still leaving the city in large numbers.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:05 PM

344 posts, read 738,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeidiaz View Post
I am originally from philly, but I have been living in L.A. for the last 15 years. There are many things that I LOVE about L.A., but most of my family is in philly and my husband and I are considering moving back.

The best part about L.A. is that it is progressive. There are many well to do black people who aren't necessarily "rich," but they are definitely NOT poor. The question I have is two-fold; 1) are there many well to do black people in NJ or philly and 2) what areas are considered semi-upscale (not terribly expensive)?

In L.A. I spend about $2k per month that gets me a really great townhouse in the best area in the SF Valley.

I really want to move, but I am a little concerned about some deep rooted racism and separation that both areas still seem to harbor. I think its ridiculous that people separate themselves based on race and class.

I work hard just like everyone else does, but I am not open to living below my means because of some deep rooted issues. I HOPE I DON'T OFFEND ANYONE WHEN I SAY THIS. It is definitely not my intention.

not to mention it is all over philly, my fathers family is living proof that "blacks are suppose to know hard times", bling or no bling
all of that drama is here waiting for you
will be interested to hear what you think of the tensions growing in univercity city and how that has manifested to be a epicenter of philly's new class struggle
am 34, born and raised in philly

Old 12-03-2008, 02:06 PM

160 posts, read 740,531 times
I live and have lived in extremely diverse sections of Philadelphia where there are middle eastern families on one side and black on the other, hispanic across the street,etc. So I have to say that while I know that there is some race separation in the city, there are plenty of areas that are not. I'm not sure if it's "something in the water" as someone posted earlier, but I did recently read an article published by an african american man that gave statistics on how many black students in Philadelphia were entering into 4yr degree programs and then into Master's programs. I will have to find this article. Anyways, the article stated that the rate of enrollment was something like 1 to 5 or 1 to 4, the 1 being african american students. I don't know why this is the statistic in Philadelphia, but I think that would be a major contributing factor in why there may or may not be a large upper-middle class black community. However, despite this article and some other comments, being in a mixed family with MANY middle to upper class black professionals who have all completed college degrees and master's degrees,etc. All that to say, "they" as someone else said do exist, and they are my family and friends and we frequent center city and it's upscale restaurants. Some friends have purchased expensive condos and homes putting their payments at much more than $2000/month. And for a REALLY nice townhome, you'll pay more than that in rent. Particularly in the city. I can't really comment on NJ as I've never lived there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying that there are racial divisions in Philly, just that, as a native, and as someone who's family might fall into the catagory you're talking about, whatever has gone on or does go on has not hindered their achievements and fulfillments in relationships, careers and recreation. Check it out(here in Philly), and I think you might feel more comfortable than you think.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by near1977 View Post
Yeah PG county is something else...if you like that "I just cut down some primeval forestland to build my gross looking prefab house not following any logical sort of development pattern because I need to separate my self from the poor folk and I don't really need an actual view of anything from my 300,000 dollar house in the middle of nowhere and hey , lets order pizza this friday so we can taste what it feels like to wait two hours for a mediocre slice of pie? But really, Philly is Sooooooo much better if only because its an actual city, I mean DC is okay but the bum/wino to regular folk ratio is way too high and there is no way anybody needs that many liqour stores! Also Philly hides its bums alot better than DC. Yeah .... our bums are alot more docile too. But Philly has its share of crime/violence but thats the cuty for ya! I am glad to say that I have not been shot, stabbed, robbed, raped, pickpocketed, scammed bamboozled, hoodwinked, run amok, or led astray for quite sometime now and also If you live in a "good" neighborhood you can slip in and out of the interesting parts of town like some sort of wealthy ninja and never have to deal with brokey proles like myself. There are starbucks everywhere and also real coffeeshops, you can get good food just about anywhwere and your bound to be in better physical condition than us lumpy dumplins' so if you run afoul of us and we attack you can simply outrun us like the mighty gazelle of mother africa. Anyhow, here is a breakdown of the in-city hoods:

West philly/University City- um.....you can buy a house near penn on the south side of market between say, 40th and 45-46 but it'll cost ya and it eventually bumps right into a "scaryhood"

South Philly - even I am afraid of south philly, its like bizarro-world or something. doctors,mob guys,hipsters,motorcycle gangs,plastic surgeons,Beanie siegal,mexican,cambodian,and vietnamese immigrants and poor-poor black folks all living together (sort of) they don't really associate too much. The italian market is cool though and its the only place on earth to get a REAL cheesesteak...and theres a walmart!

North Philly - wow.....well to do types typically avoid everything south of olney avenue. basically the oak lanes (east and west are pretty nice and the further north you go generally the nicer)

The Northeast - poor white folks, latinos and blacks, then poor asians, then middle class white folks , then ...wait....we've left town!

