Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 PM

40 posts, read 82,757 times

Advertisements

This topic really has me split . Yes gentrification brings money and investment into poorer neighborhoods that need that. Property values rise and people want to live in that neighborhood like NoLibs or Graduate Hospital. However gentrification usually forces the longtime, usually minority, residents out of their neighborhoods and seems to only relocate the poverty and the crime that follows. For example Northeast Philly where I live has been said to be on the decline escpecially Holmesburg where a few days a few teens were stabbed which got me thinking about this. Also one thing I love about Philly is that we are a grittier blue collar city than other Northeast Cities like Boston after reading another thread so is the gentrification taking away from what makes Philly, Philly and is it worth it if we are just relocating the poor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,042,401 times
If those moving in are pushing out those already there simply by paying more without improving the area, then I don't see how that is good for either party.

How is gentrification any different than an area losing a lot of high paying jobs? In that scenario all the high paid populace is also forced out. I think both scenarios are caused by uncontrollable forces. If they could be controlled they shouldn't.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
If you're a property owner gentrification is good.

If you're a renter it is bad.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:08 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
It has positive and negative aspects; it's not to be confused with a cure for poverty.

Other than that? It is what it is. No one racial/socioeconomic group has the inherent right to be "in control" of any neighborhood.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:02 AM

221 posts, read 400,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123noname321 View Post
This topic really has me split . Yes gentrification brings money and investment into poorer neighborhoods that need that. Property values rise and people want to live in that neighborhood like NoLibs or Graduate Hospital. However gentrification usually forces the longtime, usually minority, residents out of their neighborhoods and seems to only relocate the poverty and the crime that follows. For example Northeast Philly where I live has been said to be on the decline escpecially Holmesburg where a few days a few teens were stabbed which got me thinking about this. Also one thing I love about Philly is that we are a grittier blue collar city than other Northeast Cities like Boston after reading another thread so is the gentrification taking away from what makes Philly, Philly and is it worth it if we are just relocating the poor?
I think it really depends who you ask. I also agree that one of my favorite things about Philly is the blue collar/middle class culture that has been so strong here in comparison to other cities. In fact, when you ask people from other places to describe Philly it's often something about "blue collar" or "tough" or "hard-working." But for a lot of the people who live in Philadelphia now, who didn't grow up experiencing that culture in say the Northeast, or Roxborough, or Port Richmond, or wherever, gentrification is nothing but good cause it means more restaurants, music venues, bars, amenities, etc in Center City and the surrounding core neighborhoods. I don't think a lot of consideration is given to what's happening outside of those areas. And then if you ask people from the traditional middle class neighborhoods, many are going to complain about the city getting worse. I think this trend of the middle class moving on and gentrification/development in the neighborhoods surrounding Center City is clearing shifting a lot of the poverty and problems further out.

From the Pew Charitable Trusts survey on the middle class in Philadelphia, it looks like recently from 2000 to 2010 though things improved with the upper class growing, lower class shrinking, and the decline of the middle class slowing to only 1% over those ten years. Maybe this is stabilizing a bit as a whole. I think neighborhoods in Northeast Philly can definitely survive without completely declining, but it's all about if people value living there and want to stay because those sections are not going to see the influx of young people with money from outside the city that Fishtown, or Point Breeze, or even Roxborough (which seems to get young families who previously rented/lived in Manayunk) are seeing. People have to continue leaving for decline to move in.

Last edited by Snwmn5; 03-26-2014 at 12:19 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 06:25 AM

225 posts, read 394,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
If you're a property owner gentrification is good.

If you're a renter it is bad.
I agree. It is about as simple as that.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:59 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123noname321 View Post
It's not as simple as that and the underlying issue is far more complex. the number of people living in northern liberties has tripled so it's not like rich people moved in and pushed out poor people. the neighborhood has been revitalized from an area that was neither home to many people nor home to many businesses (anymore). in graduate hospital hundreds of vacant properties were renovated and returned to use. aside from a few poverty pimps, I don't think anyone would consider this aspect a bad thing. the reality is that not all revitalization is gentrification but people often conflate the two. the reality is the blue collar image was largely a temporary thing and represents a period where the wealthy had been leaving but the working and middle class stayed. over the years, the middle aslo left and the working class barely exists anymore because that type of work is gone. these are much bigger problems than just gentrification. a friend of mine grew up in a "northeast" like neighborhood in southwest philly. long before fishtown was cool that neighborhood collapsed. the reality is "gentrification" isn't pushing people into the northeast, without it, the northeast would still be having problems and the core neighborhoods would still be bad. and look at those neighborhoods, sprring garden was built for people with money, when they left, it became poor. its a cycle. the northeast housing is becoming dated just as the rowhomes before them. lastly, middle and working class areas are hit the hardest by the schools. when the northeast had more money they could send kids to parochial schools but as the area gets poorer,people are forced out into the burbs if they don't want their kids in the PSD.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:00 AM

95 posts, read 180,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
If those moving in are pushing out those already there simply by paying more without improving the area, then I don't see how that is good for either party.

How is gentrification any different than an area losing a lot of high paying jobs? In that scenario all the high paid populace is also forced out. I think both scenarios are caused by uncontrollable forces. If they could be controlled they shouldn't.
Well, the difference is that gentrification ends up creating jobs, not losing them. So while its true that rents rise and low-income renters have to move (which is just as bad as high income people leaving, as you point out), gentrification has positive externalities on the rest of the city that losing jobs doesn't have.

It increases tax revenue, it increases job opportunities for others (hey, someone has to work at those new gastropubs and coffee shops), and it makes the city more attractive to tourists (who also create jobs and bring in tax revenue).

And since tax revenue is what pays for city services, gentrification is a positive thing at least for the low-income residents who don't have to move (in other neighborhoods, say).

Of course, if you are a low-income property owner in a gentrifying neighborhood, you just hit the jackpot...

Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,391 times
At this particular point in time, gentrification is an overwhelmingly positive thing for Philly, which is a city that faces enormous problems with high levels of poverty, and overcoming decades of disinvestment and outright abandonment.

That is NOT to say that gentrification is by nature a positive thing, or will always be a good thing for Philly.

When gentrification means displacing poverty with productive taxpayers, then it's easy to see the positives.
When it means displacing the middle class, and/or local interesting communities that give a place its character, then it's another story.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:18 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
At this particular point in time, gentrification is an overwhelmingly positive thing for Philly, which is a city that faces enormous problems with high levels of poverty, and overcoming decades of disinvestment and outright abandonment.

That is NOT to say that gentrification is by nature a positive thing, or will always be a good thing for Philly.

When gentrification means displacing poverty with productive taxpayers, then it's easy to see the positives.
When it means displacing the middle class, and/or local interesting communities that give a place its character, then it's another story.
keep in mind the relativity of displacement. over fifty years north central philadelphia population dropped from 270k to less than 100k people. adding a few thousand people isn't going to magically displace a large number of people. for all the people who say philly was known as a blue collar city that ignores the fact that the blue collar view if a 70's view, people have largely viewed philly as a dangerous ghetto since at least the 80's. anyway, it's not really about displacement since there is A LOT of room. I think the bigger issue is people are uncomfortable with change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia