U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:59 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Doesn't mean they don't exist.
Well I'd think my friends would tell me if people were calling them racially insensitive things...

Old 12-19-2008, 06:03 PM

24,672 posts, read 34,767,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Well I'd think my friends would tell me if people were calling them racially insensitive things...
Racial problems and tensions go way beyond being called insensitive things.....redlining, being harassed by cops, being followed or scrutinized in stores, and countless other forms of subtle and covert discrimination occurs everywhere in this country that people of different races live, including the suburbs of Philadelphia. Your friends grew up in a different environment than I did, as my children have. But don't be fooled. It's there.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:09 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,301,861 times
Quote:
.....redlining, being harassed by cops, being followed or scrutinized in stores
I have to wonder what redlining, in the modern context, has to do with being in a black neighborhood . . . as opposed to being in a lower-middle class to poor neighborhood. I can show you blue-collar, white neighborhoods that stretch from Trenton, NJ to Claymont, DE (and on both sides of the river) that were "redlined" decades ago.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
I have to wonder what redlining, in the modern context, has to do with being in a black neighborhood . . . as opposed to being in a lower-middle class to poor neighborhood. I can show you blue-collar, white neighborhoods that stretch from Trenton, NJ to Claymont, DE (and on both sides of the river) that were "redlined" decades ago.

I read lots of your posts and find them informative.......but what does this have to do with what I was saying? Redlining also means keeping black people out of neighborhoods. This has happened to me.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:23 PM

2,066 posts, read 4,497,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeidiaz View Post
I am originally from philly, but I have been living in L.A. for the last 15 years. There are many things that I LOVE about L.A., but most of my family is in philly and my husband and I are considering moving back.

The best part about L.A. is that it is progressive. There are many well to do black people who aren't necessarily "rich," but they are definitely NOT poor. The question I have is two-fold; 1) are there many well to do black people in NJ or philly and 2) what areas are considered semi-upscale (not terribly expensive)?

In L.A. I spend about $2k per month that gets me a really great townhouse in the best area in the SF Valley.

I really want to move, but I am a little concerned about some deep rooted racism and separation that both areas still seem to harbor. I think its ridiculous that people separate themselves based on race and class.

I work hard just like everyone else does, but I am not open to living below my means because of some deep rooted issues. I HOPE I DON'T OFFEND ANYONE WHEN I SAY THIS. It is definitely not my intention.
Overbrook Park, Wynnefield near and around St. Josephs, City Line Avenue area, there are plenty of upper/upper middle income professional established black commuities. Former Mayors, politicians, business people, etc., also have homes in those areas.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:27 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times
Quote:
Racial problems and tensions go way beyond being called insensitive things.....redlining, being harassed by cops, being followed or scrutinized in stores, and countless other forms of subtle and covert discrimination occurs everywhere in this country that people of different races live, including the suburbs of Philadelphia. Your friends grew up in a different environment than I did, as my children have. But don't be fooled. It's there.
Never seen/heard any of that. I've seen the opposite more often, i.e. blacks being insensitive to others.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Never seen/heard any of that. I've seen the opposite more often, i.e. blacks being insensitive to others.
You need to see more things, get out more. You're still quite young and quite naive. All I got to say about that.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:52 AM

344 posts, read 738,775 times
Quote:
Two questions.

What suburbs are these?

Have you asked any black folks if there are any problems?

now THAT'S what i'm talkin about!

Old 12-20-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
How old
How naive

Am I doing this right
?
?
my apprentice...such a chipper, quick learner [pats on back]

Old 12-20-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by JHG722
Immediate Philadelphia suburbs. I have a lot of black friends, and have never heard from them or from anyone about racial issues.

Quote:
Doesn't mean they don't exist.
he's talking about the lancaster ave main line. but he knows he's wrong so he cant come out and say it

its not like people of color who live in those areas just come out and casual talk to their white peers about their not-so-hot racial experiences there. but some think that everything which is spoken of is everything that happens . 1950's family living ALONE proved that wrong, not to mention being a fallacy of logic. accepted people of color out there are trying to "be cool" about things, not tell white people stuff that they dont want to believe. i.e. about 1989, i read in a mainline paper that wayne would be having a klan march that forcoming saturday. i was like whoa!, but i didnt have a concept of what that meant (was 14). i told a white friend of mine from upper darby 2 years ago, and she refused to believe that i was telling the truth, not based upon my merit (she was living in malvern at the time). this type of "does this still happen anymore???" to racial stuff is in every city in the US i think, except for parts of cali, texas, and arizona lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or