Old city -
Are you rich and wanna be hassled for change by a wino?

wanna hear what a bunch of jerkys from jersey think about some subject you care nothing about as they get drunk and pretend to be from here and fondle their skinny gold chains......and hassle you for change!?

wanna go outside on the first friday of every month and fight your way through crowds of tipsy artistes with communications degrees who work at starbucks ride 300 dollar bikes that look like they cost 5 dollars and dress like bums even though they have rich parents?

If so, old city is for you!

Actually there are these really cool condos that go out into the water and it looks really awesome but the view is if camden and I'm fairly sure they will eventually fall into the water and unless you are moving here from atlantis that could be a downer.

Center city-
Wanna increase your chances of being hassled for change exponentially?

Wanna be frisked by a cop because your not wearing business attire?

Do you want a good 'ol fashioned big-city mugging in the wee small hours?

Wanna see some big fat city -fed rats?

Wanna have to park in south philly?

Yay, center city!

Just go to cherry hill nj and say you live here....everybody else does.its for the best!
to the OP,
this person above is clearly not from here and clearly doesnt understand
they have the south street visitor view-from-afar
take it with a grain of salt

Old 12-03-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb842 View Post
but I did recently read an article published by an african american man that gave statistics on how many black students in Philadelphia were entering into 4yr degree programs and then into Master's programs. I will have to find this article. Anyways, the article stated that the rate of enrollment was something like 1 to 5 or 1 to 4, the 1 being african american students. I don't know why this is the statistic in Philadelphia, but I think that would be a major contributing factor in why there may or may not be a large upper-middle class black community.
considering that only in 27% of all americans graduate from college that sounds about average to me.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb842 View Post
I live and have lived in extremely diverse sections of Philadelphia where there are middle eastern families on one side and black on the other, hispanic across the street,etc. So I have to say that while I know that there is some race separation in the city, there are plenty of areas that are not. I'm not sure if it's "something in the water" as someone posted earlier, but I did recently read an article published by an african american man that gave statistics on how many black students in Philadelphia were entering into 4yr degree programs and then into Master's programs. I will have to find this article. Anyways, the article stated that the rate of enrollment was something like 1 to 5 or 1 to 4, the 1 being african american students. I don't know why this is the statistic in Philadelphia, but I think that would be a major contributing factor in why there may or may not be a large upper-middle class black community. However, despite this article and some other comments, being in a mixed family with MANY middle to upper class black professionals who have all completed college degrees and master's degrees,etc. All that to say, "they" as someone else said do exist, and they are my family and friends and we frequent center city and it's upscale restaurants. Some friends have purchased expensive condos and homes putting their payments at much more than $2000/month. And for a REALLY nice townhome, you'll pay more than that in rent. Particularly in the city. I can't really comment on NJ as I've never lived there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying that there are racial divisions in Philly, just that, as a native, and as someone who's family might fall into the catagory you're talking about, whatever has gone on or does go on has not hindered their achievements and fulfillments in relationships, careers and recreation. Check it out(here in Philly), and I think you might feel more comfortable than you think.
there is no cause/effect relationship between education and class
not even a correlation

Old 12-04-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
there is no cause/effect relationship between education and class
not even a correlation
what?

So I should expect to see high school dropouts shopping at Miel and enjoying cocktails at Brasserie Perrier and the guy with the masters in finance will be living at K&A, making $15k a year, eating lunch at McDonald's, and doing all of his grocery shopping at the corner store?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,556,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
There is no majority in Philly so everyone is a minority. Whites are the largest minority - 45%. Blacks are the second largest - 43%.

Both groups are going to lose ground to Latinos and Asians in this next census but whites will still be the largest group. Blacks are the only group that are still leaving the city in large numbers.
this is no different in any major city. good to see philly's moving in the right direction

Old 12-04-2008, 07:11 PM

Someone from LA is worried about racial tensions in Philly? Really? Didn't you guys burn down half your city about 15 years ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
will be interested to hear what you think of the tensions growing in univercity city and how that has manifested to be a epicenter of philly's new class struggle am 34, born and raised in philly
Having associated with some of the more vocal folks in that "class struggle" I think the whole thing is a joke. It's a bunch of young, white, trust-fund anarchists who want to keep the yuppies out of the neighborhood that they feel belongs to them now because they "discovered it" two years ago . . . who have joined forces with a bunch of over-educated, bourgeois blacks who want to keep white people out of the neighborhood.

Now, i live in South Philly, and my older, black neighbor said to me, only half-jokingly "now, if I knew you were gonna bring all these other white people with you I wouldn't have been so nice to you." She was of course, referring to the steady trickle of younger, white people in the neighborhood over the last 5 years. I said, "hey, this has been a white neighborhood for 400 years. You just moved here from South Carolina 35 years ago. We were just letting you borrow it."

Truth is, though, that this was an irish neighborhood, then it was italian, then greeks and spaniards moved in, then african-americans from the south, then vietnamese, then cambodians, then indonesians, now whites and vietnamese again.

Sorry to say but your ethnic group doesn't "own" a neighborhood. Get over yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or