U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:04 PM

32 posts, read 96,769 times

Advertisements

I am originally from philly, but I have been living in L.A. for the last 15 years. There are many things that I LOVE about L.A., but most of my family is in philly and my husband and I are considering moving back.

The best part about L.A. is that it is progressive. There are many well to do black people who aren't necessarily "rich," but they are definitely NOT poor. The question I have is two-fold; 1) are there many well to do black people in NJ or philly and 2) what areas are considered semi-upscale (not terribly expensive)?

In L.A. I spend about $2k per month that gets me a really great townhouse in the best area in the SF Valley.

I really want to move, but I am a little concerned about some deep rooted racism and separation that both areas still seem to harbor. I think its ridiculous that people separate themselves based on race and class.

I work hard just like everyone else does, but I am not open to living below my means because of some deep rooted issues. I HOPE I DON'T OFFEND ANYONE WHEN I SAY THIS. It is definitely not my intention.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 PM

1,654 posts, read 6,823,123 times
Well, when my partner and I moved here, we looked in Cherry Hill, NJ, Center City, just about every area mentioned on this site.

I'm not a Philadelphia native so I don't think I can answer your question effectively, but just from living in the suburbs for the last year and a half, I don't think you're going to find a big conglomeration of middle class African Americans. I don't think I have ever taken the time to think about it, but I grew up in a pretty white world down south so living in majority white neighborhoods doesn't really bother me.

As far as living arrangements, our house was a foreclosure that we got a really good deal on. And my mortgage is a 7 year fixed and we pay 3870. We've done a lot of remodeling. If we stay in the Philly area, the next one is going to be a custom built home. But I digress. I live in suburbia and $2000 a month really wouldn't get you much, but I don't think there is much for sale in my area.

I think you have to come to realize that people are always going to have their differences and if a white person doesn't like you, I think you just have to pray for them and move on. I personally have not had any major issues, just a minor things and its usually when I go to some of the Main Line areas.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:52 AM

690 posts, read 2,769,449 times
Lawnside, NJ you will find a decent amount of middle-class African Americans, although it is more blue-collar than white-collar. Lawnside is an old Civil War town so it has had basically a population of 100% African Americans for a long time.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:53 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Thanks for mentioning Lawnside, JerzBoy. It was on the tip of my tongue in an earlier thread but I couldn't quite come up with the name. Would you say that Willingboro might be in the same category?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:09 AM

4,101 posts, read 7,869,465 times
In Cheltenham there is a large amount of successful well to do buppies (black yuppies).

Old 12-06-2007, 11:25 AM

58 posts, read 343,328 times
Default Well to do....African Americans.

I live in California...and have been in Philly many times. (Going this X-mas.)
For the most part, comparing L.A. to Philly, you wont find too many
well to do "Folks." I know who the mayor is but it doesn't matter.
I don't know if it's something in the water in Philly or what,
but if "they" are around there sure aren't many. I saw a few of "us" in Rittenhouse square, but I also was asked for money by some of "us." Also, you mentioned the separations of race and class in Philly. You better believe this is going on.
It's a shame, but it's a fact. It reminds me of South Africa a bit, (the divisions of race and class) (Yes I am being a little extreme.) I am open to any criticisms of this post. (Proove me wrong)...Tone?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:56 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Not to excuse Philly, but it is typical of many metros in its relative lack of integration. That said, there are areas here that, whether willingly or reluctantly, are starting to diversify. Yes, the South Africa analogy may have been a little extreme but I get your point.

I don't have any solutions except to suggest that government, businesses, unions and communities start working together more as a cohesive unit. I do realize that's much easier said than done, however, as each faction may put its own interests first. But again, Philly is not the only city susceptible to this. As much as ethnic harmony and success may exist in California, it still has its share of racial and class divisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX_Airport View Post
but if "they" are around there sure aren't many. I saw a few of "us" in Rittenhouse square, but I also was asked for money by some of "us." Also, you mentioned the separations of race and class in Philly. You better believe this is going on.
It's a shame, but it's a fact. It reminds me of South Africa a bit, (the divisions of race and class) (Yes I am being a little extreme.) I am open to any criticisms of this post. (Proove me wrong)...Tone?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX_Airport View Post
I'm going this Christmas too!

As far as "Well to do" goes, I didn't actually mean a plethora, I just meant, are there any. In "any" I mean, more than just one or two obviously.

I would love to see more prosperity amongst black people in Philly. My mother and I were having a conversation on this very topic today, and I agree with her when she said that the great part about L.A. is that people come here and see they that they can do anything; be anything.

In Philly, I think a vast majority of people only see their "5 blocks." They don't see that there is more for them, so many - NOT ALL - don't strive beyond just making it to the next pay check.

ABOUT ME: I was born and raised in Philly. My parents moved us to L.A. later in life once my mom got a degree b/c the crime was getting a little too close to home. They wanted a better life for me and my siblings, and the only way to do this was to move.

I understand. They had to do what they had to do. I am; however, glad that we moved b/c I see now that I can be more than just another girl from Philly.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
But again, Philly is not the only city susceptible to this. As much as ethnic harmony and success may exist in California, it still has its share of racial and class divisions.
Oh yes, I know. I was there for the riots when the blacks and the mexicans were fighting in the schools and in their neighborhoods. Some of that still remains, BUT California has come a long way.

I just wish Philly would come "a long." GRANTED - Philly has changed a lot since I was a kid, and it continues to make changes, but there are some things that just shouldn't be issues anymore that still are.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:03 AM

690 posts, read 2,769,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Thanks for mentioning Lawnside, JerzBoy. It was on the tip of my tongue in an earlier thread but I couldn't quite come up with the name. Would you say that Willingboro might be in the same category?
I think Willingboro used to be in this category but I have heard bad things recently. Such as gang activity from Camden and Mount Holly moving in. More shootings, more crime etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or