Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:19 AM

344 posts, read 841,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722
Never seen/heard any of that. I've seen the opposite more often, i.e. blacks being insensitive to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
You need to see more things, get out more. You're still quite young and quite naive. All I got to say about that.

i know, RIGHT???
that stuff is the laughable of the laughable, and can paint a clearer and typical picture of how that same view would see the burbs as described. its so unreal its cartoonish. my family sued friends central for the very topic at hand, b/c of messed up stuff with the teachers and myself (3rd grade). i wasnt treated any better at penn valley elementary by 1/2 of the teachers (4th and 5th grade)

Old 12-20-2008, 11:31 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
Quote:
I read lots of your posts and find them informative.......but what does this have to do with what I was saying? Redlining also means keeping black people out of neighborhoods. This has happened to me.
I also read a lot of your posts, most of which are insightful, but often it seems that you erase the line between the disadvantages of being poor and the disadvantages of being black (i'm using disadvantage as a euphemism for discrimination). I take issue with that because it gives the impression that these things only happen to black people and that they only happen to them because they're black, not because they're poor.

It seems to me that you hold on to the black intellectual notion, and maybe it's because you've lived around upper-middle class or rich white people for most of your life, that white people have a special passport on their foreheads. That all you need to be is white and you're a member of the club.

As someone who (is white and) has had to put up with a lot of BS from cops, in stores, at work, because my looks don't match my pedigree I find it insulting and naive.

Trying to make the discrimination and disadvantages one experiences because they're poor into a racial issue is what drives a wedge between poor people of all backgrounds and is what makes a lot of poor and lower-middle class white folks skeptical when confronted with issues with real racial overtones.

Rather than blurring the line between being poor and being black we should be highlighting it and making it easier for people to acknowledge. If you say "Here's a black guy with an MBA who makes six figures. These people refused to sell him a house because of his color." No reasonable person will fail to see the injustice in that.

If you say, "here's a black neighborhood that's in bad shape. It's falling apart because banks won't lend money to black people." A lot of black people might buy that. But any white person who has ever been turned down for a loan and/or who is watching their neighborhood decline is going to see right through it and only become more resentful.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
It seems to me that you hold on to the black intellectual notion, and maybe it's because you've lived around upper-middle class or rich white people for most of your life, that white people have a special passport on their foreheads. That all you need to be is white and you're a member of the club.
reminds me of that one eddie murphy SNL skit from like '83? you remember the one

and i have to say that psuedo black-intellectualism identity is corny and 1/2 baked, especially when jazz or any african clothes that no one in africa wears is involved lolololol
i've been a musician my whole life from strings to brass...and i do understand that black americans hold exceptionally tight to concepts for identity, but if i say i own dunkin donuts, it would be founded of me if i knew something about a bearclaw

Old 12-20-2008, 01:52 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
Personally I don't care how people self-identify or how they dress or what music they listen to. OTOH, I have read enough cornel west, james loewen and bell hooks to be able to parse the difference between a pro-black agenda (west, loewen) and an anti-white one (hooks).

Old 12-20-2008, 02:45 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
and your point is??

Quote:
That's a possibility for anyone, not just white people, if indeed you are.

If I take a stroll through Fishtown, I may not make it very far either, which illustrates my point rather nicely.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:23 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,185 times
And of course everyone is correct...because this is a generational issue....

All of you have to realize that the "RosaParks/Shaft" generation has seen a wildly different world than the "OMG, LOL-Will Smith" generation.

Understand that yesterdays black folks were horribly discriminated against...

Also understand that todays white folk went to school with a black principal and black homecoming king...

Old 12-20-2008, 05:14 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
and your point is??
Fishtown is racist. thats what's up

its an old white blue collar proud neighborhood....fill in the dots

Old 12-20-2008, 06:22 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
huh? Fishtown white? When was the last time you were there?
but even IF it was all white(like say.. Port Richmond) any black person can walk thru it without fear of attack. If your white, try that in an all black hood like North Philly. Be reading about your body in the paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

Old 12-20-2008, 06:28 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Many of the more recent posts have strayed off-topic and would be more appropriate for discussion in forums like Great Debates and Politics and Other Controversies.

Let's get back to discussing the original topic, please.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:40 PM

dearest frankie,
you must have just moved to earth
everyone who breathes AND knows that Fishtown exists knows this...the still very current foundation of fishtown, not the new white 20 somethings that made it psuedo-cool 2 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
huh? Fishtown white? When was the last time you were there?
but even IF it was all white(like say.. Port Richmond) any black person can walk thru it without fear of attack. If your white, try that in an all black hood like North Philly. Be reading about your body in the paper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia